Restoration Work in San Pedro de Macoris

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
There is another thread where this discussion began called: “Anyone Live in San Pedro de Macorís”.

There was nothing on DR1 about the restoration work being done there, specifically on the historical buildings.

Restoration work on Edificio Morey sounds like it will happen. The Facebook post below is from July, but anyone can see more recent posts on Instagram under the mayor’s profile: @rafaortizdiaz. He has a post specifically on Morey from Dec. 10/21.

Restoring Edificio Morey

They are also restoring another old building to make a baseball players museum, which was apparently the first movie theatre in the country according to mi esposo.

Parque Infantil Sonia Reyes on the malecón is also being redone.

• Love
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There is another thread where this discussion began called: “Anyone Live in San Pedro de Macorís”.

There was nothing on DR1 about the restoration work being done there, specifically on the historical buildings.

Restoration work on Edificio Morey sounds like it will happen. The Facebook post below is from July, but anyone can see more recent posts on Instagram under the mayor’s profile: @rafaortizdiaz. He has a post specifically on Morey from Dec. 10/21.

Restoring Edificio Morey

They are also restoring another old building to make a baseball players museum, which was apparently the first movie theatre in the country according to mi esposo.

Parque Infantil Sonia Reyes on the malecón is also being redone.
I haven't been there in a while but there are beautiful old builds there that I used to walk by almost every day. I'm glad they're restoring them!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I haven't been there in a while but there are beautiful old builds there that I used to walk by almost every day. I'm glad they're restoring them!
Those buildings were built in the early 20th century (before the Great Depression) when San Pedro de Macorís was the richest city in the DR and one of the richest in the Caribbean. A nickname it still has is "Sultan of the East." Most were built by Spaniards, Puerto Ricans, Americans, Cubans thwt made it big in the Dominican sugar industry that they created. There used to be a seaplane from PANAM that used to fly from the USA hopping the islands of Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. Then the same route in reverse as it went back to the USA. The only place it landed in the DR was where the Higuamo River meets the Caribbean Sea and anchor by the dock of the city. The Ministry of Tourism should see if they can get one of those seaplane or built a replica and always have it by the SPM dock as a museum piece.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I didn’t believe when I first heard. Hopefully it is done with respect to maintaining historical integrity.
They are only restoring one or two streets. The Ministry of Tourism is involved, so this is a government project. You can be guaranteed that Abinader is giving much following to this as he wants to be the one to inaugurate a "new SPM" with the accompanying photo shoot and appearing in the media. Also keep in mind that SPM is not only the center of Cocolo Dominicans, it's also the center of Arab Dominicans and most Arab Dominicans are of Lebanese descent. Abinader himself is of part Lebanese ancestry.

I was one that spent many years contacting many people at different levels of government in planting the seed for the restoration of the old quarter of SPM. It was a shame that one of the greatest concentration of architecture from the DR of the beginning of the 20th century is so close to the major tourist zone, could become a major tourist site and the economic advantages that comes with it; was not producing any benefits. So many tourists whisk along the highway that goes around SPM never knowing what the center of SPM holds. This idea went in one ear and out the other when the PLD was in power. Nothing against the PLD from my part, but that's what happened.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I learned something new today. Thank you NALS!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Honestly I was certain that the fate of all the beautiful old turn of the century/early 20thC buildings would be to crumble. Restoring 1-2 entire streets is more than I would have ever thought would happen.

Edificio Morey (1915) with its stained glass turret is my favourite, but there are so many others as well.

I think I mentioned it on this thread, but there was a very large, old, single story plantation style house 1-2 blocks directly behind the Astrapu bus station. It was being used as a tire shop prior to the pandemic. That building will likely never be restored, but I will try to get a photo the next time I’m there.

Interesting about the Lebanese in SPM, I did not know that. Thanks for the info NALS, and for your efforts.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
May 1, 2023 Update

Notice the cobblestones in some of the Historic Center streets and the new sidewalks have these baseball markers. They seem to have the names of Dominican baseball players in the MLB, but not clear if they are Dominicans in general or just those native to San Pedro de Macorís.

IMG_9886.jpeg

Reactions: Auryn