Bamboo rollup outdoor screen ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Looking for a bamboo rollup curtain to shield a balcony from the morning sun
Anyone knw where to get one between Puerto Plata and Cabarete ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you're looking the the "fine" bamboo screens, I haven't been able to find them anywhere. As WW said, on the roadside near Playa Encuentro, I have seen the bamboo screens made with "sticks" about 1/4" in diameter.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Be careful with them, they are very prone to insects, especially if they are rolled up for a certain period of time. I remember being at a friends place some time ago and he dropped his bamboo blind and there were numerous bugs inside it that started scurrying across the patio!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When I first moved here, they were widely available. A lot of owners in my condo had them. The one I have now I bought at Playero in Puerto Plata and is just starting to rot out after 10 years.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When I first moved here, they were widely available. A lot of owners in my condo had them. The one I have now I bought at Playero in Puerto Plata and is just starting to rot out after 10 years.
Haven't seen them there, Maybe Hidelisa ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Haven't seen them there, Maybe Hidelisa ?
I haven't checked there lately, but the last time I did they did have have the type of bamboo roll up screen made out of flat "slats" about 1/4" wide. Very nice looking, but I prefer the other ones because they give you shade, but you can still see through them. Ochoa in Licey and Santiago used to carry them years ago. I haven't checked lately.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I had two made by the guy on the road to Cabarete. He was even there in the rain; and came to install them with the proper tools and a day ahead of schedule. I use them on 2 sides of my porch to keep the afternoon sun out. I love them and if/when I'm not here for extended period of time I roll them up.
Don't remember what I paid, do know it was negotiable and bamboo not slats.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had two made by the guy on the road to Cabarete. He was even there in the rain; and came to install them with the proper tools and a day ahead of schedule. I use them on 2 sides of my porch to keep the afternoon sun out. I love them and if/when I'm not here for extended period of time I roll them up.
Don't remember what I paid, do know it was negotiable and bamboo not slats.
Where is this guy located. Have a name ? Haitian or Dominican ?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Found my notes. My bamboo persons are Pedro and Javier. Javier's number is (829) 698-0772 and he's on whatsapp. I think they're Dominican. Very professional and I'm very pleased with the job, the service and the cost.

Reactions: It wasn't me

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Found my notes. My bamboo persons are Pedro and Javier. Javier's number is (829) 698-0772 and he's on whatsapp. I think they're Dominican. Very professional and I'm very pleased with the job, the service and the cost.
Cool I'll get in touch to see if they still do it. Thanks

Reactions: It wasn't me

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Cool I'll get in touch to see if they still do it. Thanks
I called but he didn't seem to know anything about it