It’s the police’s time to line up to get paid in checks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Policias-cobran-cheques-Diario-Libre.jpg

Diario Libre reports that police are required to stand in line to pick up this month’s paychecks personally. For years, government officers, including police officers, have been paid with a money transfer to an assigned bank account. Now the Comptroller Office is requiring each beneficiary to go in person to pick up the month’s check so that an independent person can verify if the person whose name is on the check is employed in the role for which the person is getting paid for.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

18 November 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
One time deal Johne.

They do it once and anyone who doesn't show up is deleted from the payroll. When they did it in other government departments there were hundreds who were being paid but weren't working there, some believed to be in the US, some dead, some completely made up.

The longer this drum beat of eliminating corruption goes on, the more the message will get through to people that behaviour and culture has to change. But it will take years and will never be completely eradicated.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The former President never talk about corruption as if it never existed........

I don't think he could have done and kept a straight face. He would have needed some serious acting training to pull that one off, given what we now know about how deep in the cuck his family were.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They do it once and anyone who doesn't show up is deleted from the payroll. When they did it in other government departments there were hundreds who were being paid but weren't working there, some believed to be in the US, some dead, some completely made up.

The longer this drum beat of eliminating corruption goes on, the more the message will get through to people that behaviour and culture has to change. But it will take years and will never be completely eradicated.
I'm getting the feeling here it's 10's of thousand .... I have to say Mr president is on it.....

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

also need to improve the education ... can't fix stupied

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Agreed, but hard to do when the Ministry of Education is where a lot of fraud seems to be taking place.
Some steal a little.
Some steal a little more.
Some steal everything they can get their hands on.
It's a cultural thing and it can be traced all the way back to the Spanish Crown.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Some steal a little.
Some steal a little more.
Some steal everything they can get their hands on.
It's a cultural thing and it can be traced all the way back to the Spanish Crown.
There are plenty of well educated thieves. Knowledge is not wisdom. I read this the other day, and believe it to be true: Evil educated oppressors are not merely ignorant – anything but! They may well know the history of suffering and kindness better than most. They (between them) know the biological, psychological and sociological facts about human experience, suffering and death. No, the difference between the educated and the uneducated is that one is more calculating and able to impose his will on a larger number. One can come up with more efficient ways to kill. One can articulate himself better and deceive more people. Education does not make people like this (although for some people, it fuels the existing flame that is their own sense of personal greatness). Similarly, education does not stop people from being like this. I suppose it is possible that when people say that oppressively-minded, bigoted people really just need education, by “education” they mean something like “persuading people to be tolerant and accepting of everyone.” But this makes the suggestion vacuous, because it would boil down to saying “people who are cruel, bigoted and oppressive need to be taught not to be cruel, bigoted and oppressive.” And this surely isn’t what education means. To be educated means to be taught to understand facts and ideas. If all you mean by “education” is “getting someone to a point where they share my values,” then how is it that when regimes under Hitler and Stalin did that very thing you call it “propaganda”?

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There are plenty of well educated thieves. Knowledge is not wisdom. I read this the other day, and believe it to be true: Evil educated oppressors are not merely ignorant – anything but! They may well know the history of suffering and kindness better than most. They (between them) know the biological, psychological and sociological facts about human experience, suffering and death. No, the difference between the educated and the uneducated is that one is more calculating and able to impose his will on a larger number. One can come up with more efficient ways to kill. One can articulate himself better and deceive more people. Education does not make people like this (although for some people, it fuels the existing flame that is their own sense of personal greatness). Similarly, education does not stop people from being like this. I suppose it is possible that when people say that oppressively-minded, bigoted people really just need education, by “education” they mean something like “persuading people to be tolerant and accepting of everyone.” But this makes the suggestion vacuous, because it would boil down to saying “people who are cruel, bigoted and oppressive need to be taught not to be cruel, bigoted and oppressive.” And this surely isn’t what education means. To be educated means to be taught to understand facts and ideas. If all you mean by “education” is “getting someone to a point where they share my values,” then how is it that when regimes under Hitler and Stalin did that very thing you call it “propaganda”?
Uh....
Ya lost me.
Not sure what I said to encourage this type of response. I'm convinced 100% it's a cultural thing. Zero to do with an individual's education or lack thereof.
Sadly lying, cheating and stealing (being clever) are all intricate parts of day to day life in this country. Zero chance it will change during the course of this current administration.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Uh....
Ya lost me.
Not sure what I said to encourage this type of response. I'm convinced 100% it's a cultural thing. Zero to do with an individual's education or lack thereof.
Sadly lying, cheating and stealing (being clever) are all intricate parts of day to day life in this country. Zero chance it will change during the course of this current administration.
I reluctantly tend to agree with you. The reality is that lying is seen as a bad thing in countries like the US. Children are taught from a very early age that it's wrong to lie, and people who consistently lie are ostracised. And in DR the values are different. Everyone dreams of being a politician so they can steal some money, not so that they can bring about change or make the country a better place.

I think this is one of the hardest parts of living here, trying to understand that people are wired differently and have different sets of ethics.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I reluctantly tend to agree with you. The reality is that lying is seen as a bad thing in countries like the US. Children are taught from a very early age that it's wrong to lie, and people who consistently lie are ostracised. And in DR the values are different. Everyone dreams of being a politician so they can steal some money, not so that they can bring about change or make the country a better place.

I think this is one of the hardest parts of living here, trying to understand that people are wired differently and have different sets of ethics.

It's not universal. The Dominicanos/as and Haitianos/as I count as friends are not that way at all. Now, most of my circle of friends, outside of my barrio, are from church or from a Christian organization.