Cab platform president assures that announced agreement is a trap

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Odalis-Vega-Hoy-e1637844390320.png

The president of the platform taxi cabs association sees the agreement reached by Uber and the National Institute of Transit and Land Transport (Intrant) with traditional taxi associations as a trap.

While the agreement was announced on Tuesday, 24 November 2021, Odalis Vega, president of the Dominican Associations of Drivers by Applications (Adocapps), says it was not signed.

He said the Intrant and traditional taxi groups insist on making mandatory that platform cab drivers keep a one kilometer distance from airport and hotels, where most of their customers require pickups. The entities are adamant that only the traditional taxis can access the hotels and the airport.

“We cannot enter because there is the issue of the distance, that they do not want to give in on that… there is no agreement at all,” he said.

Vega told the interviewers of Más Cerca broadcast on Studio...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: bachata and Grampa

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, if what this guy says is true, the deal is completely one-sided. If the Ubers can't go near airports or hotels they lose the main source of business. And if they have to charge the same as regular taxis, it means the licensed taxis still charge what they like, with no competition on prices.

However, if I was a licenced cab owner, with an expensive, large, air-conditioned vehicle, I would probably agree with the new agreement.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The only investment Uber has is Dam invisible platform, they come and want to control the whole Taxi industry.
Kick them out there...
Where is Antonio Martes, Juan Martes, Juan Ubieres and all my people of the gremios choferiles?

JJ

Reactions: jd426 and CristoRey

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The only investment Uber has is Dam invisible platform, they come and want to control the whole Taxi industry.
Kick them out there...
Where is Antonio Martes, Juan Martes, Juan Ubieres and all my people of the gremios choferiles?

JJ

Put it this way : if clients were satisfied with regular taxis, they wouldn't have switched to Uber.......

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Kick them out there...

JJ
UBER brings a lot more than that. They have brought a dependable app that secures your rate and gives you coordinates, newer vehicles, better service and all at a 1/3 of the price of a old dirty cab with a driver that wants to increase the rate when arriving at your destination. UBER is going nowhere. I use UBER all the time when in Santo Domingo as do most people of the new generations.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So long as the scales are tilted no signed agreement will be worth the paper it was written on.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
UBER brings a lot more than that. They have brought a dependable app that secures your rate and gives you coordinates, newer vehicles, better service and all at a 1/3 of the price of a old dirty cab with a driver that wants to increase the rate when arriving at your destination. UBER is going nowhere. I use UBER all the time when in Santo Domingo as do most people of the new generations.
Good luck with that, hope you won't see yourself involved in shutting between sindicatos...
Sindicatos in DR has the power to shutoff the whole country.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Some people here think this is new. In 2006 I was picking up my clients at Ivero Start Costa Dorada puerto Plata and the taxistas Turísticos gave me a hard time, they was trying to drag my passengers out of my van, they said they will vandalize my vehicle if I will continue to pick-up in the tourist area as I was associated with FETAXI Wich is a sindicato from Santiago.
I Fallowed up the rules and got my vehicle inspected with Tourism transportation department, this costed me a lot time and money.
Never gave any more problems.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Taxi Turísticos are in better conditions that the regular Taxi fleet for local customers.
I guarantee that.

JJ

Reactions: CristoRey
Feb 7, 2007
Good luck with that, hope you won't see yourself involved in shutting between sindicatos...
Sindicatos in DR has the power to shutoff the whole country.

JJ
Not any more. Abinader does not take that one. The sindicatos (transporte mafia) should take a hint from El Salvador. Sindicato sponsored terrorism will not be tolerated. They can be replaced.

Reactions: Grampa

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Put it this way : if clients were satisfied with regular taxis, they wouldn't have switched to Uber.......
We have never used Uber, but we have used both, normal taxis (Tecni Taxi) and a tourist taxi in POP... We used a tourist taxi once and that was enough... Arrogant driver, overcharged trip and zero service in general... Yes, shiny new vehicle and cold air, but I did not really see real benefit for us on that...

Tecni Taxi in POP, years with most reliable service you can get, we even have a one driver with whom we have sent our oldest to school, never any issues... Cost is a fraction of what tourist taxi charges...

I have mentioned this a few times on this board, but about 10 years ago, we wanted to leave Playa Dorada and they had tourist taxis there... When we said that we'd get a Tecni Taxi from the gate, the driver started throwing nasty profanities at us... Talk about professional behavior...

And here you go, 10 years later, people avoid tourist taxis like plague and prefer to walk a longer distance than take them... What does that say about them???

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
We have never used Uber, but we have used both, normal taxis (Tecni Taxi) and a tourist taxi in POP... We used a tourist taxi once and that was enough... Arrogant driver, overcharged trip and zero service in general... Yes, shiny new vehicle and cold air, but I did not really see real benefit for us on that...

Tecni Taxi in POP, years with most reliable service you can get, we even have a one driver with whom we have sent our oldest to school, never any issues... Cost is a fraction of what tourist taxi charges...

I have mentioned this a few times on this board, but about 10 years ago, we wanted to leave Playa Dorada and they had tourist taxis there... When we said that we'd get a Tecni Taxi from the gate, the driver started throwing nasty profanities at us... Talk about professional behavior...

And here you go, 10 years later, people avoid tourist taxis like plague and prefer to walk a longer distance than take them... What does that say about them???
Tecni Taxy was the first Radio Taxi service in Santiago, I am surprised they're still in business in Puerto Plata.
Tecni Taxi went out of business in Santiago 16 years ago, I worked in this company for a little while, I switched from different companies in Santiago city.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Taxi 30 De Marzo, first Taxi service in Santiago. This company used to operate and dispatch from a booth located at Calle Beller & 30 De Marzo.
The cabs didn't have CB radio or any communication, the drivers used to make turns and wait until a client will request a service calling on land line Telefone in the booth.

A little Bit of history about taxis in Santiago City.

JJ

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Tecni Taxy was the first Radio Taxi service in Santiago, I am surprised they're still in business in Puerto Plata.
Tecni Taxi went out of business in Santiago 16 years ago, I worked in this company for a little while, I switched from different companies in Santiago city.

JJ
I have not used them for a bit now, but recently just heard a radio commercial of them, so appears that they are going strong... That's practically the only company we've used for the last 10 years... No other company compares in service and reliability... The vehicles may not always be the newest but that has never bothered me...

Reactions: bachata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All the taxi talk reminded me that it won't be long before taxis drivers are a thing of the past. It will take longer before that happens in the DR than it does in the EU and North America, but it shouldn't be much longer. Time will tell. It certainly isn't a profession with long term job potential.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
In Canada and the US the rates are very similar in my experience. Depending on the time of day they can vary a lot though. I have used taxi apps and uber app, compared the fares and go with the cheaper.

In the DR with taxi fares 3 times the uber rates it's aneasy decision though.

• Sad
Reactions: Big

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
In Canada and the US the rates are very similar in my experience. Depending on the time of day they can vary a lot though. I have used taxi apps and uber app, compared the fares and go with the cheaper.

In the DR with taxi fares 3 times the uber rates it's aneasy decision though.
Poor Mr. Big. What's your issues this time big fella?