Any Paypal Option other than Popular?

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
For a bank that seems to get a ton of accolades, I am at the end of my rope with Banco Popular. I have been denied access to my Paypal account for over 3 weeks. All I get are apologies and "manana". Today they said they had fixed it, but in doing so, I cannot access my Popular account online. Solve one problem...create another.

Has anyone found a second "local" option for Paypal?

Reactions: It wasn't me

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Popular is the only one allowed to deal with Paypal in the DR. They hava a sort of monopoly on that thing.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Easy peezy. Use Xoom they are a company acquired by paypal but I dont think you need to use your PP account and can make your independent account. The fees are way less than western Stealin. I think I paid 60.00 ? when W.U rate would have been 160.00 for a bigger transaction.. the exchange rate was great 43.8 for so a pesos give or take exchange fee. You can collect your money at Banco Popular with a cedula or passport. You do not need to be a resident or citizen. Best of all is how easy its is.. use your debit card or credit card for the transaction that's it. https://www.xoom.com/sign-in

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Easy peezy. Use Xoom they are a company acquired by paypal but I dont think you need to use your PP account and can make your independent account. The fees are way less than western Stealin. I think I paid 60.00 ? when W.U rate would have been 160.00 for a bigger transaction.. the exchange rate was great 43.8 for so a pesos give or take exchange fee. You can collect your money at Banco Popular with a cedula or passport. You do not need to be a resident or citizen. Best of all is how easy its is.. use your debit card or credit card for the transaction that's it. https://www.xoom.com/sign-in
Correct me if I am wrong please. You have US Dollars converted into Pesos at the rate of 43.8? Is this a typo as the rate is 57.25? Even if it is 53.8 you are getting robbed, and paying a fee on top of that.................

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Correct me if I am wrong please. You have US Dollars converted into Pesos at the rate of 43.8? Is this a typo as the rate is 57.25? Even if it is 53.8 you are getting robbed, and paying a fee on top of that.................
Canadian dollar. I should have mentioned this lol if that was US dollar that would have been robbery yes. You can create an account though and play with the amounts to estimate the fees and such, but I have not found anything easier and cheaper.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Canadian dollar. I should have mentioned this lol if that was US dollar that would have been robbery yes. You can create an account though and play with the amounts to estimate the fees and such, but I have not found anything easier and cheaper.
OK. I just looked up the rate for Canadian Dollars against the Peso. 1 Can. Doll = 46.1 Still a robbery at 43.8..........Sure they make it easy. Easy to chisel you...............And a fee on top of that?

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
OK. I just looked up the rate for Canadian Dollars against the Peso. 1 Can. Doll = 46.1 Still a robbery at 43.8..........Sure they make it easy. Easy to chisel you...............And a fee on top of that?

Here I did it quickly for everyone so todays date: Jan 14th 2022: Exchange rate:1 USD = 54.5511 DOP. If you send 1k you would receive 54551.00 DOP using a debit or credit card this transaction would cost 35.99 USD

Google result for exchange rate today:

57.75 DOP = 1 USD

So it appears to be more than the peso mas o menos I originally said, for the Canadian dollar the exchange was better, but anyways I still prefer using this for monthly things due to the ease and good exchange rate for the most part..

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
If you have a better option though I would be open to hear about it, saving money is good :) as long as it doesn't come with too much Dominican Beuracharcy to receive the funds

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you have a better option though I would be open to hear about it, saving money is good :) as long as it doesn't come with too much Dominican Beuracharcy to receive the funds
I don't really know what your object here is. However if it is to transfer US Dollars to the DR then I would just send a check to someone in US Dollars and have a US Dollar account in the DR to deposit it into. That way there is NO charge of any kind. And anyone can deposit the check,does not have to be the account holder. You can send it Fedex or UPS.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I don't really know what your object here is. However if it is to transfer US Dollars to the DR then I would just send a check to someone in US Dollars and have a US Dollar account in the DR to deposit it into. That way there is NO charge of any kind. And anyone can deposit the check,does not have to be the account holder. You can send it Fedex or UPS.
Ah oh ok I see, not sure if any of the banks have a Canadian dollars account option or not? I would have to do my homework better. I could open a US one but then of course I would have to exchange my desired amount to USD which 26-27% immediately off the exchange.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ah oh ok I see, not sure if any of the banks have a Canadian dollars account option or not? I would have to do my homework better. I could open a US one but then of course I would have to exchange my desired amount to USD which 26-27% immediately off the exchange.
26 % to change Can. to US in Canada. Who is running the country Al Capone?

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
If you have an existing PayPal account in the USA you need to get a VPN and then you can connect.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
26 % to change Can. to US in Canada. Who is running the country Al Capone?
I mean the strength of the dollar in general

Google:
1 Canadian Dollar equals
0.80 United States Dollar

but then the banks or w/e exchange you're using will charge you their fee of course as well. I'm not sure though I have never really calculated CAD -> USD -> DOP just CAD -> DOP because it's a bit of a hassle, but I should probably do that for future transactions.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What does Banco Popular charge to transfer money from PayPal to an account at Banco Popular?

Can it be a USD account at Banco Popular or only into a DOP account?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I found this in the other PayPal thread, so if this is still valid I will have to look into other options for the particular PayPal account, which is not mine.

Yes, it went up to 15 USD. It takes at least 4 business days, often more of course, once 8 days. I did transfers weekly because I had no other option. Some months ago it stopped working for more than 5 weeks. Not PayPal fault but of course our friends at Popular were the culprits.

I then stopped using BPD altogether because of their incapacity. I transfer my money now via Wise to my BHD account. Costs more or less the same and I have the money the same day in my BHD account.