Public Health not pleased with massive attendance at baseball games

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Asistencia-masiva-a-los-estadios-Diario-Libre.png

A person would have to be deaf, mute, and blind to not know that this is the winter league baseball season in the Dominican Republic. It is what is happening for the baseball-crazy people of this country.

As it so happens, this year’s tournament is very competitive and features many MLB stars, as well as well-known fixtures from years past. As proof of this, the Escogido team just signed Aaron Hicks, an outfielder for the New York Yankees. He will probably face Kutter Crawford, a Boston Red Sox pitcher who is on the 40-man roster who pitches for the Estrellas Orientales. That is how this year is going.

As a result, the stadiums are seeing very high attendance. Games between major rivalries (Aguilas-Licey; Licey-Escogido; Estrellas – Toros for example) are seeing the grandstands packed with fans.

But the Ministry of Public Health, which had reached an...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Recent daily reports show cases dropping..... the daily and 4 week % are under 11%

DR doing better than Germany---

Covid latest news: Germans will be 'vaccinated, cured or dead' by winter's end, warns health minister​

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cured? Hmm. The Germans have a cure? Fascinating. I would suggest that is not likely.

This shows cases going up again in the DR:

Look at the daily cases and you can see the start of a new wave. The 4th wave of CV19.

Daily New Cases in the Dominican Republic​

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cured? Hmm. The Germans have a cure? Fascinating. I would suggest that is not likely.

This shows cases going up again in the DR:

Look at the daily cases and you can see the start of a new wave. The 4th wave of CV19.

Daily New Cases in the Dominican Republic​

Cured - I think he means 'have gotten over CV19'.....
cured in that sense.... or dead

The cases are below 9% today in RD.... both daily & 4 week averages
seems we're doing well.... so far

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cured - I think he means 'have gotten over CV19'.....
cured in that sense.... or dead

The cases are below 9% today in RD.... both daily & 4 week averages
seems we're doing well.... so far
Give it time, the wave will pick back up its pace again.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
When the Euros soccer happened earlier this year, they had 80,000 attending at some stadia, no face-mask requirement, no social distancing but it didn't cause a huge spike in cases. From what I understand the virus is very difficult to catch outside, so these types of events are low risk.

So much of life is lived outside in DR, and when people are inside they have windows open and fans blowing, and together with the high temperature, in my opinion this is a very hostile environment for the virus. They should be far more concerned about people dancing or singing in a church, but of course these are things that middle class decision-makers do so won't be regulated.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They should be far more concerned about people dancing or singing in a church, but of course these are things that middle class decision-makers do so won't be regulated.
Those same people are the only thing standing between peace and absolute chaos within this nation. You have chosen to live in the only country on the planet with a picture of the Bible on their National Flag so please....

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You have chosen to live in the only country on the planet with a picture of the Bible on their National Flag so please....

Gosh I have never noticed that it's a bible before. In reality I suspect it would be a bible with the middle pages cut out so that dodgy things could be stashed in it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Gosh I have never noticed that it's a bible before. In reality I suspect it would be a bible with the middle pages cut out so that dodgy things could be stashed in it.
No doubt.
Sometimes we forget we are only a guest.

Reactions: Grampa

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those same people are the only thing standing between peace and absolute chaos within this nation. You have chosen to live in the only country on the planet with a picture of the Bible on their National Flag so please....
What nonsense.

Lobbying efforts exist to remove that image on the flag. I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Now back to what kinds of restrictions we can see coming up at baseball games.