Massive protest in SD about Chris Columbus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

A score of people gathered on Tuesday under the statue of Christopher Columbus, located in front of the Primate Cathedral of America, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to demand that the monument to the admiral be removed from this emblematic point of the capital.

"We don't want Columbus here," said those attending the protest, the first to be called in the Dominican Republic against the exaltation of the navigator.

The activists carried signs expressing their rejection of the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Day because they considered that it commemorates a genocide and spread two large fabrics on the ground, one of them calling Columbus a rapist.

During the act of protest, the attendees, in similar numbers to the police officers who guarded the place, made a circle while one man played a flute and another, a traditional percussion instrument.

For the arithmetically challenged, a score is 20.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I wouldn’t ignore it though. What is it really about ? Those people coming in thinking they own the place

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

A score of people gathered on Tuesday under the statue of Christopher Columbus, located in front of the Primate Cathedral of America, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to demand that the monument to the admiral be removed from this emblematic point of the capital.

"We don't want Columbus here," said those attending the protest, the first to be called in the Dominican Republic against the exaltation of the navigator.

The activists carried signs expressing their rejection of the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Day because they considered that it commemorates a genocide and spread two large fabrics on the ground, one of them calling Columbus a rapist.

During the act of protest, the attendees, in similar numbers to the police officers who guarded the place, made a circle while one man played a flute and another, a traditional percussion instrument.

For the arithmetically challenged, a score is 20

Idiots with no understanding of human history and exploration.
Rather than re-writing history one should study it.

In 1492 when Columbus started his voyages into the unknown without maps, Europe and the world were brutal places.
A ruling elite, murder, torture, no medical knowledge, religion, the stuff that humanity is still made of.
However he did set forth to explore and conquer, not others.

As to the spreading of Smallpox, there was no cure and it was not intentionally spread.
The protestors may as well renounce the Spanish language and Catholic religion, as colonial heritage.

Smallpox was a terrible disease. On average, 3 out of every 10 people who got it died. People who survived usually had scars, which were sometimes severe.
The basis for vaccination began in 1796 when the English doctor Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids who had gotten cowpox were protected from smallpox.

Origin of Smallpox​

The origin of smallpox is unknown. The finding of smallpox-like rashes on Egyptian mummies suggests that smallpox has existed for at least 3,000 years. The earliest written description of a disease like smallpox appeared in China in the 4th century CE (Common Era). Early written descriptions also appeared in India in the 7th century and in Asia Minor in the 10th century.

Highlights from History:​

• 6th Century—Increased trade with China and Korea brings smallpox to Japan.
  • 7th Century—Arab expansion spreads smallpox into northern Africa, Spain, and Portugal.
  • 11th Century—Crusades further spread smallpox in Europe.
  • 15th Century—Portugal occupies part of western Africa, bringing smallpox.
  • 16th Century—European settlers and the African slave trade import smallpox into:
    • The Caribbean
    • Central and South America
  • 17th Century—European settlers bring smallpox to North America.
  • 18th Century—Explorers from Great Britain bring smallpox to Australia.
  • https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/history/history.html
The death of the Arawak-Taino people is a sad historical fact, as is that of many indigenous people and their abuse throughout history,
By military conquest which marks human history in all Nations.
Obviously a great part of the human psyche.

Yet I have admiration for the accomplishments of explorers and scientists, throughout history.
Having to fight against Rulers and religions.
The quest for facts and truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyages_of_Christopher_Columbus#/media/File:Viajes_de_colon_en.svg
Viajes de colon en.svg

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
"Activist Maribel Núñez, from Afro-Dominican Action, told EFE that the Dominican Republic "is the whitest country in the Caribbean, the one that least defends its culture, and it is necessary to decolonize it so that the Dominican people respect their identity," so that they "stop to worship the role that Christopher Columbus played. "
I've yet to meet a single person who "worships" Cristobal. Anyone else?

Those who attended the protest, called by human rights and Afro-descendant groups, dispersed mostly because of the rain that began to intensify a few minutes after the start of the event.
So her fear of getting wet outweighed her concern for the people and culture of D.R.? And she's supposed to lead us out of darkness???
Luckily for the rest of us she lacks Cristobal's courage.

Reactions: cavok and melphis

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Activist Maribel Núñez, from Afro-Dominican Action, told EFE that the Dominican Republic "is the whitest country in the Caribbean, the one that least defends its culture, and it is necessary to decolonize it so that the Dominican people respect their identity," so that they "stop to worship the role that Christopher Columbus played. "
I've yet to meet a single person who "worships" Cristobal. Anyone else?

Those who attended the protest, called by human rights and Afro-descendant groups, dispersed mostly because of the rain that began to intensify a few minutes after the start of the event.
So her fear of getting wet outweighed her concern for the people and culture of D.R.? And she's supposed to lead us out of darkness???
Luckily for the rest of us she lacks Cristobal's courage.
Ignorant woman, both Puerto Rico and Cuba are far whiter than the Dominican Republic. Did Colombus have anything to do with blacks being in the DR.

Reactions: cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I wouldn't call that massive. It was a congregation of a few hot heads. Massive was the protest at the Plaza de la Bandera.

No survey has been done to see what Dominicans think, but if the USA is any indication I would say Columbus is looked upon in a positive light by most. It may not be the message that the media as a whole wants to be widely known, but we are talking about the same media that claims that American tourists put their lives on the line if they vacation in the DR (remember the "mysterious deaths" right before the Covid pandemic and the data showed that the amount of deaths was actually normal?)

New Marist Poll: Americans Support Celebration of Columbus Day by Nearly 2:1 Margin

Last edited:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I wouldn't call that massive. It was a congregation of a few hot heads. Massive was the protest at the Plaza de la Bandera.

No survey has been eone to see what Dominicans think, but if the USA is any indication I would say Columbus is looked upon in a positive light by most. It may not be the message that the media as a whole wants to be widely known, but we are tslking about the same media that claims that American tourists put their lives on the line if they vacation in the DR (remember the "mysterious deaths right before the Covid pandemic and the data showed that the amount of death was actuslly normal?)

New Marist Poll: Americans Support Celebration of Columbus Day by Nearly 2:1 Margin

NALS, I was being sarcastic with my "massive" adjective. :D:D

Reactions: NALs

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Perfect example of why parents need to spank their kids. I also recommend they do what my man Erdogan did with the Turkish Unversities and expel, in some cases jail every single one of those leftist proffessors pushing this crap in their education facilities.
Problem solved.

Reactions: I love Azua

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Perfect example of why parents need to spank their kids. I also recommend they do what my man Edagon did with the Turkish Unversities and expel, in some cases jail every single one of those leftist proffessors pushing this crap in their education facilities.
Problem solved.
You are not being serious are you ?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The headline is deceiving. Not massive, supposedly about 20 people. I am not sure why they have streets and parks named after a guy who enslaved, killed or diseased most of the locals. Just an observation. It is not my country and not my battle.

Reactions: PCMike

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The headline is deceiving. Not massive, supposedly about 20 people. I am not sure why they have streets and parks named after a guy who enslaved, killed or diseased most of the locals. Just an observation. It is not my country and not my battle.
Had he not done all of those things we'd probably be living in some beautiful perfect utopia. Damn those colonizers.

Reactions: NanSanPedro