Warming - Is it Permanent?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The thread on hot summer days was closed because it drifted into Global Warming and the Moderator suggested a Global Warming thread of its own.

And no doubt it has been a hot 3 months in DR, on the North Coast anyway. Finally the past few nights it appears it has started to cool.

Since I ran across this article this morning I thought it relavent to share. Maybe part of a new trend.

COLDEST WINTER ON RECORD STARTING IN ANTARCTICA

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's a start.
I see two people mentioned in your article, one a scientist the other a UN spokesperson. I do not value anything the UN says a basis for anything other than their own agenda
Yes, while this is a recent event, and just making the news, I dare say that you can not call 2 people the 'vast majority of scientists".
Let's see how temperatures develop in the coming months and years. We could be seeing some cooling trends

Reactions: mountainannie

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The planet is overdue for another ice age and humans won't be able to burn enough fossil fuels to stop it if that comes to pass.

Punta Catalina had been short on coal, but finally contracted delivery of enough coal for now to keep some of the lights on in the DR.

China had to shut down many businesses because of a shortage of coal for power plants. Who will step up to fill that need?

Developing nations will require the use of fossil fuels for many years to come, will that continue to impact the climate? For sure.
All the "green power" in the world won't be enough to satisfy them.

Will humans "do enough" to stop this climate change? I don't see how. If you live in a place that is too hot, move to a cooler one. If you are threatened by rising waters, move to higher ground. If you can mitigate the rising waters by building barriers to it, governments could do so.

Will the DR get rid of 20 year old Toyotas on the road and force everyone to buy electric cars? Just imagine how well that would work .

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The thread on hot summer days was closed because it drifted into Global Warming and the Moderator suggested a Global Warming thread of its own.

And no doubt it has been a hot 3 months in DR, on the North Coast anyway. Finally the past few nights it appears it has started to cool.

Since I ran across this article this morning I thought it relavent to share. Maybe part of a new trend.

COLDEST WINTER ON RECORD STARTING IN ANTARCTICA

Article from Breitbart.com. Well-known source of unbiased information.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The Wash. Post has turned into the "cartoon paper"

Jan 9, 2004
Article from Breitbart.com. Well-known source of unbiased information.

Touche.

And climate cycles are said to move from glacial to interglacial periods over the course of 100,000 years..............at least that has been determined to be the case for the last million years or so;

So the world, at least based on history, is not likely to end in 12 years due to global warming.........as some have so loudly proclaimed.......to try and fit an agenda.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The entire scientific theory reports that anytime there is a temp up tick or down tick its a catastrophic event. Even if you say ( wow its a beautiful day) the cult will say "see,see global warming is here"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The entire scientific theory reports that anytime there is a temp up tick or down tick its a catastrophic event. Even if you say ( wow its a beautiful day) the cult will say "see,see global warming is here"
Global warming poses a challenge when the issue is a cooling, such as in Antartica. Climate change fits much better.

Reactions: drstock

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
This might be an anomaly, or part of a pattern. will need time to see which it is.
Climate change boils down to higher high's and lower low's. the coldest winter in Antarctica follows that unfortunately..

also "global warming" is such a dumb name for climate change.
I'm all for global warming, I hate the cold. climate change turning forest to desert, or sending a killer hurricane every week, not so much.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The planet is overdue for another ice age and humans won't be able to burn enough fossil fuels to stop it if that comes to pass.

Punta Catalina had been short on coal, but finally contracted delivery of enough coal for now to keep some of the lights on in the DR.

China had to shut down many businesses because of a shortage of coal for power plants. Who will step up to fill that need?

Developing nations will require the use of fossil fuels for many years to come, will that continue to impact the climate? For sure.
All the "green power" in the world won't be enough to satisfy them.

Will humans "do enough" to stop this climate change? I don't see how. If you live in a place that is too hot, move to a cooler one. If you are threatened by rising waters, move to higher ground. If you can mitigate the rising waters by building barriers to it, governments could do so.

Will the DR get rid of 20 year old Toyotas on the road and force everyone to buy electric cars? Just imagine how well that would work .
I have a friend who just bought a new Tesla in Florida. She said charging on the home charger takes 6-8 hours and she can go 285 miles on a full charge. (without lights, aka daytime)
But in order to charge on the go away from being parked in the garage she must find a "Supercharger" station and it takes 15-18 minutes to fully charge.
I think I can get 20 gallons of gas in 8-10 minutes at a petrol station.
So when buying an electric car one must consider where the super charger stations are because otherwise you will be parked a long time

20 year old Toyotas ? - I see some and Nissans too in excess of 30 years still driving around here

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This might be an anomaly, or part of a pattern. will need time to see which it is.
Climate change boils down to higher high's and lower low's. the coldest winter in Antarctica follows that unfortunately..

also "global warming" is such a dumb name for climate change.
I'm all for global warming, I hate the cold. climate change turning forest to desert, or sending a killer hurricane every week, not so much.
Every time the wind blows or doesn't it's climate change, my favorite is when someone gets a sun burn " it's climate change" dry spell ,wet spell whatever fits their narrative. Anything to get more money to prop up the never ending concept of let's study it more and sell more wind farms solar etc.

Reactions: chico bill

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
In not a Scientist , but I think the Global AXIS has shifted somewhat .. there are numerous Scientific Articles about it ... but not much talk in the Media, because its too technical for the average IDIOT
The Position of the NORTH POLE has shifted ,so in other words ..of course the Climate will change .. in different REGIONS of the Planet , especially the Poles .
Colder in Some , Hotter in others . But must people are too busy talking about Gender Studies and all this is too confusing to them .

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In not a Scientist , but I think the Global AXIS has shifted somewhat .. there are numerous Scientific Articles about it ... but not much talk in the Media, because its too technical for the average IDIOT
The Position of the NORTH POLE has shifted ,so in other words ..of course the Climate will change .. in different REGIONS of the Planet , especially the Poles .
Colder in Some , Hotter in others . But must people are too busy talking about Gender Studies and all this is too confusing to them .

I had not heard that before. Thanks for posting. I would like to read up on it if you can recommend a link or 2, and also if it doesn't interfere with my masters program in lesbian dance theory.

Reactions: jd426

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I am still stockpiling winter coats and blankets.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What the Post article says and the way Breitbart reports it are rather different. The Post honestly reports the unusual cold weather in the Antarctic but points out that it is a "blip" in the general trend, while Breitbart describes the Post as having an "alarmist narrative" and is "trying to disguise the bad news".

Anyway. I know that I am outnumbered here on DR1 (unlike in the rest of the world) and nobody will listen to me, so I'll make no further contribution to this thread, which apart from the second sentence in the first post has no DR content whatsoever.