Sunwing Propose New Buffalo NY - Santo Domingo Route

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
it was on tv news today that Sunwing (Vacation Express) is proposing a new Buffalo, NY - SDQ route starting this Summer 2022 while the BUF-PUJ route still exist but seasonal.

I guess they want to lure more Canadians to use it to save tax if your flying out in Toronto.

Would this make sense?

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
it was on tv news today that Sunwing (Vacation Express) is proposing a new Buffalo, NY - SDQ route starting this Summer 2022 while the BUF-PUJ route still exist but seasonal.

I guess they want to lure more Canadians to use it to save tax if your flying out in Toronto.

Would this make sense?
I had no idea Sunwing operated any flights out of Buffalo.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
The challenge is getting to Buffalo at a reasonable cost. A Canadian operated airline will not be bending over backwards by offering cheap flights to Buffalo.

I think the target market is Canadians in southern Ontario. It's always cheap to park in Buffalo and since it's a relatively small airport, it's a breeze to fly into/out of. I know I used to save a lot of money flying into Buffalo as opposed to Toronto.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From So Ontario..... when the land border was closed to vehicle traffic

you ship your car across to the Buffalo airport and the shipper flies you over in a helicopter to the airport
You get your car/RV and go on your way

Very busy last year at many Ontario border points

and now - it works for air travel to the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Could not cross the border by car.... Canada to USA.... air arrival allowed, no vehicles
It re-opens Nov 8th..... 9 days from now for vehicles