No curfew but with a vaccination card or PCR test to enter establishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Some places now deny entry to foreigners who have been vaccinated in other countries.

And the Ministry of health supports this because supposedly it's to prevent the falsification of cards.

So you DR1 posters on here who have been supporting this mandate so far, let's see how you appreciate this news when you realize that your European/American/Canadian proof just won't be accepted.

Reactions: OldSkool

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mega Mall SD today: Checked everybody to enter. Then checked again at the bank. Checked at two banks I went to: BDH Leon and Haro Lopez.
Went to Jarabacoa supermarket, showed my card but the German couple behind me didnt have their cards with them because they went in last night without the guard asking them. I talked the guard into letting them in. Quite a few people turned away from the bank.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Some places now deny entry to foreigners who have been vaccinated in other countries.

And the Ministry of health supports this because supposedly it's to prevent the falsification of cards.

So you DR1 expats who have been supporting this mandate so far, let's see how you appreciate this news when you realize that your European/American/Canadian proof just won't be accepted.

Maybe in some cases, I observed a doctors note in English being accepted at the BHD as well as European Union online app accepted.

Reactions: aarhus

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

So you DR1 posters on here who have been supporting this mandate so far, let's see how you appreciate this news when you realize that your European/American/Canadian proof just won't be accepted.

I don't know if this is the case here, but the requirement is proof of vaccination AND a cedula or copy of your passport. Some places require both - others nothing.

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona

No one I now has had any issues. Clearly it "can" happen but it's really more about a lack of communication in a small number of places. No doubt that it will get straightened out since denying entry with a valid proof of vaccination goes contrary to the requirements.

Since it was someone with an out of country vaccination I wonder why they did not claim tourist status LOL

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am afraid that you are incorrect. For example, let us use a dictionary, Merriam Webster's in this case, to find one definition of, let's say, an "American":

American noun a citizen of the United States

So, let us use a parallel method for a "Dominican"

Dominican noun a citizen of he Dominican Republic

"Culture" is not the issue here. "Legality" is the issue. I hope you are now better informed.

As for the vaccination cards, do they have any way yet to hold businesses legally accountable for not enforcing the mandate?
Or will the court rule against that mandate today? Stay tuned for updates.
I agree with Windy. He is a citizen as he has followed the legal requirements to obtain it. There is no cultural Dominican citizenship. Not sure why my other post addressing this issue was deleted. This is getting weird.

• Haha

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No one I now has had any issues. Clearly it "can" happen but it's really more about a lack of communication in a small number of places. No doubt that it will get straightened out since denying entry with a valid proof of vaccination goes contrary to the requirements.

Since it was someone with an out of country vaccination I wonder why they did not claim tourist status LOL
Because it doesn’t matter if your tourist once you leave resort…unless going on excursion,bank don’t count..;)

Reactions: OldSkool and cavok

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

Because outside of hotels and tourist activities everyone needs a vaccine card.

If a tourist goes alone in a restaurant or a bank in Santo Domingo, his tourist status becomes meaningless as in those non touristy places, people usually can't read English.

Reactions: windeguy and cavok

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Govt. problem...You do not have to be psychic to anticipate that vaccines administered abroad and documented by a QR code would be an issue here for Juan standing at the front door checking these things. With the exception of a bunch of countries in Europe that have standardized their vaccine apps, these QR codes can only be checked and are valid in the place they were issued. All the verification apps require access to a database of support info of some sort which is currently not yet available internationally. The DR Govt should have specifically said that a photo of your written vaccine card would be acceptable and not have used the words "digital copy" to avoid this type of confusion. Those who live here know this but tourists are not as appreciative of the reality here as the rest of us.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Govt. problem...You do not have to be psychic to anticipate that vaccines administered abroad and documented by a QR code would be an issue here for Juan standing at the front door checking these things. With the exception of a bunch of countries in Europe that have standardized their vaccine apps, these QR codes can only be checked and are valid in the place they were issued. All the verification apps require access to a database of support info of some sort which is currently not yet available internationally. The DR Govt should have specifically said that a photo of your written vaccine card would be acceptable and not have used the words "digital copy" to avoid this type of confusion. Those who live here know this but tourists are not as appreciative of the reality here as the rest of us.
The pcr test done at labs here has QR code on it and shows your test results and doesn’t require app to view..

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
I agree with Windy. He is a citizen as he has followed the legal requirements to obtain it. There is no cultural Dominican citizenship. Not sure why my other post addressing this issue was deleted. This is getting weird.
I suspect that you've missed the point. So has he 🤣😂 LOL

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I suspect that you've missed the point. So has he 🤣😂 LOL
I don’t think I missed the point. There is only one type of citizenship and it’s the legal citizenship obtained by complying with the requirements for it. The other “cultural citizenship” is an imaginary version because you think you have spent enough time with Dominicans and at the colmado drinking presidente. Maybe you learned some bathata and you have eaten la bandera. Also for citizenship you have to really live here and not just visit. I am not sure I want citizenship myself despite probably qualifying for it legally.

Reactions: cavok and OldSkool

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The pcr test done at labs here has QR code on it and shows your test results and doesn’t require app to view..
Let's try not to confuse people even more. The apps/QR codes that are used to verify vaccination status in the EU, Canada and elsewhere are not readable here in the DR. Usually scanning such a QR code queries a database that returns a verified (or not) status. The DR govt was quite specific. The checker is supposed to be looking for your name, age, what vaccine you received and when. If the Rorschach test on your phone doesn't show the required info you run the risk of it not being accepted. Same with the ID component. You may not be asked for it but if you are and do not have it with you...

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
I don’t think I missed the point. There is only one type of citizenship and it’s the legal citizenship obtained by complying with the requirements for it. The other “cultural citizenship” is an imaginary version because you think you have spent enough time with Dominicans and at the colmado drinking presidente. Maybe you learned some bathata and you have eaten la bandera. Also for citizenship you have to really live here and not just visit. I am not sure I want citizenship myself despite probably qualifying for it legally.
I think the point was that despite living here for ages, decades, some never manage, or care to, or bother to assimilate into the ebbs and flows of Dominican life and culture. Which is fine but seems like a waste of potential but, as they say, to each their own. Do you and all that.

I just can't see moving to a place that frustrates and limits me. I'm as free as a bird and will move if that becomes impossible. But it won't, not for me.

Reactions: CristoRey
Status
Not open for further replies.