Construction

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
Hello, i wanted to know if any one as information on the type of sewage in the countryside around Jarabacoa i should anticipate to install on a new construction of a small house and how much would it cost?

Thanks.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Septic and leach field - Don't know the cost but it will depend on tank size, length of leach field and that is driven by your percolation rates of the soil.

Which brings up a good point. Rivers are only allowed to be harvested for cobbles in limited quantities.
Where is open graded rock coming from for leach fields ?

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
Interesting, thank you, when you say a leach field....talking what we have in canada a septic field with all the tube that flow the water through the ground?

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
Ok, looked it up, just another way to say the same!! Just wondering if it would be best to build instead of buying an already built one....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Interesting, thank you, when you say a leach field....talking what we have in canada a septic field with all the tube that flow the water through the ground?
Yes, like I said I do not know what they use for open graded drain rock but certainly some here have built their leaching system.
I never heard of charcoal in a septic tank?
I assume that's odor control - but a properly sealed system with p-traps on all drains and roof vents should not smell.

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
In the same line of discussion, any idea about if a water well is doable and if so, would the water be drinkable???

I'm guessing NOT in area such as Sosua and any coastal city because of downstream from farms and people washing their cows in creeks ;) but maybe in the mountains Jarabacoa, Constanza.

Thanks to you all.!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In the same line of discussion, any idea about if a water well is doable and if so, would the water be drinkable???

I'm guessing NOT in area such as Sosua and any coastal city because of downstream from farms and people washing their cows in creeks ;) but maybe in the mountains Jarabacoa, Constanza.

Thanks to you all.!
I have a well on one of my properties. It is approximately 75 feet deep and gives a lot of water. It is clear but I haven't tested it for drinkability. The guys that drilled it drank the water and are still living. Wells are common in Jrabacoa area.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have a well on one of my properties. It is approximately 75 feet deep and gives a lot of water. It is clear but I haven't tested it for drinkability. The guys that drilled it drank the water and are still living. Wells are common in Jrabacoa area.

75 feet sounds adequate to me. We had 100 footer in Cap Hatien for obvious reasons. We still didn't drink out of it though.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'd feel a lot better about drinking from a 75 footer than I would a 30 footer.

Then again, UV filters would eliminate a lot of doubt.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd feel a lot better about drinking from a 75 footer than I would a 30 footer.

Then again, UV filters would eliminate a lot of doubt.
I don’t know how deep our well is, Mr AE would know I’m sure. The water was lab tested awhile ago and came back exceptionally clean and potable. We used to use it for cooking (rice, coffee, etc) but since we started putting chlorine pucks in the cistern and tinaco we stopped.

We do have an extra 5 gallon jug that we bought at La Sirena (so can’t be exchanged), and now Mr AE usually fills it straight from the well for cooking.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don’t know how deep our well is, Mr AE would know I’m sure. The water was lab tested awhile ago and came back exceptionally clean and potable. We used to use it for cooking (rice, coffee, etc) but since we started putting chlorine pucks in the cistern and tinaco we stopped.

We do have an extra 5 gallon jug that we bought at La Sirena (so can’t be exchanged), and now Mr AE usually fills it straight from the well for cooking.
I used to have a chlorine drip system on the water filtration system at my farm.

I don't remember the brand but it would drip once every 10 minutes or so which was supposedly more than enough.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
I'm guessing NOT in area such as Sosua and any coastal city because of downstream from farms and people washing their cows in creeks ;) ...
Lots of wells in the Sosúa area.

Lots of creeks and rivers filled with garbage that may eventually reach those wells.

Lots of lots filled with garbage first, and the layered with dirt to cap it off; that then flows downstream to wherever, after the rains.

Another potential issue with wells besides the above in the Sosúa area, is salty water...

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
I am looking into these things in hope to build a self sufficient home, thinking solar panels and maybe a windmill if i have the size of land ans heights...and if allowed of course!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am looking into these things in hope to build a self sufficient home, thinking solar panels and maybe a windmill if i have the size of land ans heights...and if allowed of course!
We shipped a small marine windmill down, but never got enough steady winds at our location. One of these days we’ll stick it on Facebook Marketplace.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We shipped a small marine windmill down, but never got enough steady winds at our location. One of these days we’ll stick it on Facebook Marketplace.
Sometimes I can't believe how much we think alike in some things.. :ROFLMAO: