Time To Move The Bars And Girls From Pedro Clisante

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Is the Ocean Club not open for you to use your Marriott points? I and others have told you it is ready for you any time now.

If you click on your link, it says open in December. Last time it said October and I will believe them when it's possible to actually book a room.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Someone with an iside connection and assurances for the future, or someone willing to waste money?
Those deals are probably being hammered out now. I was wondering the same thing, will they wait until after this year's high/ holiday season to bring in the crews to remove the shacks?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's strange that Windy who lives in Cabarete steps removed from the picturesque hamlet of La Cienega,
Is always opining about Sosua.
I'd rather listen to Ken who has been ling in Sosua for a long time.
I don't live in Sosua but have been there frequently in the last 14 years.

Perhaps you don't realize that Cabarete is part of the District of Sosua and they are only several miles apart?

And that La Cienaga was built up by Canoa illegally selling public park wetlands to people after his trucks filled in the land?

I played in a band called The DRopouts for several years. We started up in a place across from what was called the Britannia then when Ray owned it and is Matteo's Seaside Restaurant now. We played various location in Sosua and Cabarete including the Sosua Street festivals when they used to close the street for pedestrians only.

Back in the good old days that 4 to 5 piece band could play 3 to 4 times a week. Those days are gone.

Most recently I played with Dick Lupino in Sosua and Cabarete with a trio. But then this thing called CV19 hit and fewer people were going out. I am thinking to play solo soon. Time will tell on that.

Ken is certainly knowledgeable about Sosua. Frequenting Sosua for 14 years might make you even more of an expert, at least in certain things, about Sosua, that is true.

Whatever gob.do and investors want,
For the moment the changes have turned Sosua into a dilapidated town, run down with little vibe in the one block centre.
Of course there are pockets of upscale residences.
Overall the town is rather unattractive.
As others have pointed out, driving down the values there in Sosua seems to be a goal where there is a game afoot.
Cabarete has a few going houses and gated condos.
If one likes a generic beach with going prices and restaurants ok.
I can eat better quality food for the same prices or less in the developed world.
Cabarete has a "few going houses and gated condos"? I guess compared to Florida or Santo Domingo/Santiago that is true it is just a few.

Sosua Ocean Village and Casa Linda seem to be doing quite well. Ocean Dream, Cabarete East, Seahorse Ranch, Perla Marina, even Costa Azul finally have new construction and existing houses re-selling again. Encuentro has a number of new residences for sale. Several new developments going in east of Cabarete Center as well. Pandemic buying, so to speak.

Cabarete certainly is not for everyone. No place is.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you click on your link, it says open in December. Last time it said October and I will believe them when it's possible to actually book a room.
Patience then. This is the DR. Things take time here. There is still a pandemic/endemic.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
A few casitas in the main "square on the beach before Papito's, someone is constructing a solid multi level structure on the beach.
Someone with an iside connection and assurances for the future, or someone willing to waste money?
Wasting money. It could get knocked down before it's finished . What a maroon.

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum​

You are going to get such pushback from the whoremongers! Those self proclaimed "Saviors of Sosua" for without them Sosua would evaporate, just like it did during the pandemic, eh? Let's see what they say next, shall we?

Windy set the stage in post 354, with his favourite verbiage.
Anyone responding with a different opinion is labeled by him, you must agree with him.

He is trying to pull himself up, by putting others down.
His mental state is stuck in one place unable to move forward.
I am not trying to put whoremongers down. Not at all. I am just using the most appropriate word for what they are.
If find it comical that people use the word "Gentlemen" when they refer to a John. Whoremongers pay for whores. Do you not agree?
It is not an "opinion" that Johns who visit Sosua are whoremongers, it is a fact. I don't in any way feel superior
because there are whoremongers in Sosua, Cabarete, or in Thailand. You are mistaken about that. People can do whatever they want that is consensual behind closed doors. If you like to pay for sex, you should relish in that, no?

What place forward do I need to go? I see what the government has been trying to do over the past years since I have lived here.
I have seen what the rise of Punta Cana did to north coast tourism and travel. I read the news and pay attention to trends. Last year I even reached normal retirement age in the US. That was 18 years after I retired and started living in Cabarete full time eventually becoming a dual citizen.

They, as in the government and certain business groups, are trying to move "forward" in a certain direction, but these things take so much time here.
Sometimes they run into logistical roadblocks like Marriott did at La Boca.

But please, explain to me where my mental state is stuck in one place? I would really like to hear that explanation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wasting money. It could get knocked down before it's finished . What a maroon.
I thought there was a moratorium on any new buildings on Sosua Beach that was posted by someone somewhere here on DR1?
Agreed that person is less than bright.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'd rather listen to Ken who has been ling in Sosua for a long time.
I don't live in Sosua but have been there frequently in the last 14 years.
Based on some of our previous conversations (and jabs) I thought
you were living there.
Learned something new today.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Two months later I come across this topic and just have to add my two cents worth. I completely agree with you Ken. We are in Sosua Ocean Village and stay away from Playa Sosua on weekends to give the busloads of residents from the city their space. We do go there sometimes through the week as it's a gorgeous beach, but we avoid the town, especially at night like the plague (with the exception of Casa 21) as the vibe isn't our thing. You are RIGHT, if it was cleaned up it would attract a lot more money, big money, not free wings and beer kind of money. Beachfront/oceanfront properties in Sosua are the cheapest in the Caribbean and the only reason why is because of the sex trade running rampant all over the city. So yes, when it's cleaned up and the luxury hotels, tourists and property owners flock in, the money will flow and that will benefit the entire city. Sosua can be a Comfort Inn or a Hilton and more money is spent at a Hilton. Sosua has everything needed to become a world class destination but it's currently a dirty little secret and that's too bad because it's the uneducated Dominicans and Haitians that pay the price. I have no problem with a red light district, but with more opportunities for employment, the girls will have options which they sadly do not have the way things have been.

Have you ever been in a major US city or smaller communities?
Ever walked down the Vegas strip?
The sex trade is everywhere.
In Sosua it became unpleasantly in your face with low class people and internet postings by idiots.
Now there seems to be some change, which so far has not resulted in major infrastructure improvements.

Dominicans old and young are sexually active.
In any barrio people know where to go, women also know how to get their lovers, even grandmothers pay for services of young men.
The upper Dominican class has their residences, families and operates with more discretion, including the wives.
The novias are on their phone, those with money just pay them for an apartment.

You are not in the US, and the warped morals of hookers and chasing Johns do not apply in the DR.
If you have ever travelled, you'll know there are many countries with legal prostitution, unions and medical plans.
Even in Pattaya with in your face lifestyle there is major growth and billions on investments.
High-rise construction and real estate development.
Only covid put a damper on it.

Why do you come to the DR and insist on making a US Disneyland or Vegas out of it?
Comfort Inn, Hilton and possibly fast food restaurants is your dream for the DR, the best you can do???

The DR is beautiful because it is not the US, it is interesting because it is different with a Dominican flavour and lifestyle.
That also includes tipico/ rustic places, like along the new tourist hyw. and all the hamlets around the country.
Sosua beach tipico, as it is... a Dominican beach.
You can just go to the ABC islands if you want sterile US development and cruise ship destination atmosphere.
Hey, then there is Cabarete ;), better at Infinity Blu or Hispañola Beach.
You are OK with Ocean Village and Russians, for typic Dominican atmosphere.
Imagine ,some even resort to Sea Horse Ranch or Cap Cana.

Regardless,
Gob.do and big money developers will decide what happens here.
Many of the Punta Cana resorts are Spanish chains, also some DR money and I think some US money.

If you are concerned about women having options, they actually would have to work on their education, as many do.
Those walking the streets like it.
Free dinners, clothing, condos or houses with pools, cash pay, some have gringos paying their expenses and get invited for offshore trips.
The last thing they want, is to work as a hotel maid cleaning rooms, working in the dining rooms, or as a bar tender.
And even with those jobs some education is necessary in addition to supervised work.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In Sosua it became unpleasantly in your face with low class people and internet postings by idiots.
Now there seems to be some change, which so far has not resulted in major infrastructure improvements.

In any barrio people know where to go, women also know how to get their lovers, even grandmothers pay for services of young men.
The upper Dominican class has their residences, families and operates with more discretion, including the wives.

You are not in the US, and the warped morals of hookers and chasing Johns do not apply in the DR.
If you have ever travelled, you'll know there are many countries with legal prostitution, unions and medical plans.
Even in Pattaya with in your face lifestyle there is major growth and billions on investments.

Why do you come to the DR and insist on making a US Disneyland or Vegas out of it?
Comfort Inn, Hilton and possibly fast food restaurants is your dream for the DR, the best you can do???

The DR is beautiful because it is not the US, it is interesting because it is different with a Dominican flavour and lifestyle.
That also includes tipico/ rustic places, like along the new tourist hyw. and all the hamlets around the country.
You can just go to the ABC islands if you want sterile US development and cruise ship destination atmosphere...

I'm not into hookers at all, but you nailed it with the highlighted statement. If I or others wanted the USA we could go to Miami or other places in Florida. We do not.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I thought there was a moratorium on any new buildings on Sosua Beach that was posted by someone somewhere here on DR1?
Agreed that person is less than bright.
Probably done by someone who was tricked into it. "Don't worry, we've paid everyone off so you're good"
Yes, 4 or 5 years ago you probably still could have paid the local officials off and been "good" but...
although I've zero doubt they would take the money, I'd seriously question just how long they'd be "good" for now a days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some of us actually came to the DR to also be with Dominicans.
I married one, is that enough? Five of my local family are visiting right now. Is that good enough? I sponsored my step daughter to live legally in the USA. Is that enough? Well, she wanted to live with Americans, go figure.

Some of us actually live in Dominican neighbourhoods and not gated gringo communities.
Well, my wife wanted the house as well and at the time the community was not gated, but we did have another in a barrio in Jarabacoa that we recently sold. For now just visiting those we know who live in Dominican neighborhoods will have to do.
Others pine for US fast food and US hotels, to each his own but why not stay home?
Just a Taco Bell please along with a Trader Joe's. I could care less about US hotels. I live here and my reward points are long since used up. Some people might like a US branded place and that is just fine for them. AND< they can use their Marriott points!! Choice is good.

In reply to presumptions that some make about me and others that comment on things: Some seem to think that by explaining the reality of the situation here, that we are in some way in support of that reality. Nothing could be further from the truth. And neither am I the tail that is going to wag that dog as to what the government wants to do with pushing whores to the east end of Pedro Clisante in Sosua or what happens on Sosua Beach. My one vote won't change that in the least. I just wait and see what develops, if anything.

Of course prostitution is everywhere because whores are everywhere and so are whoremongers. Been that way for all time. In the DR, it happens the prostitution is not illegal. If there were laws against it, prohibition never works. For the same reasons the failed drug war never will work.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My Lmmm

Sosua beach tipico, as it is... a Dominican beach.
You can just go to the ABC islands if you want sterile US development and cruise ship destination atmosphere.
Hey, then there is Cabarete ;), better at Infinity Blu or Hispañola Beach.
You are OK with Ocean Village and Russians, for typic Dominican atmosphere.
Imagine ,some even resort to Sea Horse Ranch or Cap Cana.

Regardless,
Gob.do and big money developers will decide what happens here.
Many of the Punta Cana resorts are Spanish chains, also some DR money and I think some US money.

If you are concerned about women having options, they actually would have to work on their education, as many do.
Those walking the streets like it.
Free dinners, clothing, condos or houses with pools, cash pay, some have gringos paying their expenses and get invited for offshore trips.
The last thing they want, is to work as a hotel maid cleaning rooms, working in the dining rooms, or as a bar tender.
And even with those jobs some education is necessary in addition to supervised work.
I have been in theses forums for long time, I awaited at the air port with a welcome sign for some of you guys in your first arrivals at STI.
Seems to me that some people here has change mentality.
I am not saying this to you! I just quote your post cause I like it.

Dominican say... Al que le quepa el sombrero que se lo ponga.

JJ

Reactions: OldSkool

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lobo....
Re: Sexually Active Dominicans

We have all heard of 'Latin Lovers'.... that's what you have here
Hot blooded Latins..... lots of'em .......... both male & female
And they are 'on parade' all the time

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have been there, is that enough.
No ,not really. When was the last time you went there and was it open or not? So far, all you've done is claim your points aren't good there and then mentioned that when at the SD Marriot property(when was that?) that you couldn't book a room at the one in Sosua.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Perhaps you don't realize that Cabarete is part of the District of Sosua and they are only several miles apart?

And that La Cienaga was built up by Canoa illegally selling public park wetlands to people after his trucks filled in the land?

I played in a band called The DRopouts for several years. We started up in a place across from what was called the Britannia then when Ray owned it and is Matteo's Seaside Restaurant now. We played various location in Sosua and Cabarete including the Sosua Street festivals when they used to close the street for pedestrians only.

Back in the good old days that 4 to 5 piece band could play 3 to 4 times a week. Those days are gone.

Most recently I played with Dick Lupino in Sosua and Cabarete with a trio. But then this thing called CV19 hit and fewer people were going out. I am thinking to play solo soon. Time will tell on that.

Ken is certainly knowledgeable about Sosua. Frequenting Sosua for 14 years might make you even more of an expert, at least in certain things, about Sosua, that is true.

As others have pointed out, driving down the values there in Sosua seems to be a goal where there is a game afoot.

Cabarete has a "few going houses and gated condos"? I guess compared to Florida or Santo Domingo/Santiago that is true it is just a few.

Sosua Ocean Village and Casa Linda seem to be doing quite well. Ocean Dream, Cabarete East, Seahorse Ranch, Perla Marina, even Costa Azul finally have new construction and existing houses re-selling again. Encuentro has a number of new residences for sale. Several new developments going in east of Cabarete Center as well. Pandemic buying, so to speak.

Cabarete certainly is not for everyone. No place is.

A well thought out post with good info.

I am cognizant of the district boundaries.
I've heard you play, play solo better than nothing and possibly more control.

The cut in venues is also the result of government restrictions, which have resulted in less vibe in Sosua and of course covid.
CAN and EU tourists are finally arriving in Sosua, but in lesser numbers.
In Cabarete I like the Ocean Dream and adjacent properties.
Camino Del Sol is a waste of time.
In Sosua, I like Las Escalones, Infinity Blu and Hispaõla Beach beside Infinity.
Around La Puntilla are some places with nice views.

Nothing wrong with Cabarete, except traffic jams.
Great for Kite surfers.

La Boca De Yassica was typico/ rustic with the sea food shacks.
Development and habitat destruction and closures are not good.
It should alway be open to the public.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Based on some of our previous conversations (and jabs) I thought
you were living there.
Learned something new today.

Like you I have stayed there many times.

I don't mind the girls, but nothing is top drawer and I detest low class obnoxious gringos.
Also I've met many good Haitians, but I don't like to be overrun by them.
It's the DR not Cap Haitian.
With good manners and discretion all would be better served.
I'm just a short drive away, if the Sosua Abajo jam is not bad.

I live with my wife and child in a Dominican neighbourhood.

I actually would be happy in Las Escalones, Infinity Blu, Hispaõla Beach or some of the Cabarete Ocean Dream Properties.
I am too cheap to pay the USD maintenance fees.
Once I pass away it would be too much of a burden for my wife.

A house with downstairs rental and a rental apartment is a cost effective option.
Great views and breezes upstairs, huge terrace and back balcony.
Still go to Sosua beach fro a swim, snorkel and socialize with friends gringo and Dom.

I've opted for quiet family life.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A few casitas in the main "square on the beach before Papito's, someone is constructing a solid multi level structure on the beach.
Are you saying the government proposed square on the beach is already under construction?