Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The fight is coming from the rich and powerful. It has very little to do with the local people. We all know how that turns out.
If their main goal is to bring in domestic investors, I don't think we will see too many changes. If Luis is planning on attracting foreign investors you can kiss the seedy attractions goodbye along with the weekend warriors who frequent them.

Reactions: windeguy

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Opinions with no evidence unless you have some comparison of prices between the two.

Did I type that Cabarete Beach was less expensive?

The other poster was complaining about the prices on Sosua Beach not Cabarete.
Again for your: All the worlds beaches charge premium prices.

Cabarete is the lesser choice due to its dusty narrow road, zero parking, total lack of shade and well known dangerous surf conditions than drown tourists every year.
Great place for you to take a swim.

Topic is union of Sosua Beach vendors.
Got anything to say that is on topic?
On the topic of Sosua Beach and Vendors.....Please pass a bit of what you are smoking, you have left us behind.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is obvious that the appeal of the beach to the city is the enormous value of the land.
Sosua has never made a single improvement in the beach.

Anyone here trust the judgement of the city?
I am patiently waiting for evidence that moving the girls and shuttering the businesses to the end of PC was a smart move.
The government in Santo Domingo, for the thousandth time, wants the chicas out of sight. Jeez, They could care less about THAT economic impact.
As regards the value of the working girls to Sosua it is not difficult for the city to fund a study and find out the facts.
I suspect the city already knows the answer and is in no hurry to provide the information.
There is no need for any study when the government already wants them in a different spot.
If the beach shacks are removed there will be a wide open opportunity for payoffs and corruption. Tell me that is not behind the city's interest.
I have zero idea on what will actually happen next other than what has been mentioned about two buildings, one on each end of the beach, and what might be done by the private land owners who donated the property to the City near the beach.
The Sosua Beach Association has 100% membership among the vendors.
For all the good that will do them.
When the city calls in the bulldozers they will face a gigantic huelga.
Ever notice the number of people who bus and drive in from Santiago.
When they see the loss of the beach they have visited all their lives being taken by the city they will be infuriated.
Two lane road into and out of Sosua will be easily blocked, right down to shutting down the airport.
That will be an interesting day. No doubt. Similar to the clearing of about 60 houses across from Costa Azul a number of years back. PN with tear gas, large land moving vehicles. Far less would be needed for Sosua beach to be cleared out in a day or two.
If the city wanted to be honest let them take a referendum of the residents as to what they think of the beach grab.
Sosua Beach is far and away the best part of our town.
Oh well, it doesn't work that way here.
I know many of the vendors and they are well organized.
Sosua will have a fight on their hands when they make their move.
My prediction is the fight will be short and the city will fold and retreat to plan a new scheme.
There is no Beach Grab. The vendors have always been there illegally. Jeez, get a clue.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If their main goal is to bring in domestic investors, I don't think we will see too many changes. If Luis is planning on attracting foreign investors you can kiss the seedy attractions goodbye along with the weekend warriors who frequent them.
...and the beach for most. I really hope it is domestic, it would be best for the area.
The government in Santo Domingo, for the thousandth time, wants the chicas out of sight. Jeez, They could care less about THAT economic impact.

There is no need for any study when the government already wants them in a different spot.

I have zero idea on what will actually happen next other than what has been mentioned about two buildings, one on each end of the beach, and what might be done by the private land owners who donated the property to the City near the beach.

That will be an interesting day. No doubt. Similar to the clearing of about 60 houses across from Costa Azul a number of years back. PN with tear gas, large land moving vehicles. Far less would be needed for Sosua beach to be cleared out in a day or two.

There is no Beach Grab. The vendors have always been there illegally. Jeez, get a clue.
It IS a beach grab by the government...donated is a word used but we all know the original owners are getting market value in other forms from the government. Sure it has nothing to do with the vendors, it has to do with money and the right people on the receiving end.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
On the topic of Sosua Beach and Vendors.....Please pass a bit of what you are smoking, you have left us behind.

Smoking highly illegal substances is not the topic of Sosua Beach and vendors.

Never realized you were a doper.
Admitting you use illegal substances on a public forum is very unclever.

You have something to say that is not personal , I will read it otherwise, well, you know.
This entire topic is personal opinions as not much has happened yet.

Appears you have gone too deep, too long one time too many.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

You really claim to know what "the government wants?
That's a wild claim. My view is that its unclear what they want.
You must know the "government" is representative and there is no one "the government.
The excellent handling of the CV epidemic shows me that one goal is what is best for all the people of the DR.
You have lived here long enough to see the effectiveness of huelgas.
In time we will see what happens.

You do not live in Sosua, you claim to nearly never visit Sosua beach, why should you care.
I dislike Cabarete with its dusty narrow highway,, constant traffic jams and zero parking.
Get going on your bypass so I and others are better able to avoid your town

You go take care of your bypass and we will see what comes first.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You really claim to know what "the government wants?
That's a wild claim. My view is that its unclear what they want.
No, I am not making wild claims. it was published in DR newspapers. They want the hookers out of sight and out of mind. Long ago, in fact. They also have published plans for Sosua Beach as others have mentioned. Sorry that you did not keep up with such local news and the news out of Santo Domingo on this. When whoremongers started publishing videos of their exploits in Sosua, it really pissed off the powers that be. The Sosua beach plans are old news to remove the squatters. Now the town was gifted that land by the actual owners of it. Did you miss that?
You must know the "government" is representative and there is no one "the government.
The government I refer to is the people running the show out of Santo Domingo. You don't think Willy would willfully walk the whores away from the section of Pedro Clisante they were more frequently seen upon do you? You did notice the slight progress on a red light district further east, no?
The excellent handling of the CV epidemic shows me that one goal is what is best for all the people of the DR.
You have lived here long enough to see the effectiveness of huelgas.
Huelgas largely accomplish nothing. So, yes I have seen that.
In time we will see what happens.
Indeed things take time. That much I have learned. The plans for Sosua beach are decades old as others have also noticed.
You do not live in Sosua, you claim to nearly never visit Sosua beach, why should you care.
I had hoped for improvements so that I would visit the beach more. Even with improvements, that is probably still not likely. Other than that, it is just a point of local interest that I live only a few miles away from.
I dislike Cabarete with its dusty narrow highway,, constant traffic jams and zero parking.
Not everyone likes everywhere. That is fine with me you don't like Cabarete. The "central" government has no love for Sosua as it was and still is.
Get going on your bypass so I and others are better able to avoid your town
I really wish the government in Santo Domingo would have done the bypass as they promised. I have no control to "get it on", unfortunately or it would have already gone smack through La Cienaga.
You go take care of your bypass and we will see what comes first.
Cabarete is in the district of Sosua, in case you forgot that. The bypass would be great when Abindader desires to "get er done" regardless of the actual path, but removing La Cienaga would be best.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No, I am not making wild claims. it was published in DR newspapers. They want the hookers out of sight and out of mind. Long ago, in fact. They also have published plans for Sosua Beach as others have mentioned. Sorry that you did not keep up with such local news and the news out of Santo Domingo on this. When whoremongers started publishing videos of their exploits in Sosua, it really pissed off the powers that be. The Sosua beach plans are old news to remove the squatters. Now the town was gifted that land by the actual owners of it. Did you miss that?

The government I refer to is the people running the show out of Santo Domingo. You don't think Willy would willfully walk the whores away from the section of Pedro Clisante they were more frequently seen upon do you? You did notice the slight progress on a red light district further east, no?

Indeed things take time. That much I have learned. The plans for Sosua beach are decades old as others have also noticed.

I had hoped for improvements so that I would visit the beach more. Even with improvements, that is probably still not likely. Other than that, it is just a point of local interest that I live only a few miles away from.

Not everyone likes everywhere. That is fine with me you don't like Cabarete. The "central" government has no love for Sosua as it was and still is.

I really wish the government in Santo Domingo would have done the bypass as they promised. I have no control to "get it on", unfortunately or it would have already gone smack through La Cienaga.

Cabarete is in the district of Sosua, in case you forgot that. The bypass would be great when Abindader desires to "get er done" regardless of the actual path, but removing La Cienaga would be best.
Zoom is holding on to the old Dominican Republic. Can't blame him. 16 years of the do nothing and steal everything PLD has come to a end and people are having a hard time understanding that this new administration is hell bent on making this country run like the 51st state of the USA.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Families on the beach in Sosua from the new houses in Casa Linda, SOV, etc, etc!
Say it isn't so! Oh no! Not FAMILIES!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

We both know what district encompasses Sosua and we both know this is about the city of, not what district is involved.
We have differing opinions. This is getting tiresome. Time will tell how it works out.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We both know what district encompasses Sosua and we both know this is about the city of, not what district is involved.
We have differing opinions. This is getting tiresome. Time will tell how it works out.
Agreed, it is tiresome trying explain the same thing repeatedly to someone who doesn't get it. Sosua v2.0...

Reactions: ctrob

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
...and the beach for most. I really hope it is domestic, it would be best for the area.

It IS a beach grab by the government...donated is a word used but we all know the original owners are getting market value in other forms from the government. Sure it has nothing to do with the vendors, it has to do with money and the right people on the receiving end.

You can't "grab" something you already own. The Dominican public "own" the 60 meter setback. Nobody has a right to build on it.

A Dominican family "own" the property behind the 60 meter setback. Nobody has the right to build on it unless given permission. That family has been been extremely gracious to the beach vendors. Now it looks like they want to use their land for their own enrichment. That's their right to do so.

I don't know where the vendor plaza is being placed. Whether it's built on the 60 mtr setback or on the land behind it doesn't matter, it's not a land grab by any means.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I agree, a Land Grab would be more like what we know as " Eminent domain" in the states .. where the Govt seizes a piece of your Land, so they can build a Road or what not . " with compensation" . which could be market value or whatever
This is nothing like that .
This just sounds like the REAL Owners stepping forward ..
Think of if like a 99 year Lease , and it just expired .. the grand children of those Original Owners deserve their money .

Reactions: ramesses and ctrob

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I agree, a Land Grab would be more like what we know as " Eminent domain" in the states .. where the Govt seizes a piece of your Land, so they can build a Road or what not . " with compensation" . which could be market value or whatever
This is nothing like that .
This just sounds like the REAL Owners stepping forward ..
Think of if like a 99 year Lease , and it just expired .. the grand children of those Original Owners deserve their money .
With proper planning this could easily turn out to be a win-win situation for all parties involved.
If they exclude the beach vendors or fail to take their positions into consideration than I believe
this will create an unfavorable (hostile) environment and a ton of animosity towards this administration
at which point we may start to see some strikes and maybe even some violence directed at those who
are hired to knock down the shacks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With proper planning this could easily turn out to be a win-win situation for all parties involved.
If they exclude the beach vendors or fail to take their positions into consideration than I believe
this will create an unfavorable (hostile) environment and a ton of animosity towards this administration
at which point we may start to see some strikes and maybe even some violence directed at those who
are hired to knock down the shacks.
Agreed, For a day. Maybe two.

There won't be more than a few vendors left if the plan is actually implemented.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
None of this matters. The beach will be no longer available to the everyday person. It's the way things go. Like I said before, it is not the first time I have seen this happen, it certainly won't be the last. Money always wins. All the fight in the world ain't going to change that fact. One moves on the next beach and enjoys it until they take that one away and so on.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The first 60 meters from the mean high tide line will always belong to the public. It can't be taken away. Vendors won't be able to construct casitas there w/o government approval and private property owners can try to make access difficult though.

Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.