Conversion from Temporary to Permanent Status

Aug 21, 2007
I'm going to apply for permanent next year and I don't have that much in my DR accounts either. Did that $7000 balance have to be in your account here for any minimum length of time?

I don't believe so. We submitted with our original balances and our lawyer later reported that they would like to see at least $7,000 in the account. We deposited it, got new papers from the bank, and the lawyer submitted them. So I guess they were satisfied.

And now that I recall, we wrote a check to our US dollar account at the bank- a check from our US account. You know that bank holds your funds from foreign checks for about 6 weeks. I spoke to the bank, showed them that the funds have already left our account, explained that I had no intention of using those funds, and they rewrote the letter to include the deposit.

Everything took a little finagling.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and windeguy

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello everyone,
News from our case.
As I expected, they waited until the end of the 3 month deadline to send us our invitations.
I had registered everything on the MIGRATION site, on September 3, and December 3 exactly, we received our summons to go to the Migracion office of SANTO DOMINGO. It was yesterday, December 13th.

There, you must present, your passport, and your last residencia (which they will keep), a copy of the passport, a copy of the summons and a copy of the payment.
Then they give you the new residence and a document that you must submit to la JUNTA ELECTORAL (oficina de extranjeros), for your new cedula card.

For the new cédula, we had to pay 1000 more each, since the old one was out of date from the end of September, and they don't care if it takes take 3 months to Migration to process the file. The cost of the first permanent cédula for one year is 4000 pesos, and the 1000 pesos in addition.

I advise you to go to the Migracion, early in the morning, at the opening, even if your appointment is at 12.00 (our case), otherwise you are taking the risk of not having time to go to for the cédula the same day , whose offices close at 3.00.

This is what we did, instead of going for 12.00, we showed up at 8.00; living in Sosua, we didn't want to risk having to go back to Santo Domingo a second time.

Both cedula and residencia, "first permanente", are valid for one year.

If these infos can help you, I shared with pleasure. Have a great rainy day!

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
Hello everyone,
News from our case.
As I expected, they waited until the end of the 3 month deadline to send us our invitations.
I had registered everything on the MIGRATION site, on September 3, and December 3 exactly, we received our summons to go to the Migracion office of SANTO DOMINGO. It was yesterday, December 13th.

There, you must present, your passport, and your last residencia (which they will keep), a copy of the passport, a copy of the summons and a copy of the payment.
Then they give you the new residence and a document that you must submit to la JUNTA ELECTORAL (oficina de extranjeros), for your new cedula card.

For the new cédula, we had to pay 1000 more each, since the old one was out of date from the end of September, and they don't care if it takes take 3 months to Migration to process the file. The cost of the first permanent cédula for one year is 4000 pesos, and the 1000 pesos in addition.

I advise you to go to the Migracion, early in the morning, at the opening, even if your appointment is at 12.00 (our case), otherwise you are taking the risk of not having time to go to for the cédula the same day , whose offices close at 3.00.

This is what we did, instead of going for 12.00, we showed up at 8.00; living in Sosua, we didn't want to risk having to go back to Santo Domingo a second time.

Both cedula and residencia, "first permanente", are valid for one year.

If these infos can help you, I shared with pleasure. Have a great rainy day!
Hi all, a question regarding cedulas. I have submitted everything needed to renew my residencia temporal.....migracion website says En evaluacion.....cedula and rt9 expire tomorrow. Will I have to start from scratch to renew everything? Can I drive legally with my valid Dominican license and an expired cedula? Thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, no problem. The same thing happened to me. You might have to pay a late fee for the cedula, but I didn't. Your drivers license is still valid.

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Has anyone been to Migracion lately? Are they checking vac. cards or can I enter with a test?
hello,
I was there on December 13th, they asked to show the vaccination cards nand ID, don't know if they accept PCR, I guess so, better check on their website.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I wanted to update my information....Today,,,3.5 months after making the application, I finally received an update on the DGM website to confirm an appoint for 2 weeks from now...

Didnt need to show them $7000 in a bank account and they didnt send out an email either, letting me know I could come down. Just checked the website every day until it showed up.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wanted to update my information....Today,,,3.5 months after making the application, I finally received an update on the DGM website to confirm an appoint for 2 weeks from now...

Didnt need to show them $7000 in a bank account and they didnt send out an email either, letting me know I could come down. Just checked the website every day until it showed up.
What did you show them?

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
What did you show them?
Nothing...the only thing not on their list,,,that is required,,,is a full copy of the passport..I got an email from them 3 weeks after the original appointment. I sent a request asking for confirmation that they received it. They replied. I tried NUMEROUS attempts to get them update me, they were all ignored.

I would suggest making a full copy of the passport and uploading it under the OTHER section...But I simply waited it out...

My girlfriend had called their number 2 months ago and actually got through to someone in that section. They said expect it to take 3-4 months to process,,, even though I went and did the medical exam the same day as my 1st appointment.

Reactions: cavok

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
What did you show them?
To put a finish on this thread, last Friday I went to my appointment at 215 in the afternoon. Dont show up early (like I did), it does no good.
Getting the residency card took 55 minutes. There were processing a large group of 20 Haitians that were there as a group in front of me.

So I had my card in my hands at 315 PM on Friday afternoon.. Everything is GREAT.. I will go to my local office in Veron on Monday and get my cedula, or so I think. The girl tells me I will need to return tomorrow for my cedula.. I ask her what she talking about. She says the cedula office closes in 15 minutes. So what? Who Cares? I reply, I am going to Veron Monday.

NO YOUR NOT !!! Because its a change from temporary to permanent, you MUST go to the main office. Which is exactly 15 minutes driving time away. OK,,no problem, I know where that is at.. I say,,, why do I need to come back tomorrow, wont they be closed? And why cant I go now?

BECAUSE THE CEDULA OFFICE CLOSES AT 330 PM. THESE IDIOTS MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR ME ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON AT 215, KNOWING IT WOULD BE (NEARLY) IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET MY CEDULA.

I was not spending the weekend or returning. I ran to the car and made it at 335, and the cedula office let me in. Since I was the only one there, the process was kinda fast.. They charged my $85 for the renewal and the BS late fee. Still it was better than making a return trip to SD.

The girl in cedula office spoke perfect English, so I asked her. Why doesn't your office communicate with immigration so a late appointment doesnt get made. She looked at me and said she 100% understood and basically immigration doesn't care.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tonchi, now you know one more reason as to why I became a citizen instead of having to continue to deal with the Migracion Morons.
They used to be even worse than the are now.

Reactions: Kricke87 and Tonchi

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Tonchi, now you know one more reason as to why I became a citizen instead of having to continue to deal with the Migracion Morons.
They used to be even worse than the are now.
I am going back in 2-3 years,,,waiting for the economy to blow up under Biden, shouldnt be a long wait, so that home prices will drop. They have been averaging OVER 20% year on year increases thanks to inflation, no evictions, and an artificially low interest rate due to the Fed buy 40 billion in mortgage backed securities a month. Thats now ending, and hopefully the foreclosures will start again and interest rates will rise

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am going back in 2-3 years,,,waiting for the economy to blow up under Biden, shouldnt be a long wait, so that home prices will drop. They have been averaging OVER 20% year on year increases thanks to inflation, no evictions, and an artificially low interest rate due to the Fed buy 40 billion in mortgage backed securities a month. Thats now ending, and hopefully the foreclosures will start again and interest rates will rise
I wish I could predict the future. The house I bought 30 years ago for $299K, sold for $579K 20 years ago is now valued at $1.6 Million in Fremont, CA. I do admit it seems a bit high for 1,763 square feet on a 60 by 80 foot piece of land. Over $50K increase in value annually since I moved to the DR

Good luck dealing with Migracion and using the DR as your live cheap until then place.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I remember looking at houses in Casa Linda 20 yrs ago for 55K and thought the seller was dreaming. Had cash in hand but couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger.
They're probably 5 times that much now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaPlaya