Moving from France to DR

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Yip, got it all sorted before we left France. All good and paperwork has been submitted in SD for the local portion - just a waiting process now I imagine. My greatest issue is the DR driving license and when that will arrive - ho hum, patience!
Yip, got it all sorted before we left France. All good and paperwork has been submitted in SD for the local portion - just a waiting process now I imagine. My greatest issue is the DR driving license and when that will arrive - ho hum, patience!
Welcome to the DR. Happy to see you did the right thing toward proper residency.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We did ditch everything with a plug that couldn't "step down" and once we get the housing sorted, then we will start replacing those items that are needed - if you have a suggestion of reliable stores in SD that would be most useful.
Corripio, their main store is on Ave Kennedy near the intersection with José López. They also have stores throughout.

Molina in the Naco Shopping Center on Tiradentes in Naco (the side without a highrise attached, the same plaza is on both side of the street).

Cecomsa has electronics, computers, etc. They are on Tiradentes in Naco.

There is a selection of electronics, kitchenwares, etc in several department stores throughout the city (Unidos on Sarasota, most Sirena, Jumbo on Luperón is the largest of that chain to name a few).

Reactions: OldSkool

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I am hoping I can just convert my current license and not do the whole application. Do you know where I can find a list of which countries they allow conversions from? I have converted my license in various countries and the though of needing to pass a test (no doubt in Spanish) gives me palpitations .. too old for that :)
I have a UK driving licence and that can be certified here to get a Dominican licence. However, since I live on the north coast and the certification had to be done in Santo Domingo, I considered it easier just to take the test and get the licence in Puerto Plata. However, if you have absolutely no Spanish, the test could be harder for you. If you have a little Spanish you shouldn't have a problem.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have a UK driving licence and that can be certified here to get a Dominican licence. However, since I live on the north coast and the certification had to be done in Santo Domingo, I considered it easier just to take the test and get the licence in Puerto Plata. However, if you have absolutely no Spanish, the test could be harder for you. If you have a little Spanish you shouldn't have a problem.
don't know about now but when I took the test some years back was a multiple choice video, common sense answered the questions. answers were SI o NO or a number from the choices.

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Yes, I am hoping I can just convert my current license and not do the whole application. Do you know where I can find a list of which countries they allow conversions from? I have converted my license in various countries and the though of needing to pass a test (no doubt in Spanish) gives me palpitations .. too old for that :)
Hello,
I am French and I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 6 years, with husband and child.
You can use your French driving license only as long as the license holder is legally resident, In the case of a 30-day tourist card, you can drive 30 days with it, if you obtained from the DGM an extension of stay to 90 or 120 days , you can then continue driving until the end of this proragation.
If the holder arrived with a visa, he will be able to drive until the expiry date of this one.
The international license is not valid in the Dominican Republic.
In your case, you must wait until you have received your first "permanent cedula" to pass the Dominican driving license.

The process is relatively simple:
You must register online on the INTRANT site, with your cedula number, choose an appointment date to pass the "Permiso o Carnet de Aprendizaje Mayores de 18 Años", a theoretical exam which corresponds to the code in France.
The exam is done on site on a computer, 20 questions in Spanish or English.
For that you have to come up with
• a "Certificado de NO Antecedentes Penales (RD $ 600.00)"
• copy of your celdula
• receipt of payment from the Service (RD $ 2000.00), which you will have paid to BANRESERVAS

When you have obtained this Permiso o Carnet de Aprendizaje, you will have to wait 2 weeks I believe to take the "practico exam", (RD $ 2500.00), same process, set the appointment online,a d follow the steps.

I have just done the first part of the process in Puerto Plata, and I am waiting for my appointment to pass the driving, which is now done on a simulator (not in a car in the streets).
Good to know: the driving license must be renewed every 4 years, and every 2 years from the age of 65.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me questions.
Kind regards and welcome to DR

Reactions: Squat

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello,
I am French and I have lived in the Dominican Republic for 6 years, with husband and child.
You can use your French driving license only as long as the license holder is legally resident, In the case of a 30-day tourist card, you can drive 30 days with it, if you obtained from the DGM an extension of stay to 90 or 120 days , you can then continue driving until the end of this proragation.
If the holder arrived with a visa, he will be able to drive until the expiry date of this one.
In your case, you must wait until you have received your first "permanent cedula" to pass the Dominican driving license.

You must register online on the INTRANT site, with your cedula number, choose an appointment date to pass the "Permiso o Carnet de Aprendizaje Mayores de 18 Años", a theoretical exam which corresponds to the code in France.
• copy of your celdula
• receipt of payment from the Service (RD $ 2000.00), which you will have paid to BANRESERVAS

When you have obtained this Permiso o Carnet de Aprendizaje, you will have to wait 2 weeks I believe to take the "practico exam", (RD $ 2500.00), same process, set the appointment online,a d follow the steps.

I have just done the first part of the process in Puerto Plata, and I am waiting for my appointment to pass the driving, which is now done on a simulator (not in a car in the streets).
Good to know: the driving license must be renewed every 4 years, and every 2 years from the age of 65.
sorry, i wrote a mistake, you have to wait until you get your first TEMPORAL CEDULA, to get the Dominican driving licence

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In your case, you must wait until you have received your first "permanent cedula" to pass the Dominican driving license...
I am wondering if my Dominican driving license is recognized in France. I have both nationalities, but only have the Dominican license. Also can I obtain a French equivalence for my DR license?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am wondering if my Dominican driving license is recognized in France. I have both nationalities, but only have the Dominican license. Also can I obtain a French equivalence for my DR license?
I can tell you that it is accepted in France and ANY European Union country. I rent cars and use it all the time in Europe and other countries.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Frenchfamily. I used to be adamant that the legal time in the DR equaled the legal time of your foreign driver's license.
They are actually separate and independent issues controlled by different ministries. I looked up the laws and they are separate.

And so, a foreign driver's license is valid for 90 days unless and until they change the laws to link them.

I have only driven in the US and Mexico with my DR license outside of the DR. I see no reason it would not be valid anywhere in the world.
At the beginning, I didn't even have a real DR license that I used in California and Mexico... oops...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I can tell you that it is accepted in France and ANY European Union country. I rent cars and use it all the time in Europe and other countries.
Thanks for the info! A question about your nationality: when you present your Dominican driver's license, do you also use your Dominican passport, or your other nationality's?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I too carry only a Dominican license..... I'm a Cdn and DR citizen

Never had a problem.
My DR license is on file at my US bank as my ID.... no other papers asked for

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the info! A question about your nationality: when you present your Dominican driver's license, do you also use your Dominican passport, or your other nationality's?
If they ask I show the Dominican one. But usually to rent a car they only want a driver's license.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Corripio, their main store is on Ave Kennedy near the intersection with José López. They also have stores throughout.

Molina in the Naco Shopping Center on Tiradentes in Naco (the side without a highrise attached, the same plaza is on both side of the street).

Cecomsa has electronics, computers, etc. They are on Tiradentes in Naco.

There is a selection of electronics, kitchenwares, etc in several department stores throughout the city (Unidos on Sarasota, most Sirena, Jumbo on Luperón is the largest of that chain to name a few).
Thank you for the list, I will pop in to them in the next few days.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hello,

• copy of your celdula

Good morning, thank you for the detailed response. We have the French Embassy doing the letter for our driving permit, but now that you mention that you cannot just convert it - then I think I will look at my other driving licenses and see if I can convert them instead. So thank you for the heads up on the French one! I have a one year visa at the moment and am waiting for the Cedula... so I will just continue to drive with what I have until I can do the changeover. Thank you.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
I am not sure if the French government will exchange your DR one (they exchanged my South African one, but would not exchange my Singaporean one), I would give your prefecture a call where you are resident as they do the conversion. Just bear in mind that the prefecture keep the actual license you hold. So if you went to France and did the conversion (if it is allowed) they will keep your DR license and not return it until you give up your French license.... this just means getting another DR one, right. It is a stupid process, but alot of things at the prefecture are just non-sensical. As for driving in France on a DR license I would say ask the prefecture or just call one of the driving schools in France and they will be able to tell you quite quickly.

You may however find the prefecture question why you do not have a French license already since you are a French passport holder, you may need a lot of patience! BUT on the upside, since Covid everything is by appointment at the prefecture and it is very efficient as opposed to those hours long queues from the past.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am not sure if the French government will exchange your DR one (they exchanged my South African one, but would not exchange my Singaporean one), I would give your prefecture a call where you are resident as they do the conversion. Just bear in mind that the prefecture keep the actual license you hold. So if you went to France and did the conversion (if it is allowed) they will keep your DR license and not return it until you give up your French license.... this just means getting another DR one, right. It is a stupid process, but alot of things at the prefecture are just non-sensical. As for driving in France on a DR license I would say ask the prefecture or just call one of the driving schools in France and they will be able to tell you quite quickly.

You may however find the prefecture question why you do not have a French license already since you are a French passport holder, you may need a lot of patience! BUT on the upside, since Covid everything is by appointment at the prefecture and it is very efficient as opposed to those hours long queues from the past.
most countries will only allow to to hold one licence.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
most countries will only allow to to hold one licence.
Nah, I've held up to 4 valid licenses from various countries at once. Granted I cannot renew them without returning to the country to do so - so they expire and I just gather more as we move. No country asks you what licenses you hold when you get your residence, they just want you to hold their license after a certain period of residence. So when you live in say Singapore, you need a Singaporean license - obtained within a year of arrival, they don't care what other licenses are floating around in your wallet.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hello,

• copy of your celdula

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to leave an update here for future readers who may find it informative. I was indeed able to exchange my French drivers license without doing a theoretical or other test. Obviously we needed all the medical checks and appointments- but it was straightforward and fairly painless once all paperwork was gathered