Renewed My Driver's License

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I went to the intrant website but couldn't find the link for appointments.

I then googled 'intrant appointments online' and "Sistema de Citas - Intrant" popped up. (https://citas.intrant.gob.do/Turnos/Domini3)

You make your appointment, and you can choose where you want to renew.

I paid for my appointment, and printed my receipt and emailed it to myself.

I chose to renew in Sambil Mall at 8 am. I brought my printed receipt with me just in case and arrived at 7 for an 8 am appointment.

The security guard sent me to the main entrance of the mall on Ave. Kennedy which is where everyone has to wait to access the GOB office.

A woman came to the entrance at 8 am and announced the office was open and asked who had appointments. I'd say roughly 6-7 of the 30 or so persons raised their hands. She then stated they would be processing persons with appointments first. "Bingo!"

Then she asked who had an appointment for license renewal. Just me. "Bingo" again. I was the only one out of the entire group.

I went inside, checked in at the front desk. NOTE: I had to show my printed receipt. Having it on your cel phone is not accepted.
I also had to show the credit card I used to make the payment online.

She sent me to a guy who was in charge of printing the numbered turn slips.

He handed me my turn slip and directed me to one of the windows.

When I walked up the window, the clerk asked me for my receipt and my credit card again.

Once that was done, she confirmed all of my info on my license, corrected my address, then scanned my fingerprints and took my picture.

The woman who does the eye test had not arrived yet so I got to skip it this time.

She passed my info to another clerk, and about a minute later he called me over and handed my license to me.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So far every experience I have had with DR driver's license has been very pleasant. From getting my first one, which was never legal, to getting one that was legal when I was told my first one was not in the system, and then renewing it, the experience is vastly better than in the US.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
So far every experience I have had with DR driver's license has been very pleasant. From getting my first one, which was never legal, to getting one that was legal when I was told my first one was not in the system, and then renewing it, the experience is vastly better than in the US.
Hmm, I don't know about that. I renew my license and registration online with no issues here in the People's Republic of New York. I haven't been to a DMV office in at least 15 years. Perhaps your circumstances are different, but for me it can't be any easier. The best part is that I am forever young on my license photo!

Reactions: Africaida

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hmm, I don't know about that. I renew my license and registration online with no issues here in the People's Republic of New York. I haven't been to a DMV office in at least 15 years. Perhaps your circumstances are different, but for me it can't be any easier. The best part is that I am forever young on my license photo!
I understand your joy, but what good is a photo ID with a decades-old photo of the possessor?

Reactions: bob saunders

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I understand your joy, but what good is a photo ID with a decades-old photo of the possessor?
Because I pretend I'm looking in the mirror and my fragile ego remains intact for another day!
All kidding aside your point is a good one. I don't care what my ID looks like, but the government should. How often are photos updated in D.R.?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I renewed my DR license a couple yrs ago - in Nagua

EZ in/ EZ out..... in no time w/o appt

I think I had a new photo

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Because I pretend I'm looking in the mirror and my fragile ego remains intact for another day!
All kidding aside your point is a good one. I don't care what my ID looks like, but the government should. How often are photos updated in D.R.?
If I'm not mistaken, you get a new picture anytime you renew a gov't. ID of any sort. Someone please tell me if that's not the case.

Oct 19, 2015
canada
Now you need a Valid Cedula to get a driver licence renewed, how about the snow birds want to drive here, getting a Cedula can be costly and take a long time, just to be able to drive legal
here

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How far in advance can you renew you DR drivers license. Mine expires in September and I want to renew it before my cedula and residency expires in April. I do not want to renew my residency but would like to renew my drivers license.

To date other than not paying the overstay fee at the airport my residency has proved to be quite useless and very expensive.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now you need a Valid Cedula to get a driver licence renewed, how about the snow birds want to drive here, getting a Cedula can be costly and take a long time, just to be able to drive legal
here
You always needed a valid cedula to get a DR driver's license. That was my main motivation to be a legal resident back in 2003. Nothing new about that. I had no other source for a driver's license.

Anyone arriving on a tourist card, as in the vast majority of snowbirds, can drive legally for 90 days on their foreign license.
Those that stay longer simply drive illegally on their foreign licenses, some do that for years. And they "never" have any repercussions
since they "never" get into accidents. Insurance companies will take your money regardless of the validity of your foreign license and they "always" pay out claims despite the legality of the foreign license status.

Only occasional claims to the contrary have ever been made to the above.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
here
Is that something new? Because I remember 4 years ago when I acquired my driver's license, I was required to have a Cedula (which I've had for almost 10 years now).
So yeah, and it kind of makes sense as actually to be here for a longer period you should have visa/residency. What other country would allow people living there illegally to get a valid driver's license?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Insurance companies will take your money regardless of the validity of your foreign license and they "always" pay out claims despite the legality of the foreign license status.
A friend of mine who among other things, sells insurance advised me to get a DR driver's license a couple of years back. Although they do accept foreign driver's licenses, they may refuse to pay out claims if you are driving illegally. So I opted to not take that chance and got my DR driver's license.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A friend of mine who among other things, sells insurance advised me to get a DR driver's license a couple of years back. Although they do accept foreign driver's licenses, they may refuse to pay out claims if you are driving illegally. So I opted to not take that chance and got my DR driver's license.
It has been stated that they "never" refuse to pay out claims when driving with illegal foreign licenses. Surely the insurance agent was "making things up".

(note: I am being facetious above, for those who don't get that.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is that something new? Because I remember 4 years ago when I acquired my driver's license, I was required to have a Cedula (which I've had for almost 10 years now).
So yeah, and it kind of makes sense as actually to be here for a longer period you should have visa/residency. What other country would allow people living there illegally to get a valid driver's license?
One cannot get a DR license unless one is legally in the DR. A cedula and legal residency is one way. There is NOTHING NEW about this. (There may be other ways like work visas, diplomatic visas, etc but I don't have direct knowledge how that works.) Someone from a tourist card country visiting on a tourist card with a valid license from their home country has a valid license for 90 days which covers the vast majority of people here as tourists.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every 4 years

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's the law
Courtesy of a reader/non-poster
=============================

https://www.intrant.gob.do/transparencia/phocadownload/BaseLegal/Decretos/Decreto 6-19 Licencia de Conducir GO.pdf

Of foreign driver's licenses and for accredited diplomats Article 28.

Valid licenses to drive in the Dominican Republic.

Holders of a driver's license issued by the competent authority of another State, who legally reside in the country, may request the issuance of a national accreditation while this document remains in force, subject to compliance with the formalities established by this Regulation.

Article 29. The following are valid for driving in the Dominican Republic:

1) Driving permits and licenses recognized in multilateral and bilateral international agreements to which the Dominican Republic is a party and under the conditions indicated therein.

(2) International licences issued abroad in accordance with the Geneva International Convention of 19 September 1949 on Road Traffic or in accordance with the Paris International Convention of 24 April 1926, for the use of motor vehicles, or the Vienna International Convention of 8 November 1968 on Road Traffic, in the case of nations acceding to these Conventions which have not signed or acceded to the Geneva Convention.

Paragraph I. The validity in the Dominican Republic of the licenses referred to in the previous article will be conditioned on the following requirements being met:

1) That the driver's license is in force.

2) That its holder has the required age in the Dominican Republic to obtain an equivalent Dominican license.

3) That the period of six (6) months, at most, counted from the time its holder acquires his legal residence in the Dominican Republic, duly accredited, has not elapsed.

Paragraph II. If its holder does not prove legal residence in the Dominican Republic, international licenses will only be valid to drive in the Dominican Republic if no more than six (6) months have elapsed since their entry into Dominican territory in a regular situation.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The US.

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo