Abinader faces strong political opposition from outside and inside

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Discurso-27-Oct-Prensa-Diaria-e1635340771899.png

Polls indicate that President Luis Abinader has a high popularity rating. A feature in El Caribe on 30 November 2021, nevertheless, makes the point the President faces strong opposition from three fronts – the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD), the People’s Force (FP) and leading voices in his own Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM).

The PLD is today presided by former President Danilo Medina. The Public Prosecutor’s Office is delving into major corruption cases tied mainly to the brothers and sisters of the former two-term president and his close associates, including former Attorney General, Jean Alain Rodriguez.

People’s Force (FP) is the political party created when former president of the PLD, former three term President Leonel Fernández split from the party when Danilo Medina allegedly rigged the party primary to favor his chosen candidate for...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
All pretty obvious stuff. He tries to eliminate corruption, plenty of politicians are going to be unhappy that the party is coming to an end. I can't see Danilo being elected again given what everyone now knows about the scale of corruption. Hopefully by the time the next election comes around supply chain issues will have been resolved and inflation will be more under control.

People also need to understand that if more money is paid to ordinary working people like police officers, they will tend to spend it rather than save it, creating more demand for goods and services which will push up prices. Whereas if a corrupt police chief siphons another US$ 2 out of the system, he will probably put it on top of the pile and not spend it. So an unfortunate consequence of eliminating corruption is going to be price inflation.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
From what i read about the pres is doing a good job cleaning up the corruption maybe too good of a job he should double the police. teachers salarys .....
lack of education is the main problem here ... they have the money to pay these folks a decent salary if you want change pay them ....

Reactions: reilleyp

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This all goes to prove that President Luis Abinader is doing something good for the country, as MariaRubia says this this is not sitting well with the usual suspects.
Their gravy train is slowing down and it's out in the open just how corrupt the previous governments are and have been.
I hope that he is reelected.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This all goes to prove that President Luis Abinader is doing something good for the country, as MariaRubia says this this is not sitting well with the usual suspects.
Their gravy train is slowing down and it's out in the open just how corrupt the previous governments are and have been.
I hope that he is reelected.
He may be reelected, but not if he imposes more Covid restrictions.
Time to reverse the Covid Card requirement for entry to government facilities, some stores and banks.
Those people who were going to get jabbed have done so.
Free Will has to count for something, that's why many of us are here

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All pretty obvious stuff. He tries to eliminate corruption, plenty of politicians are going to be unhappy that the party is coming to an end. I can't see Danilo being elected again given what everyone now knows about the scale of corruption. Hopefully by the time the next election comes around supply chain issues will have been resolved and inflation will be more under control.

People also need to understand that if more money is paid to ordinary working people like police officers, they will tend to spend it rather than save it, creating more demand for goods and services which will push up prices. Whereas if a corrupt police chief siphons another US$ 2 out of the system, he will probably put it on top of the pile and not spend it. So an unfortunate consequence of eliminating corruption is going to be price inflation.
Inflation is currently happening across the globe. The BIG WHITE ELEPHANT in the room here in the DR no one seems willing to address has more to do with their decision to increase imports rather than increase production.

Remember.
First and foremost Luis is a business man. He is not nor has he ever been interested in assisting the folks at the bottom of society.

And how do you eat a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT you may ask?
One bite at a time.

Reactions: chico bill

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
From what i read about the pres is doing a good job cleaning up the corruption maybe too good of a job he should double the police. teachers salarys .....
lack of education is the main problem here ... they have the money to pay these folks a decent salary if you want change pay them ....
They are overpaid for what they accomplish. Teachers by Dominican wage standards are well paid.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They are overpaid for what they accomplish. Teachers by Dominican wage standards are well paid.
teachers here are not paid well ..Mr Saunders one question for you. How come the countries with the highest literacy rate have the lowest crime rate?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
teachers here are not paid well ..Mr Saunders one question for you. How come the countries with the highest literacy rate have the lowest crime rate?
Do you know what public school teachers are paid here? By Dominican salary levels they are paid well. There have been many studies performed that show there is little correlation between teacher salaries and educational outcomes. Cuba for example has a much higher literacy rate than the DR and the teachers are paid peanuts ( extremely poor) .My SIL was a high school teacher in Cuba so I have direct knowledge of what they get paid. Not to get into American politics. NJ has one of the highest rated education systems in the USA, consistently ranking in the top 5, but look at the worst literacy rates.

States with the Lowest Literacy Rates​

1. California​

California's 23.1% of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills make California have the lowest literacy rate of 76.9%. The state of California and the state Department of Education are being blamed and sued for the failing literacy rate, as families and students believe that they are not receiving a quality education in reading and writing.

2. New York​

New York has the second-highest percentage of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills of 22.1%, equaling a literacy rate of 77.9%. Despite this, New York has the ninth-highest percentage of adults with Bachelor's degrees or higher of 35.7%.

3. Florida​

Florida has the third-highest percentage of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills of 19.7%, equaling a literacy rate of 80.3%. Florida has the lowest number of public libraries per 100,000 residents of 2.6.

4. Texas​

Texas has the fourth-lowest literacy rate of 81.0%, with 19.0% of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills. Texas has the fourth-lowest number of libraries of 3.2 per 100,000 residents.

5. New Jersey​

The fifth-lowest literacy rate in the United States is in New Jersey, where 16.9% of adults lack basic prose literacy skills, and 83.1% are literate. Despite this, 38.6% of New Jersey adults have a Bachelor's degree or higher, the country's fifth-highest. Additionally, New Jersey also has the third-best public schools.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Do you know what public school teachers are paid here? By Dominican salary levels they are paid well. There have been many studies performed that show there is little correlation between teacher salaries and educational outcomes. Cuba for example has a much higher literacy rate than the DR and the teachers are paid peanuts ( extremely poor) .My SIL was a high school teacher in Cuba so I have direct knowledge of what they get paid. Not to get into American politics. NJ has one of the highest rated education systems in the USA, consistently ranking in the top 5, but look at the worst literacy rates.

States with the Lowest Literacy Rates​

1. California​

California's 23.1% of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills make California have the lowest literacy rate of 76.9%. The state of California and the state Department of Education are being blamed and sued for the failing literacy rate, as families and students believe that they are not receiving a quality education in reading and writing.

2. New York​

New York has the second-highest percentage of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills of 22.1%, equaling a literacy rate of 77.9%. Despite this, New York has the ninth-highest percentage of adults with Bachelor's degrees or higher of 35.7%.

3. Florida​

Florida has the third-highest percentage of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills of 19.7%, equaling a literacy rate of 80.3%. Florida has the lowest number of public libraries per 100,000 residents of 2.6.

4. Texas​

Texas has the fourth-lowest literacy rate of 81.0%, with 19.0% of adults lacking basic prose literacy skills. Texas has the fourth-lowest number of libraries of 3.2 per 100,000 residents.

5. New Jersey​

The fifth-lowest literacy rate in the United States is in New Jersey, where 16.9% of adults lack basic prose literacy skills, and 83.1% are literate. Despite this, 38.6% of New Jersey adults have a Bachelor's degree or higher, the country's fifth-highest. Additionally, New Jersey also has the third-best public schools.
you're missing my point not the lowest

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
you're missing my point not the lowest
Think about what I posted. New Jersey has the third best school system in the USA and spend a lot of money per student, , and yet they are almost at the bottom for literacy rate, and they also have a very high crime rate. There is little correlation between high literacy rate and low crime rate. There are many other factors involved.

Reactions: thompstr

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Think about what I posted. New Jersey has the third best school system in the USA and spend a lot of money per student, , and yet they are almost at the bottom for literacy rate, and they also have a very high crime rate. There is little correlation between high literacy rate and low crime rate. There are many other factors involved.
.New Jersey has a low literacy rate and high crime you answer my question ... my quote was when you have high literacy rate you have a low crime rate... so it does matter education

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I will not name their nationality, but someone once shamed me for only having one child. He said he had six. I asked him their names and how old they were. He really struggled with that question. I do not care how much you pay teachers. They deserve it. However it is money down the drain if the parents are non existent, out dancing, on drugs, on Feybu, out with the neighbor, or are not providing an environment that allows a little study time or reading at night. Some kids never really have a chance. My wife is an angel. She spends a lot of time teaching our daughter both English and Spanish.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
.New Jersey has a low literacy rate and high crime you answer my question ... my quote was when you have high literacy rate you have a low crime rate... so it does matter education
Massachusetts has a high literacy rate as does Connecticut but they both have high crime rates.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well Mr Saunders you win ...PS the world is not always the way you see it be open minded it will help you to broaden your horizons Happy Friday

It isnt a contest , just a difference in opinion. You seem to tag literacy rate to crime rate when there are a lot more factors involved in high crime rate than literacy. Look how many lawyers are crooks, and they make their living using words. Certainly I agree with you that a quality education makes a difference. Educated people are more likely to be employed and more invested in their children's education. In my home country there are literacy tests required for both high school graduation and university entrance, although with the new diversity rules probably those will disappear.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
It isnt a contest , just a difference in opinion. You seem to tag literacy rate to crime rate when there are a lot more factors involved in high crime rate than literacy. Look how many lawyers are crooks, and they make their living using words. Certainly I agree with you that a quality education makes a difference. Educated people are more likely to be employed and more invested in their children's education. In my home country there are literacy tests required for both high school graduation and university entrance, although with the new diversity rules probably those will disappear.