Renewed My Driver's License

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Remember the PNRE? The plan was to "regularize" foreigners in the country and that included expats who were living here after overstaying their tourist visa, so I would say any expat overstaying their tourist visa is in an "irregular" status.
Or whatever legal extension of such
I would prefer DR1's legal expert to comment. Anyone? Do we still have one?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What difference would it make? Those here who have overstayed their tourist card will drive for as long as they like on a foreign license w/o any problem from the authorities.
I know people driving here for 30 years on a foreign license. They have bought and sold cars, had accidents and collected Insurance, etc. And some of the foreign licenses have been expired for 25 of those years...................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What difference would it make? Those here who have overstayed their tourist card will drive for as long as they like on a foreign license w/o any problem from the authorities.
I agree that no one will ever have any problems overstaying illegally or driving illegally.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree that no one will ever have any problems overstaying illegally or driving illegally.
I wouldn't go that far. I drove for a loooong time illegally. On a few occasions my excellent colloquial espanee and knowledge of this culture got me waived through by the comandante (i.e. schmoozing) I would say those incidents were very few and far between, however I would never recommend driving under "non-regular" conditions.

editing to add: and one certainly doesn't want to be involved in some sort of traffic accident/incident as a non regular driver

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wouldn't go that far. I drove for a loooong time illegally. On a few occasions my excellent colloquial espanee and knowledge of this culture got me waived through by the comandante (i.e. schmoozing) I would say those incidents were very few and far between, however I would never recommend driving under "non-regular" conditions.

editing to add: and one certainly doesn't want to be involved in some sort of traffic accident/incident as a non regular driver
But, but, everyone that has had traffic accidents while driving illegally on foreign licenses and never had a problem. Just check back in this thread on all that success. Not one instance of any legal problems or the insurance company not paying has ever been documented.

Surely that is proof there can never be an issue while driving on a foreign license that is not valid after the given time?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
But, but, everyone that has had traffic accidents while driving illegally on foreign licenses and never had a problem. Just check back in this thread on all that success. Not one instance of any legal problems or the insurance company not paying has ever been documented.

Surely that is proof there can never be an issue while driving on a foreign license that is not valid after the given time?
No one believes you are serious now. You're supposed to post the research - I post the annoying sarcastic responses. What's going on?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No one believes you are serious now. You're supposed to post the research - I post the annoying sarcastic responses. What's going on?
Additional legal answers were not forthcoming so I had to use empirical evidence. Which other people live by, it appears.

I am sticking to my story that a foreign license is valid for 6 months regardless if someone is actively trying to become a resident or not until a legal expert says otherwise.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That's pretty desperate lol.......

Half the users do not have a driver's license.

A whole bunch don't have insurance.

Half the roads look like they have been under artillery shelling.

Road lights are few and far between.

More than a third of the vehicules are not road worthy.

Aside form major axes, road signs and painted lines are non-existent.

Casualties on the road are horrendously high.....

BUT AT LEAST in the DR, the license tests are given in Spanish only....... never mind that said test is akin to pushing shapes through a cut out hole.
How dare they only offer the test in their native language?
Where are our DR1 Intellects screaming "xenophobic assholes" when we need them?

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy - our research man again

https://drlawyer.com/espanol/ventajas-del-permiso-de-residencia-en-republica-dominicana/

last bullet point is very clear when translated and confirms the Resolution wording as we read it.

· The resident foreigner can obtain a Dominican driver's license, as well as car insurance; The non-resident foreigner can drive with the license of their country of origin, as well as obtain insurance, but only for the period of their legal stay in the Dominican Republic.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It would make no sense at all that a foreigner on an expired tourist visa(or any extension), as well as any on a student visa, work visa, or tourist visa, would be considered to be in a "regular" immigration status. There's nothing regular about that at all. You're then in an "irregular" immigration status.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy - our research man again

https://drlawyer.com/espanol/ventajas-del-permiso-de-residencia-en-republica-dominicana/

last bullet point is very clear when translated and confirms the Resolution wording as we read it.

· The resident foreigner can obtain a Dominican driver's license, as well as car insurance; The non-resident foreigner can drive with the license of their country of origin, as well as obtain insurance, but only for the period of their legal stay in the Dominican Republic.
It would make no sense at all that a foreigner on an expired tourist visa(or any extension), as well as any on a student visa, work visa, or tourist visa, would be considered to be in a "regular" immigration status. There's nothing regular about that at all. You're then in an "irregular" immigration status.
Given the way the legal opinion is worded a person on a 30 day tourist card can drive legally for 30 days. Get the extension to a maximum of 120 days and the license is valid for 120 days. Sounds good to me as knowing the source of that clarification. That means there are lots of people driving illegally.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Given the way the legal opinion is worded a person on a 30 day tourist card can drive legally for 30 days. Get the extension to a maximum of 120 days and the license is valid for 120 days. Sounds good to me as knowing the source of that clarification. That means there are lots of people driving illegally.
Soooo many. And more than that living illegally! And more than that unvaxxed!!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Regarding driving and car accidents, 10 years of living here full-time and I've never heard nor read about an incident where this mattered....not once.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Regarding driving and car accidents, 10 years of living here full-time and I've never heard nor read about an incident where this mattered....not once.
As I've said before, what's legal, what's enforced, and what you can get away with are all different things.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As I've said before, what's legal, what's enforced, and what you can get away with are all different things.
I agree and it would not surprise me at all if this were to change during this administration.

Reactions: JD Jones