Thanksgiving ???

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
You know that family and friends in your home country, in this case the U.S., have either never traveled or have no concept of what it means to live in another country that is not the U.S. when they ask you what your Thanksgiving plans are.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
For sure, YMMV. I am definitely not throwing cold water on Thanksgiving and its possibility in the D.R. But for me, living with a Dominican family for 12 years and not having any American friends, it makes no sense. The people who are important in my life have never heard of Thanksgiving. As you know, the holiday here that is most like Thanksgiving in the U.S. is on December 24.

When my sister asked on the phone what my Thanksgiving plans were, I thought: What? Thanksgiving is not celebrated in the D.R.!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I remember in the early days of DR1 the DR1ers would get together at Rockys for a meal and fun times.
Quiz. Go back to Rocky's Thanksgiving about 20 years ago and give the name of Marc's dog. Let's see how fast someone gets it..............

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Always celebrate Thanksgiving here. Most everyone here I have come across knows what El Dia de Accion de Gracias is. It is one of my favorite holidays.

Reactions: Gadfly and AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That was his second dog . The first one was named Rocky. And of course Marc named the business after him. But he died early on.

Had to be more specific with the time line... lol

Reactions: SKY

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Don't be silly, tradition comes from within! Here in Sosua we are having Roast Turkey, Sausage stuffing, Mashed potato, Gravy, Carrots, Brussel sprouts, Cranberry sauce and desserts. Holidays are what you make them!!

Whilst on the subject of thanksgiving meals, can we have a conversation about brussels sprouts? I am quite partial to a brussels sprout but in DR I have only ever come across them frozen, and all attempts to cook them including spraying with oil and putting in a hot oven, hot air fryer, steaming, boiling, have resulted in horrible mush. Has anyone had an unsoggy sprout in DR? Or found them fresh?

Reactions: Grampa

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Whilst on the subject of thanksgiving meals, can we have a conversation about brussels sprouts? I am quite partial to a brussels sprout but in DR I have only ever come across them frozen, and all attempts to cook them including spraying with oil and putting in a hot oven, hot air fryer, steaming, boiling, have resulted in horrible mush. Has anyone had an unsoggy sprout in DR? Or found them fresh?

One of the reasons I picked the DR is that brussels sprouts are illegal here. Lets keep it that way.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I find them in Super Pola, in Sosua. So La Sirena should also carry them.

Reactions: Grampa