Vacation rental: how much up front?

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
For many years I have helped friends find a hotel or villa in our area near Samaná, but this time I referred a friend to an agent who finds vacation properties. The friend needed a 2-bedroom for a month. The agent found a property for my friend, and I thought all went well. However, now my friend can‘t travel because Canada has told people not to travel unless it is essential, and they have cancelled their flights. Now my friend needs my help because the agent had requested the full rental up front, which my friend paid, and the agent won’t give any of the money back or give us the name of the owner to maybe get a portion of the money back, nor will the agent give her a credit for a future stay. I realize my friend should have maybe asked for a clause to be written in to the contract regarding cancellation because of travel restriction.

My question is this: is it normal to pay the full amount ahead of time? It seems crazy to me that the agent asked for the full month stay before arrival.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm surprised they didn't ask for a security deposit as well.

Reactions: Big

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Most rental agents here that I know follow international news quite closely. Canada did not ban travel, just advised against it. Your friends chose to cancel based on fear and now they have to pay the price. Whether they are dealing with a rental agent or the owner direct, they booked a property in peak season and cancelled based on fear, not fact.

The owner lost the chance to rebook the property based on your friends commitment. Not his/ her fault.

One of life's lessons.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
In my condo, many owners, or their rental agent, would ask for the full rental upfront, especially for a month or less. If you cancel, you'll lose it - unless maybe there's enough time to find another renter.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The norm here is that when you pay for something in advance, that money is gone regardless of the circumstances that might arise prompting you to request a refund. Successfully securing a refund is the exception not the rule. Deposits should be considered payments.

Reactions: stretch and Buck

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
For many years I have helped friends find a hotel or villa in our area near Samaná, but this time I referred a friend to an agent who finds vacation properties. The friend needed a 2-bedroom for a month. The agent found a property for my friend, and I thought all went well. However, now my friend can‘t travel because Canada has told people not to travel unless it is essential, and they have cancelled their flights. Now my friend needs my help because the agent had requested the full rental up front, which my friend paid, and the agent won’t give any of the money back or give us the name of the owner to maybe get a portion of the money back, nor will the agent give her a credit for a future stay. I realize my friend should have maybe asked for a clause to be written in to the contract regarding cancellation because of travel restriction.

My question is this: is it normal to pay the full amount ahead of time? It seems crazy to me that the agent asked for the full month stay before arrival.
It seems crazy for your friend to make such a commitment in such uncertain times.

There are numerous places available to rent now.
Just get a hotel for a day and find a place to rent.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We've rented a few times villas here via Airbnb, always without any issues with any payments, deposits etc. They always clearly state the conditions on the website, so I hope in this case the conditions of the contract were also clear for the OP's friend...

Yes, we've always paid for the full rental at the time of booking.

Reactions: stretch