Migracion has Some New Posts

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think what you may see change is enforcement......

They could be reiterating the law before getting more strict

and note - the overstay"fee" is not a work around.... it's a penalty
So far that is what I got out of it, but I haven't had time to read through it fully for understanding yet.

I think I saw something about visitors having to show a ticket out of the country, but even that is still nothing new.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It may change the day they think they have enough tourists.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
It isn't about tourists. It is about people that overstay. They are not tourists.
Why you think there are only snowbirds overstaying?
There are actualy people in this world with more than 7 days vaccation.... And some of them like to travel around in the DR. And yes those are tourist even being longer here then 30 days....
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Big

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I guess DR govt is hungry for money, that's why the overstay fee went up so much. I think the overstay thing needs to be abolished.

Create a new tourist stay program, more effective and affordable. The first 90 days, it's free no fee. then if you want stay 3 more months, add $100. If you want stay year or more, that's $250 per year up to 5 years. Now, that's affordable and less BS. More transparent and simple for all tourists.

I would also drop the $10 Tourist tax and also I would cut the Airfare DR taxes in half. Then you will see tourist will start flocking here more than ever.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Peterj

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I guess DR govt is hungry for money, that's why the overstay fee went up so much. I think the overstay thing needs to be abolished.

Create a new tourist stay program, more effective and affordable. The first 90 days, it's free no fee. then if you want stay 3 more months, add $100. If you want stay year or more, that's $250 per year up to 5 years. Now, that's affordable and less BS. More transparent and simple for all tourists.

I would also drop the $10 Tourist tax and also I would cut the Airfare DR taxes in half. Then you will see tourist will start flocking here more than ever.
I agree with something like that. Just make it legal to stay long term as a tourist and charge for it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Why charge them; they spend money everyday anyway, why this greed. Make it pleasant for them and they might stay longer and invite friends & family....
I was thinking make the overstay fee an upfront charge instead to pay online. I don’t think it’s greed to charge something.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why you think there are only snowbirds overstaying?
There are actualy people in this world with more than 7 days vaccation.... And some of them like to travel around in the DR. And yes those are tourist even being longer here then 30 days....
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Did I say it was about snowbirds? No, I did not. Snowbirds are just one subset of those who are not tourists.

I said it was not about tourists. Tourists can stay legally for 30 days on a tourist card. Those who want to stay longer are doing so at the whim of the government , via regulations, not upon any laws that allow them to stay. Hence those people are not legally tourists, but rather are allowed to pay a fine, for either up to a total of 120 days up front, or upon their leaving for any days they stay over the 30 day tourist card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with something like that. Just make it legal to stay long term as a tourist and charge for it.
The laws would have to change for that. I agree they should change the laws and come up with a 6 month snowbird visa payable up front. And coordinate that would being able to drive legally on a foreign license being valid for up to that 6 months. But for some reason, the government does not do that. There simply aren't enough people that stay more than 30 days for it to be an issue worthy of changing the laws.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why charge them; they spend money everyday anyway, why this greed. Make it pleasant for them and they might stay longer and invite friends & family....
Not charging would mean the country has zero control of its borders. That is why there is a fine for overstaying the legal time of a tourist card.

To what other country in the world can you go to and just stay as long as you want without legal residency or citizenship there?

The DR is still the most lax about this of just about any other country by charging the fines they do.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I haven't heard about the the overstay fees going up(link?). In fact, in USD terms, the fees have actually gone down.. Tourists can apply online to stay for up to 120 days last time I checked for 5000 pesos. That's only about $90USD. Not bad.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The laws would have to change for that. I agree they should change the laws and come up with a 6 month snowbird visa payable up front. And coordinate that would being able to drive legally on a foreign license being valid for up to that 6 months. But for some reason, the government does not do that. There simply aren't enough people that stay more than 30 days for it to be an issue worthy of changing the laws.
And it should be possible to renew the 6 months 4 times. After two years one should become a resident.