Legislators defend their perks saying private sector gets more tax exemptions

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Camara-de-Diputados-Diario-Libre.jpg

Several deputies took the floor in the 28 September 2021 session of the Chamber of Deputies to argue that the exonerations of vehicles they receive are nothing compared to the billions in tax exemptions the government allows private business.

Deputies Aquilino Serrata, Tobías Crespo and Julito Fulcar argued that sectors seek to discredit the representatives of the National Congress with the issue of the exonerations of motor vehicles.

The deputies reacted to an extensive report, published on 27 September 2021 in Diario Libre, by journalist Mariela Mejía, “Exoneration of vehicles to legislators: a costly privilege that became a business.” The journalist used data from the Customs Agency to reveal that hundreds of luxury vehicles have been imported in the names of legislators over the years.

For instance, of those speaking up, Aquilino Serrata (People’s Force) has...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

jhgoodwin

Feb 23, 2020
I don't think anyone is that worked up over them having the privilege. I think what people find dishonest is being able to *SELL* that privilege.

Probably the best way to fix this going forward is to make sure when people use this privilege it only applies to cars that they own under their own name and if they sell or transfer the vehicle in too short a time afterwards, they should be required to pay the fees. If they give the car to someone else outside of their immediate household to drive, the treatment should be the same as selling or transfer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think anyone is that worked up over them having the privilege. I think what people find dishonest is being able to *SELL* that privilege.

Probably the best way to fix this going forward is to make sure when people use this privilege it only applies to cars that they own under their own name and if they sell or transfer the vehicle in too short a time afterwards, they should be required to pay the fees. If they give the car to someone else outside of their immediate household to drive, the treatment should be the same as selling or transfer.
When you import a car w/ residency....
it cannot be sold for 3(?)yrs..... as I remember

Reactions: jhgoodwin