Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Much like my alleged "favorite subject in Sosua" as some call it and are actually wrong about that, I agree 100% this is all local in origin. I am much more disappointed that the Cabarete bypass was not completed along the north edge of the public wetlands while it removed thousands of illegal dwellings than I could ever care about what happens on a small part of one section of Sosua or to the beach itself.

Those who suggest there is some plan to block Dominicans from Sosua beach I find laughable. The government now owns the land access to each end of the beach and not some private concern that could block access despite the 60 meter law.

That is not to say there is no international money involved. The Mormon run Marriot group and Scientologist Ahnvee/Dream City folks also have some interest in seeing things proceed at the beach and other changes in Sosua, but so does the current President of the DR who had to abandon a renovation of an AI resort near Perla Marina a few years back.

These plans, Dominican through and through, have been on the books for MANY YEARS for the beach and other parts of Sosua, and are just now being discussed and implemented with those in the respective areas. Things take time here compared to what many are used to back in their homelands.

How long before the work starts on the beach?
Didn’t the new prez announc few months ago funding to complete bypass?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So... anything new on the Sosua beach Shacks?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I imagined as much. But I think this time it's going to be different. This time the land has been freed up to the point it can now be developed, but the final plan for the development is still being formulated/reassessed due to the recent uptick in tourism.

I'm guessing they want to be able to tear down shacks and immediately start construction on whatever they're going to build, and are not interested in tearing them down until they're ready to start building.

Reactions: CristoRey

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I imagined as much. But I think this time it's going to be different. This time the land has been freed up to the point it can now be developed, but the final plan for the development is still being formulated/reassessed due to the recent uptick in tourism.

I'm guessing they want to be able to tear down shacks and immediately start construction on whatever they're going to build, and are not interested in tearing them down until they're ready to start building.
There is plenty of land behind the casetas. I'm sure that construction could begin without removing the shacks. But at some point the casetas will be eliminated.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think this whole CV19 situation disrupted a lot of plans that eventually might be resurrected. Time will tell in that.
I was really hoping the Cabarete Bypass would happen. A truck was broken down in Cabarete a few day ago and traffic was stopped for a few hours, with no way to go anywhere heading west.

As for Sosua Beach, eventually money will talk, the condos will get built, and things will look different with the shacks gone. The plans must be decades old now.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I think this whole CV19 situation disrupted a lot of plans that eventually might be resurrected. Time will tell in that.
I was really hoping the Cabarete Bypass would happen. A truck was broken down in Cabarete a few day ago and traffic was stopped for a few hours, with no way to go anywhere heading west.

As for Sosua Beach, eventually money will talk, the condos will get built, and things will look different with the shacks gone. The plans must be decades old now.
I remember seeing the "plans" back in 2003. Not only the beach, it included Charamicos with a marina. The plan was to remove all the local living areas. How official these plans were, I don't know but they existed back then.

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If the owners of the beach shacks form a Union it will spoil the free and spontaneous nature of the beach.
They they will start colluding on raising prices too and things will be more over-priced than already is there now

Reactions: thompstr

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I also think its for real this time only thing I'm holding onto is that I thought it was for real several times before too.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I also think its for real this time only thing I'm holding onto is that I thought it was for real several times before too.
I believe it is for real.
I don't remember the last President coming up to Sosua and participating in a formal ceremony to recieve the title/ deeds transfer of that huge swath of land from the family who has owned it for the last 80 years (according to the press)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If the owners of the beach shacks form a Union it will spoil the free and spontaneous nature of the beach.
They they will start colluding on raising prices too and things will be more over-priced than already is there now
Sosua Beach Association has existed and been active for years.
So you see people colluding against you?

All the world's beaches charge premium prices.

It its too expensive for you there is always the lesser choice, Cabarete Beach, where you bake in the sun then drown in the undertow.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

It its too expensive for you there is always the lesser choice, Cabarete Beach, where you bake in the sun then drown in the undertow.
Most of the restaurants on Cabarete Beach cost more than the casitas on Sosua Beach. Of course, it is lacking the picturesque parade of spandex queens that Sosua Beach has.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

It is obvious that the appeal of the beach to the city is the enormous value of the land.
Sosua has never made a single improvement in the beach.

Anyone here trust the judgement of the city?
I am patiently waiting for evidence that moving the girls and shuttering the businesses to the end of PC was a smart move.

As regards the value of the working girls to Sosua it is not difficult for the city to fund a study and find out the facts.
I suspect the city already knows the answer and is in no hurry to provide the information.

If the beach shacks are removed there will be a wide open opportunity for payoffs and corruption. Tell me that is not behind the city's interest.

The Sosua Beach Association has 100% membership among the vendors.

When the city calls in the bulldozers they will face a gigantic huelga.
Ever notice the number of people who bus and drive in from Santiago.
When they see the loss of the beach they have visited all their lives being taken by the city they will be infuriated.
Two lane road into and out of Sosua will be easily blocked, right down to shutting down the airport.

If the city wanted to be honest let them take a referendum of the residents as to what they think of the beach grab.
Sosua Beach is far and away the best part of our town.

I know many of the vendors and they are well organized.
Sosua will have a fight on their hands when they make their move.
My prediction is the fight will be short and the city will fold and retreat to plan a new scheme.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Most of the restaurants on Cabarete Beach cost more than the casitas on Sosua Beach. Of course, it is lacking the picturesque parade of spandex queens that Sosua Beach has.
Opinions with no evidence unless you have some comparison of prices between the two.

Did I type that Cabarete Beach was less expensive?

The other poster was complaining about the prices on Sosua Beach not Cabarete.
Again for your: All the worlds beaches charge premium prices.

Cabarete is the lesser choice due to its dusty narrow road, zero parking, total lack of shade and well known dangerous surf conditions than drown tourists every year.
Great place for you to take a swim.

Topic is union of Sosua Beach vendors.
Got anything to say that is on topic?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Opinions with no evidence unless you have some comparison of prices between the two.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. I've been to both. Go to Cabarete Beach yourself and check it out.
Did I type that Cabarete Beach was less expensive?
You definitely implied that because you told CB to go to Cabarete if the casitas on Sosua beach were too expensive.
The other poster was complaining about the prices on Sosua Beach not Cabarete.
Again for your: All the worlds beaches charge premium prices.
You brought up Cabarete and compared to most beaches anywhere else, even Cabarete prices are no where near "premium".
Cabarete is the lesser choice due to its dusty narrow road, zero parking, total lack of shade and well known dangerous surf conditions than drown tourists every year.
Great place for you to take a swim.
The road is not dusty nor narrow. Too many people double parking though. Many of the restaurants are shaded, plenty of parking if you're not too cheap to pay for a parking lot, and very few people have drowned on Cabarete Beach. The beaches to both the east and west of Cabarete are dangerous though and many people have drowned in those areas.
Topic is union of Sosua Beach vendors.
Got anything to say that is on topic?
Again, you're the one that brought up Cabarete.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It is obvious that the appeal of the beach to the city is the enormous value of the land.
Sosua has never made a single improvement in the beach.

Anyone here trust the judgement of the city?
I am patiently waiting for evidence that moving the girls and shuttering the businesses to the end of PC was a smart move.

As regards the value of the working girls to Sosua it is not difficult for the city to fund a study and find out the facts.
I suspect the city already knows the answer and is in no hurry to provide the information.

If the beach shacks are removed there will be a wide open opportunity for payoffs and corruption. Tell me that is not behind the city's interest.

The Sosua Beach Association has 100% membership among the vendors.

When the city calls in the bulldozers they will face a gigantic huelga.
Ever notice the number of people who bus and drive in from Santiago.
When they see the loss of the beach they have visited all their lives being taken by the city they will be infuriated.
Two lane road into and out of Sosua will be easily blocked, right down to shutting down the airport.

If the city wanted to be honest let them take a referendum of the residents as to what they think of the beach grab.
Sosua Beach is far and away the best part of our town.

I know many of the vendors and they are well organized.
Sosua will have a fight on their hands when they make their move.
My prediction is the fight will be short and the city will fold and retreat to plan a new scheme.
Fight is coming from Santo Domingo and will be a short one. Has very little to do with the Sosua Municipalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.