Airplane Crash Near Las Américas

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
When I first checked the Flighradar page, my first question was that as the pilot obviously first turned back to the departure airport why did they continue flying, but there's the answer... I did not know that any airport could just deny an emergency landing??? So essentially, they should be held partially responsible for this...
I supposed they declared an emergency and then Any airport should stop all operations and clear the runways immediately. If I were the pilot, I would have landed ANYWAY if there way no traffic on runway. What are the authorities going to do? Arrest me??

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When I first checked the Flighradar page, my first question was that as the pilot obviously first turned back to the departure airport why did they continue flying, but there's the answer... I did not know that any airport could just deny an emergency landing??? So essentially, they should be held partially responsible for this...
Since the pilot declared an emergency, he could have landed at that airport if he chose to. I doubt they were denied landing. SDQ has a much longer runway and emergency services available, so the pilot apparently considered that the safest course of action based on the situation at the time.

Reactions: chrisrose97

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On my flight y'day I sat beside a former flight controller who was astounded by this story.

She said 2 things...

1/ they should have been allowed back to their airport
2/ SDQ should ave halted the takeoff plane to allow the emergency landing

Either one of those might have saved the disaster

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not buying the story that SDQ delayed the landing because of an aircraft on the runway. It would have only taken a minute for that plane to have taxied clear or completed it's takeoff.

I don't buy the story that they were denied landing at the departure airport either.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Aviation accident reporting by the news is notoriously inaccurate and misleading. There are tapes of all ATC transmissions as well as the cockpit voice recorder on the aircraft. It could be a long time before we know. The nature of the emergency still hasn't been released yet. As I said before, in an emergency, a pilot can land wherever he chooses - no permission needed by ATC.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I'm not buying the story that SDQ delayed the landing because of an aircraft on the runway. It would have only taken a minute for that plane to have taxied clear or completed it's takeoff.

I don't buy the story that they were denied landing at the departure airport either.
Absolutly, like the saying 'any port in a storm' in a life threating emergency you cannot be denied a landing. The other aircraft could easily have moved off the runway. Shame on the atc.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Aviation accident reporting by the news is notoriously inaccurate and misleading.
While true for the media, this coming mainly from people in the Dominican aviation industry. Technically they aren't suppose to say anything until the investigations are over, but...

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
While true fro the media, this coming mainly from people in the Dominican aviation industry. Technically they aren't suppose to say anything until the investigations are over, but...
Well, I'll believe it when I actually see the transcripts from the towers at La Isabela and SDQ. A pilot friend of mine told me SDQ was immediately cleared of all traffic.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Well, I'll believe it when I actually see the transcripts from the towers at La Isabela and SDQ. A pilot friend of mine told me SDQ was immediately cleared of all traffic.
We may never see the real transcripts due to high level officials covering their butts. If all the warnings would have been heeded and the dominican aviation offcials actually did something( they didnt because they are all goverment hacks), we wouldnt have this accident today. Any body whistle blowing in the dominican aviation industry gets black listed immediately.

• Wow

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it really possible for the Dominican officials to hide the transcripts in such a high profile case (or any case for that matter)?

Reactions: thompstr

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We may never see the real transcripts due to high level officials covering their butts. If all the warnings would have been heeded and the dominican aviation offcials actually did something( they didnt because they are all goverment hacks), we wouldnt have this accident today. Any body whistle blowing in the dominican aviation industry gets black listed immediately.

Very true. Two main issues are mentioned in the video - failure to follow mandatory duty and rest times, lax maintenance by the company, and failure to adequately monitor and enforce those by the civil aviation authorities here.

Landing at the nearest airport with malfunctioning flight controls is not always the best option. There have been many accidents where aircraft with flight control problems have made it to the airport only to crash on landing because you're not always going to be able to control it with the slower speeds required for landing. The United DC-10 that crashed in Sioux City years ago is a good example. There most likely were other small airports before that, however, without the emergency services available, many more people, if not all, would probably have died. The pilots were not able to control the aircraft at the slower speeds need for landing.

My take is that the reports we're hearing are an attempt to deflect blame to the tower controllers instead of where it really belongs - on the company and the civil aviation authorities. Consider who it is that owns this company.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Very true. Two main issues are mentioned in the video - failure to follow mandatory duty and rest times, lax maintenance by the company, and failure to adequately monitor and enforce those by the civil aviation authorities here.

Landing at the nearest airport with malfunctioning flight controls is not always the best option. There have been many accidents where aircraft with flight control problems have made it to the airport only to crash on landing because you're not always going to be able to control it with the slower speeds required for landing. The United DC-10 that crashed in Sioux City years ago is a good example. There most likely were other small airports before that, however, without the emergency services available, many more people, if not all, would probably have died. The pilots were not able to control the aircraft at the slower speeds need for landing.

My take is that the reports we're hearing are an attempt to deflect blame to the tower controllers instead of where it really belongs - on the company and the civil aviation authorities. Consider who it is that owns this company.
I had no idea the head of Public Works made such a handsome salary... and apparently neither did alot of other people according to whats being said on social media.
No doubt Alicia will be looking into this one.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had no idea the head of Public Works made such a handsome salary... and apparently neither did alot of other people according to whats being said on social media.
No doubt Alicia will be looking into this one.
He pulled in untold millions during the reign of the PLD with the "Air Ambulance" charge on vehicle insurance policies.

Even today, don't be surprised if it's on your insurance policy.

Reactions: CristoRey

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
That explains a lot, i could never figure out why their was so much marketing around "air ambulances" seeing kiosks at several of the big malls (Blue & Mega Centro)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A cartoon that appeared today in El Caribe newspaper was reproached by Nieves as "grotesque and reprehensible." It is about Gonzálo Castillo in an airplane on fire and falling from the sky and on the side it says "Penco's Airline." He is also wearing a pilot's hat with the PLD's single yellow star and hints of purple, the political party's color. It sata "we guarantee you that we will not crashhhh."

3BAD4DD7-7B1F-4E5D-8968-7C2ED329559F.jpeg

It was known this tragedy was going to serve for political purposes.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
You may not like his choice of sound but at 38 years old comining from a barrio in Puerto Rico he made millions of dollars producing music for internationally award winning artist while your claim to fame is... you've played a few gigs for drunks at the local tavern.
To each their own buddy.
So? What is Your point? Poor becoming rich? Big deal he produced music!