Joint Declaration: Panama, Costa Rica and DR propose disarming Haiti and creating jobs

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Panama-Presidencia-1024x576.jpeg

Presidents Luis Abinader of the Dominican Republic, Laurentino Cortizo of Panama and Carlos Alvarado of Costa Rica met on Wednesday, 20 October 2021 in Panama City and issued a Joint Declaration that proposes a four-point roadmap to provide definite solutions to the social, economic and political crisis in Haiti whose migration is affecting more countries in the Central American and Caribbean region.

The Joint Declaration also states that there are no guarantees of a free election in Nicaragua where the election is scheduled for 7 November. The trio of leaders urged the freeing of political prisoners and restoring their civil and political rights.

The Joint Declaration also calls for the election of a secretary general of the Central American Integration System (SICA) to strengthen this institution as a vehicle to confront the challenges in the region. The...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Was Haiti itself still (in)directly involved in these talks or is sovereignty simply no longer recognized?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The magic card is of course the US Military, but I can't see that there will be a huge appetite for going into Haiti, given what happened in Afghanistan.
I don’t think it’s the same. Haitians might in this case see the US as liberators from the gangs and extreme corruption. And it’s right in their backyard. Culturally they all imitate US culture. I also think it’s better just the US and no international coalition which will be seen more as an invasion

Reactions: XTraveller

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don’t think it’s the same. Haitians might in this case see the US as liberators from the gangs and extreme corruption. And it’s right in their backyard. Culturally they all imitate US culture. I also think it’s better just the US and no international coalition which will be seen more as an invasion
especially if the DR is involved.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The magic card is of course the US Military, but I can't see that there will be a huge appetite for going into Haiti, given what happened in Afghanistan.
In don't either, but I doubt the gangs will respond to a few thousand marines with the religious ferver of the taliban.

Reactions: aarhus

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
At least some countries in the region are getting together to look for a solution, which is a start. But disarming the country? That will be hard to do. Nobody knows who has guns,

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Continue building the wall between the 2 borders. There is no economical benefit for the US to intervene...... Starting this means you that you are stuck in Haiti for at least a decade. Trying to build a democracy..... not their strongest point.

Reactions: MariaRubia

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Continue building the wall between the 2 borders. There is no economical benefit for the US to intervene...... Starting this means you that you are stuck in Haiti for at least a decade. Trying to build a democracy..... not their strongest point.

A democracy without an economy is pointless. It will always denigrate to mob rule.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I wonder what is rock bottom for Haiti

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I obviously can't speak for every American, but I'm fairly confident that we DO NOT want a single drop of American blood shed in that country.
Apart from the gangs I wonder how much of a resistance there would be. It’s not like the Taliban

Reactions: drstock

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Apart from the gangs I wonder how much of a resistance there would be. It’s not like the Taliban
Like Viet Nam and Afghanistan we'd be giving up the home field advantage. Unless you plan on carpet bombing the entire country someone is going to get hurt. As I mentioned in another post, perhaps the entire planet should invite France to give it a try. I would go a step further and say that they have an historical obligation to do so.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
There'd be resistance alright and it would come from every left leaning media outlet and b*tch *ss NGO
across the globe.
NO!!!!!!
You can't invade Haiti, it's a sovereign nation.
Ok. Yes then it would have to be international. To please them although honestly I think the Haitians would prefer just the US and would be more efficient. I don’t know. When is Haiti at rock bottom. If there is suddenly major starvation and sickness/deaths then it’s an invasion to stop that and I think international law permits that.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Ok. Yes then it would have to be international. To please them although honestly I think the Haitians would prefer just the US and would be more efficient. I don’t know. When is Haiti at rock bottom. If there is suddenly major starvation and sickness/deaths then it’s an invasion to stop that and I think international law permits that.

There is hunger there now, but not starvation. I know everyone young I talk to hates the country and wants out. The older ones have resigned themselves to their lot in life. That is sad.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

It wasn't that long ago UN troops were blamed for sexual assaults and spreading diseases during their attempt to bring some semblance of order to Haiti after the earthquake. I think that left a bad taste in the UN’s mouth. They are not rushing in to help Haiti at the moment.

Anybody who intervenes in Haiti at any level is faced with the massive problem of creating a cultural, economical, and political paradigm shift in a country subjected to decades of dictatorships, government corruption, gang violence, and destruction from hurricanes and earthquakes on an incomprehensible level. Something that requires a commitment of years, access to billions of dollars, and staff willing to risk their lives. Substitute gang violence for warlords and you have an identical situation to what intervening nations faced in Afghanistan, a country described as one where empires go to die.

Given the scale of the problem and the many years it’s had to fester, how can one honestly expect the DR and two other small Caribbean states to have any impact on Haiti? This is an initiative doomed to failure. It’s a token gesture at best. Maybe a gesture made to provoke some response from the US. After the still fresh in American minds US military departure from Afghanistan, that’s not going to happen.

Change in Haiti has to come from within, especially the political will to change. Democracy by military intervention, can‘t be delivered to Haiti at gunpoint or any country for that matter. Iraq and Afghanistan are proof of that.