Haitian American leaders retreat

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Annie, unless they have a legit shot at emigrating to France, French is a waste. They are so much better off learning Spanish or English. To that tiny list, I would also add Python and SQL. :)
A lot of them have gone to Quebec. They speak kind of a version of French there.

• Haha
Reactions: mountainannie

Big

Apr 24, 2019
YIKES! You clearly know very little of the Haitians who work in construction in the DR?

They BUILT Las Terrenas, as well as the hotel in Portillo.

No skills? I had a handyman in Gazcue who could do EVERYTHING - electric, plumbing repair, concrete work, tile work.

How long have you been in the Dominican Republic?
OK I stand corrected, they will conquer the world one tile at a time.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
and yet more bashing !! FYI English is by and large an international language. It is the language that all Airline communication use. Try using Haitian gibberish-Creole in any business venture. English is the Language of globalization, Spanish and Mandarin rank as well. To be clear, not all English is equal. How they speak in Appalachia stifles their upward mobility.
so odd that you keep referring the Kreyole as "gibberish"
but
Have no difficulty with your pride in speaking Afrikaans - https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/Afrikaans

I doubt that you know much about the people of the mountains outside of Asheville, NC
where I lived for 12 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheville,_North_Carolina or HOW they speak...

Those of us who had English as a mother tongue are very fortunate since English is deemed the most difficult "European" language to learn.

But then - you appear to know all and everything about all and everywhere.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
..."Rojas, with Spanish speakers on one side of his family and Vietnamese and Cantonese speakers on the other, knows the seal goes against strong feelings among some people that English should be No. 1. Foreign-language skills are often overlooked, he said, but “bilingualism is helpful when forming new connections with people around the country, whether it be for social or work purposes.”
There was no such seal on my high school diploma. I speak some Chinese, but like most Americans, I rely on English. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, only 20 percent of Americans can converse in two or more languages, compared with 56 percent of Europeans. Experts estimate about half of the human race is bilingual, at least.",,, https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2b0cc2-6625-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html

..."Only a third of American adults say they have a valid and unexpired U.S. passport (37%) – about the same percentage as those who have never had a passport at all (38%). Another one in five Americans (20%) have an expired or invalid passport."...

Reactions: It wasn't me

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe at CUNY that's in the curriculum lol

Wait! Surfers and pot smokers aren't American? Ahh they may say it with a California accent like "surfs up, brah". Not exactly grad school material
Bro is very common with us military types regardless of the country, Brothers in Arms, as well as many professions like carpentry....prison inmates...etc, anywhere men become close. Back in the 1960s and 70s , my actual brothers and our friends referred to each other as Bros and we were certainly not Americans.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
but
Have no difficulty with your pride in speaking Afrikaans - https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/Afrikaans

I doubt that you know much about the people of the mountains outside of Asheville, NC

Those of us who had English as a mother tongue are very fortunate since English is deemed the most difficult "European" language to learn.

English is indeed considered one of the harder languages to learn. My wife speaks English, Spanish, French and Italian, and a little bit of Serbo-Croatian. My parents are both bi-lingual, my Dad English, French and functional in Spanish, my mother English and Danish. My oldest Brother, English, French, and Russian. My youngest son is fluent in Mandarin, English, and functional in Portuguese. Me, I even have a hard time with English pronunciation at times. Anything over three syllables seems difficult for me. I have no problem understanding just speaking. Afrikaans is about 95 % Dutch so not really a creole language just a different Dutch dialect with a few foreign words thrown in.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
but

you appear to be very unreceptive of others point of view and claim to be the savior and advocate for a dead end culture

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Bro is very common with us military types regardless of the country, Brothers in Arms, as well as many professions like carpentry....prison inmates...etc, anywhere men become close. Back in the 1960s and 70s , my actual brothers and our friends referred to each other as Bros and we were certainly not Americans.
Could be Appalachia.. could be pot smokers (I resemble these first two :)...could be title of respect for Big. In my family it was big bro, little brother, big sis and little sister. This should clear it up nicely lol

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't think that's quite it Bob. In Canadian its etymology can be traced back to the 1800's where it was first used in pub trivia games among perverted old drunkards. "Bro, give us anotha round of beahs, eh!"

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
One of my Haitian friends said: "Compared to Duvalier, Trujillo was a saint." But it was Balaguer who really saved the environment of the Dominican Republic.

Not only did he put more land under national protection but - more importantly - he introduced propane stoves and subsidized propane which essentially eliminated the need for cutting down trees for charcoal.
I remember the Balaguer years after the 12 anos being a time of environmental problems. Carbon was being made all over the mountains, Troncoso his VP was cutting down a lot of timber in government controlled lands among many other issues. When Leonel became president did the gas subsidies start along with the cheap stoves and tanks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You clearly do not actually seem to know much of Haitian history. You perhaps do not know about the distinction between Creole and Blacks in Haiti. You perhaps do not know about the class distinctions between those who speak French vs Kreyole.

Because of your use of the term "tuk tuk" drivers, I assume that you have traveled in Thailand and are perhaps not that well educated in the history of Haiti.

And you assume that I am one of the "hang the rich" crowd, which I am not.

I am a dedicated capitalist. In the US, I would be considered an "Eisenhower Republican"

I am a firm defender to the right of ANYONE to make a fortune. I often post in defense of Jeff Bezos, for example.

FYI - Meet the MRE - the Morally Repugnant Elites

The poverty in Haiti is created BY Haitians, for Haitians.

Many Haitian friends of my will attest to the fact that much of the money that was given by their own communities in the USA and Canada - NEVER reached Haiti but was stolen by Haitians to whom the money was entrusted.
Obvious he know zero about Haiti but if you read between the lines its a thinly disguised opportunity to push his main topic which is the wealthy successful people are constantly unfairly attacked by everyone including the media.
Corruption and how they got wealthy does not matter.
Last week it was a poorly written defense of the Dominican sugar barons and how they are really good people providing jobs for the poor and were being picked on by jealous people due to their wealth.
I believe it was this one as there are two here who are in lock step.

Reactions: It wasn't me

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Obvious he know zero about Haiti but if you read between the lines its a thinly disguised opportunity to push his main topic which is the wealthy successful people are constantly unfairly attacked by everyone including the media.
Last week it was a poorly written defense of the Dominican sugar barons and how they are really good people providing jobs for the poor and were being picked on by jealous people due to their wealth.
When you go on and on and on and on

• Haha
Reactions: jd426 and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
thank you for digesting all of my posts, I am faltered. Have you shot a gun out of your window in Sosua lately to keep the thieves at bay. Please tell us that fairy tale again.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
thank you for digesting all of my posts, I am faltered. Have you shot a gun out of your window in Sosua lately to keep the thieves at bay. Please tell us that fairy tale again.
I imagine his rifle is very much like the one Punkin' Puss used to shoot at Mush Mouse with .. the barrel all bent up

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
OK I stand corrected, they will conquer the world one tile at a time.
MA, you lower yourself by having this conversation.,

Incapable of change or open to new ideas or contrary opinions.

Common knowledge the DR uses Haitian labor to do the hard and dirty construction jobs on the cheap.
I watched Haitian laborers working next to my house. They were digging up and breaking the large rocks with sledge hammers prepping for the foundati
You are welcome and its not easy.

Luckily I had an employee for a time who quit school in grade 8 so I have deciphered the writings of the uneducated before.

I need an explanation of why you are "faltered"?
Look it up and let me know what you are trying to say.
I know you are threatened by me and doing your best to keep up so I empathize with your position.

Your memory is so poor you need me to repeat myself?
Come by anytime after dark, no need to knock, and I will give a demonstration even you will remember.

The buffoon passes gas and the jesters squeal in delight.
Glad to give credit where credit is due, you all are entertaining in a primitive fashion.
Willing to wager the three of you have not read a book since you quit high school.
Have all of you run out of ideas on the topic so fast?

Enough nonsense and drop by any time after dark, I stay up late.

So all three of you have exhausted your knowledge of the topic.
I got lots more so lets get back on topic where we belong so you have an opportunity to learn something.
You stay "faltered" and I will wait right here.