Customs clears gifts for US$4,000

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Christmas-gifts-1024x541.png

This holiday season, Dominican expats can bring gifts worth up to US$4,000 to their friends and relatives in the Dominican Republic. The “gracia navideña” is in effect from 1 December to 7 January 2022. It is the highest value for gifts authorized by the government ever.

In a press release, the Customs Agency (DGA) says the initiative is a way to repay Dominican residents in other countries for the remittances they have sent during the pandemic times. Remittances in 2020 and 2021 have reached record highs.

Some restrictions apply. The DGA says the gifts are one per family and do not include motor vehicles of any kind, firearms and raw materials for industry or agriculture, including fuels or their by products.

Only one unit of each type of merchandise is allowed, especially in the case of household appliances.

To avail themselves of the facility, persons residing abroad...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Allowing people from outside the country to bring in gifts of US$ 4,000 is a way of repaying the same people who sent so much money in during the pandemic? Like "To say thank you for giving me all this money, I'm going to allow you to buy me a bigger present than normal". Warped logic.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What airlines currently allow people from the US, who would bring along such gifts, to put boxes on airplanes going between the US and the DR?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
"And do not include firearms." PMSL. Happy Christmas, I bought you a gun so you can go out and shoot someone. Only in DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Why the negativity. As someone who has returning family it is nice to see this. Firearms? Last I knew those are prohibited items. Not sure about which airlines will allow boxes as in the past many airlines have had luggage embargos during the holiday. But still the negativity.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Why the negativity. As someone who has returning family it is nice to see this. Firearms? Last I knew those are prohibited items. Not sure about which airlines will allow boxes as in the past many airlines have had luggage embargos during the holiday. But still the negativity.
Cynical yes. Sarcastic yes. If you'd had the couple of days I have just had you would also be cynical and sarcastic.

I cannot believe that they feel the need to say that you cannot bring a firearm as a Christmas gift. Surely you find that amusing?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cynical yes. Sarcastic yes. If you'd had the couple of days I have just had you would also be cynical and sarcastic.

I cannot believe that they feel the need to say that you cannot bring a firearm as a Christmas gift. Surely you find that amusing?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Forecast for the entire Holiday Season is filled with bright sunny days filled with hope and love. Hang in there your "past couple of days" are over.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What airlines currently allow people from the US, who would bring along such gifts, to put boxes on airplanes going between the US and the DR?
Most, if not all, allow 62 linear inches. All other rules of what can be shipped of course must be followed along with the problems of protecting and packing the item

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
BMCargo sent a notice to members of the procedure to follow to send your boxes via the exporter.

mail

BMCargo Informa: Gracia Navideña 2021​

Estimado cliente,

A partir del 1ro. de diciembre 2021 al 7 de enero de 2022 la Ley 9-96, libera de todo tipo de impuestos de importación los regalos que envíen al país los residentes en el extranjero a familiares y amigos con valor hasta US$4,000.00 por vía aérea o marítima.

Recibe tus regalos sin pago de impuestos con la Gracia Navideña, otorgada por la Dirección General de Aduanas y además el delivery gratis con BM Cargo, en la zona metropolitana o en cualesquiera de nuestras sucursales en el interior del país.

Para la aplicación de esta gracia o exoneración de impuestos se debe cumplir con los siguientes requisitos:
  • La persona que viaja al país debe realizar el proceso de exoneración en el Aeropuerto o Puerto de destino personalmente presentando documento de embarque, que es entregado en nuestras oficinas con el pago del flete correspondiente, ticket aéreo y pasaporte dentro de la fecha establecida por la DGA.
  • La persona que viaja debe ser residente y no haber visitado el país los últimos 6 meses.
  • La mercancía debe estar acompañada de su factura comercial al momento ser enviada a nuestro almacén en Miami y no exceder los US$4,000.00 como valor total del embarque.
  • La mercancía debe embarcarse en la cuenta a nombre de la persona que viaja, por lo que debes remitir esta información al correo servicioalcliente@bmcargo.com con el asunto “Solicitud Gracia Navideña” incluyendo el número de cuenta y copia del pasaporte de la persona que viaja. Este proceso debe realizarse antes del embarque de tus regalos de lo contrario no aplica para este servicio.
  • No es permitido el embarque de más de un artículo del mismo tipo, vehículos de motor de ningún tipo, armas de fuego y mercancía considerada materia prima o insumos del sector industrial y agrícola y solo es aplicada una vez por familia.
En caso de requerir información adicional puede contactar nuestro Dpto. de Servicio al Cliente al correo servicioalcliente@bmcargo.com o al teléfono 809-683-1919, quienes con gusto le asistirán.

Atentamente,

Equipo BM Cargo.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Forecast for the entire Holiday Season is filled with bright sunny days filled with hope and love. Hang in there your "past couple of days" are over.
I am actually not going to be here for the holiday season so yes you are right there. Looking forward to getting on the plane.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
BMCargo sent a notice to members of the procedure to follow to send your boxes via the exporter.

mail

BMCargo Informa: Gracia Navideña 2021​

Estimado cliente,

A partir del 1ro. de diciembre 2021 al 7 de enero de 2022 la Ley 9-96, libera de todo tipo de impuestos de importación los regalos que envíen al país los residentes en el extranjero a familiares y amigos con valor hasta US$4,000.00 por vía aérea o marítima.

Recibe tus regalos sin pago de impuestos con la Gracia Navideña, otorgada por la Dirección General de Aduanas y además el delivery gratis con BM Cargo, en la zona metropolitana o en cualesquiera de nuestras sucursales en el interior del país.

Para la aplicación de esta gracia o exoneración de impuestos se debe cumplir con los siguientes requisitos:
  • La persona que viaja al país debe realizar el proceso de exoneración en el Aeropuerto o Puerto de destino personalmente presentando documento de embarque, que es entregado en nuestras oficinas con el pago del flete correspondiente, ticket aéreo y pasaporte dentro de la fecha establecida por la DGA.
  • La persona que viaja debe ser residente y no haber visitado el país los últimos 6 meses.
  • La mercancía debe estar acompañada de su factura comercial al momento ser enviada a nuestro almacén en Miami y no exceder los US$4,000.00 como valor total del embarque.
  • La mercancía debe embarcarse en la cuenta a nombre de la persona que viaja, por lo que debes remitir esta información al correo servicioalcliente@bmcargo.com con el asunto “Solicitud Gracia Navideña” incluyendo el número de cuenta y copia del pasaporte de la persona que viaja. Este proceso debe realizarse antes del embarque de tus regalos de lo contrario no aplica para este servicio.
  • No es permitido el embarque de más de un artículo del mismo tipo, vehículos de motor de ningún tipo, armas de fuego y mercancía considerada materia prima o insumos del sector industrial y agrícola y solo es aplicada una vez por familia.
En caso de requerir información adicional puede contactar nuestro Dpto. de Servicio al Cliente al correo servicioalcliente@bmcargo.com o al teléfono 809-683-1919, quienes con gusto le asistirán.

Atentamente,

Equipo BM Cargo.
Thanks but, what does this mean? $4000 in gifts can be sent by shipper with zero duties?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks but, what does this mean? $4000 in gifts can be sent by shipper with zero duties?

Yes, read the OP. “To avail themselves of the facility, persons residing abroad, who are the consignees of shipments, must personally go to the corresponding customs administrations (colecturías) with their passport, purchase invoices, boarding pass and any other documents that prove that they have not entered the country in the past six months.”

Reactions: Luperon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am sure many people in my home country are getting a gun as an Xmas gift, but the DR is different in that aspect.

Boxes are not easy any more from the USA, so stuff that fits into luggage is probably a limitation for those coming from the USA.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Yes, read the OP. “To avail themselves of the facility, persons residing abroad, who are the consignees of shipments, must personally go to the corresponding customs administrations (collecturías) with their passport, purchase invoices, boarding pass and any other documents that prove that they have not entered the country in the past six months. "
Anybody have experience sending Christmas presents with shipper? Thinking what would be worth sending, maybe large tv, lithium batteries.What/where is the corresponding customs administrations office in Santiago? At sti?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Boxes are not easy any more from the USA, so stuff that fits into luggage is probably a limitation for those coming from the USA.
Not exactly correct. Have you seen this to be the case in your travels back and forth to the states?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not exactly correct. Have you seen this to be the case in your travels back and forth to the states?
I have, that is why I asked what US airlines will still accept boxes, especially during Xmas gift time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't they usually restrict boxes, etc around Christmas?

My flight (EWR/SDQ) on Black Friday was an hour late leaving -
the Dominicans had so many shopping bags/carryon/etc that the boarding/loading process was a disaster

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
johne, and others: NO BOXES on American Airlines or JetBlue to the DR:

From the American Airlines site:

What you can’t bring​

When traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean, Central or South America, you will not be able to travel with:

• Overweight items (more than 70lb/32kgs)
  • Oversized items
  • Excess bags (only 2 checked bags allowed)*
  • Boxes**
*See seasonal limitations for Cuba exceptions.
**A “box” is any container that isn’t normally used for transporting items for air travel; this includes plastic tubs, containers and coolers.

----------------------------

For JetBlue
Can you check in a cardboard box as luggage in Jetblue?
According to Jetblue cardboard boxes/plastic bins will not be allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba. Non-hazardous items may be packed in checked bags. Humanitarian organizations transporting supplies will be subject to the same bag allowances and guidelines as other Guests.