Regular Mail

Hilari

Jun 8, 2021
New Jersey
Is it true that there is no regular Mail in the DR as in the US.? I sent a package to the DR via "regular mail" from the US and it hasn't arrived yet. I sent it on October 2, 2021. Should I try to get a refund or wait.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Is it true that there is no regular Mail in the DR as in the US.? I sent a package to the DR via "regular mail" from the US and it hasn't arrived yet. I sent it on October 2, 2021. Should I try to get a refund or wait.
There is mail service in the DR. What is lacking is mail delivery in some areas. Here in Sosua we go to the local Post Office and search through the stacks periodically. They stopped delivering about 8 years ago!

Reactions: Billp16 and cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had several -
I was outside the P.O. one day and the girl came out to ask me if I knew a Wm Webster... !!!

She had mail for me - 4 Soc Security checks - a few thousand $$
She told me there was another in Nagua - coming tomorrow.

The system actually works.

Recently, a man came to my gate and called my name.... he had a letter for me

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back in the 1970s, before Internet, when a phone call cost a couple of dollars a minute, Mr AE and I wrote letters. He lived in Santo Domingo. Balaguer was President. Throughout the 80s I sent birthday and Christmas cards to my inlaws, often with cash in them, they all got there. By the 90s I stopped, mail was taking 3-4 months, sometimes never arrived, and by then there were ways to wire money that got delivered. Ah, the good old days.

The only mail we get these days is our electric bill, they roll it up and stick it in the gate.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The only way regular mail might work is to get an "apartado" (a post office box) at your local Imposdom location. Where I do volunteer work in Puerto Plata, our office has one. The "mensajero" visits it regularly to pick up the accumulated mail to bring to us. That has worked fairly well as long as I have been there.

Obviously, a PO box address is one that would be most likely to get regular delivery!

I'm not talking about couriers, just a traditional post office box at your local Dominican postal service location.

Reactions: Grampa

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There is mail service in the DR. What is lacking is mail delivery in some areas. Here in Sosua we go to the local Post Office and search through the stacks periodically. They stopped delivering about 8 years ago!
I'll never forget the time a letter was mistakenly sent to my address here. I went to the Sosua post office and they brought out a big box of mail and told me - here, look - maybe you can find it in the box. It wasn't there.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
OP may want to consider using a postal forwarding address in the future if he/ she plans on being here for more than a couple of weeks. Altough not perfect, they are a heck of a lot more reliable than regular post.

It's my understanding that these days the U.S. Postal Service is about as reliable as the Dominican Postal Service.

Good luck.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Still waiting for letter sent to here about 10 years ago. On the other hand outgoing seems to work ok. I go to the main post office here in SD mail with tracking and it takes about 2 weeks.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
OP may want to consider using a postal forwarding address in the future if he/ she plans on being here for more than a couple of weeks. Altough not perfect, they are a heck of a lot more reliable than regular post.

It's my understanding that these days the U.S. Postal Service is about as reliable as the Dominican Postal Service.

Good luck.

CR, do you use one? If so, whom? BM Cargo, who I use for packages, tells me they won't forward credit cards.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
CR, do you use one? If so, whom? BM Cargo, who I use for packages, tells me they won't forward credit cards.
I had this problem awhile back. I contacted my CC company and paid a fee for Fedex shipping straight to the office of EPS where I live. Of course I told them to look for it and call me. Worked well.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes.
I use EPS here in Santiago.
Used them while living in Santo Domingo too. Never had a problem with them however I've never inquired about receiving credit cards. Can't see why it would be a problem. They provide good service and do a fantastic job in my opinion...
and for those of us who live down here we know how rare that is.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
There actually IS regular mail.

We used to have parcels shipped by family in the UK full of Xmas goodies.........that we got the next summer usually 🤔🤔.

We also get letters regularly, swiss votations, so I guess they are sent by the embassy in SD.
They also always arrive late..... But hey ! They arrive😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No need to send overnight FedEx, UPS, or DHL, letters to your courier's office. All of them have delivered straight to my condo door. Not to Cabarete anyway. Maybe if you live out in the boondocks(?).

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Regular mail goes through INPOSDOM. Whatever is sent will reach its destination. I have received several packages via INPOSDOM, though notice I said received. I personally don't send anything that has to be touched by INPOSDOM.

The issue with INPOSDOM when mailing stuff to or from the USA is that they actually collect the mail and packages going or coming from there in an entire month, because everything is sent/arrived from the USA on one flight. Yes, I said one flight, one per month. Other Dominican courriers such as EPS are faster because they sent and receive their US mail/packages several times a month. Once the package arrives at the INPOSDOM palace in SD, it has to go through the processes of being sorted out along with the rest of the month long mail. Once that is done, you go to pick it up at the palace or is sent by them to the INPOSDOM postal office closest to your town and you pick it up there. I'm not sure if they deliver.

In anycase, whenever I have received packages from INPOSDOM, I remember reading the stamps they put and it said something express or something like that, so that could be their "faster" service. Granted, the first package I received in the spring of this year arrived rather quickly, but I think that one coincided with the week they were sending everything across the ocean. The other two times I even forgot I was expecting mail. lol

It will get there... eventually. If it went through their "normal" service it could take longer, but I have no experience with that one. Good luck.

Last edited: