EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Blown fuse on the transmission pole. Power was restored for my neighborhood at 17:45. Six hours to change a fuse even after telling edenorte that was the problem and where the blown fuse was located. So just a localized issue this time but no power is still no power...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Blown fuse on the transmission pole. Power was restored for my neighborhood at 17:45. Six hours to change a fuse even after telling edenorte that was the problem and where the blown fuse was located. So just a localized issue this time but no power is still no power...
We had a fuse that used to blow almost every time it rained. One of the repair crews finally found what was causing that problem and that fuse hardly ever blows any more. But there is still something that causes it to blow, and that reason is unknown.

Six hours is not too bad for the repair. We have seen the best response times of between 1 to 2 hours.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Fuses and transformers usually blow because there's too much load on the circuit. I wouldn't be surprised if your transformer is too small for present demands.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fuses and transformers usually blow because there's too much load on the circuit. I wouldn't be surprised if your transformer is too small for present demands.
Yes, I understand how fuses work. I am a retired electronic design engineer.

It is the main fuse for the entire development of about 60 houses that tends to blow on a fairly regular basis. A bit less now than recently.
I suspect the reason is an undersized circuit to supply our development and the fuse they use therefor has to be smaller than the occasional peaks will allow.
I am not an expert in electrical power distribution and do not have the numbers on how much power flows through that main fuse nor its capacity.
I have asked to speak directly to the local engineer, but so far they have not responded on that request, What a surprise, eh?

Endless maintenance does not seem to matter for this type of problem.

We are in for a week of some rain since the rainy season finally arrived. So far, so good.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I forget when the power came back on for me. I guess sometime between 4 - 5 pm. It took Edenorte several attempts to get the power to stay on. Since restoration there has been continuous and wild fluctuations in the voltage being delivered. I saw a low of 44 and a high of 150 volts. Up and down for the rest of the afternoon. I'm hopeful that the voltage has stabalized around 20:30. Still moving between 122-127 Volts but at least that limited movement range keeps the inverter from turning on and off.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I forget when the power came back on for me. I guess sometime between 4 - 5 pm. It took Edenorte several attempts to get the power to stay on. Since restoration there has been continuous and wild fluctuations in the voltage being delivered. I saw a low of 44 and a high of 150 volts. Up and down for the rest of the afternoon. I'm hopeful that the voltage has stabalized around 20:30. Still moving between 122-127 Volts but at least that limited movement range keeps the inverter from turning on and off.
I suspect that is from all the maintenance they have been doing. 😇

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
More power problems for me and my neighbors this morning. Have been on inverter for several hours now. It appears some voltage is coming down the lines but not enough to power anything. All I asked Santa for this Christmas was stable reliable electricity service.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
More power problems for me and my neighbors this morning. Have been on inverter for several hours now. It appears some voltage is coming down the lines but not enough to power anything. All I asked Santa for this Christmas was stable reliable electricity service.
Santa’s version of coal in your stocking?? 😁

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The incompetence of Edenorte is sadly not working in your favor.

Speaking of incompetency, at my house, water has been off for 2 days and my poso tubular approval is in the queue at Medio Ambiente in Santo Domingo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To their credit. EdeN sent a crew and they apparently changed another faulty fuse and power has now been restored. We have blown more line fuses in the past couple of weeks...Must be something wrong somewhere to cause these outages with such regularity. The fluctuations in line voltage must be related to a faulty transformer somewhere. Just waiting to hear that explode...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To their credit. EdeN sent a crew and they apparently changed another faulty fuse and power has now been restored. We have blown more line fuses in the past couple of weeks...Must be something wrong somewhere to cause these outages with such regularity. The fluctuations in line voltage must be related to a faulty transformer somewhere. Just waiting to hear that explode...
For years there was a problem with cracked high voltage lines that shorted out almost every time it rained. It took years for Edenorte to find and correct the problem. They would rather send a crew to replace the fuse every time in rained. It would seem your sub-circuit is in a similar loop of inefficiency.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Power Out SOSU101 in Perla Marina 08:00 this morning 1/01/22 . Same Old Same Old !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CABT102 off on January 1, 2022 about just before 8 AM. Happy F'ing New Year from Edenorte.
Olly just beat me to it, and at least it is not just our circuit.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
All of Sosu101 affected as well as some other circuits it looks like. Failure reported to Edenorte case #58771