Emergency Care

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
We've been snowbirds in Juan Dolio for the past 8 years. I've often wondered what we'd do in case of a medical emergency, but that was about as far as it's gone. Last night, while speaking with a daughter who is considering a visit, she asked about the availability of emergency care. She had a stroke at 49 (she's fine now), & has long covid, so she does worry about the need for medical care if something were to happen. I had to admit, I really don't know what the answer would be. I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some answers. Thanks.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
In New Juan Dolio there is 2private Clinics for Emergency. 1. Galmedical Internacional DR. Galvez and 2nd another private clinc accross the street from bank popular do not know exact name but something like ADA or Adn...

Both good for emergency and then I would recommend Cedimat (private hospital in Santo Domingo). or Clinica Abreu.
If you have good insurance or $$$ you would be well treated.

I would stay away from the hospitals in San Pedro for hospital stays but can also be good for emergency.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In New Juan Dolio there is 2private Clinics for Emergency. 1. Galmedical Internacional DR. Galvez and 2nd another private clinc accross the street from bank popular do not know exact name but something like ADA or Adn...

Both good for emergency and then I would recommend Cedimat (private hospital in Santo Domingo). or Clinica Abreu.
If you have good insurance or $$$ you would be well treated.

I would stay away from the hospitals in San Pedro for hospital stays but can also be good for emergency.
What about Hospiten in Santo Domingo ? XTraveller I ended up keeping the Humano Escencial Plus plan as I will only be visiting the DR from now on and I am actually visiting now as my residency expired in 2021. In the DR you can have health insurance without residency papers. My insurance now I can use for some tests and they told me hospitalization at Clinica Abreu and Plaza de la Salud and they mentioned a couple of others I forget.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hospiten is a good choice as well.

Wayward

Aug 15, 2017
That's good to know if it's true. Do you know which ones they accept?
The DR hospitals that accept international insurance normally do so undrr agreements with the insurer, so you naturally find insurers with large international operations. Belgium-based Van Breda, for example, fell into this category; now they have been taken over by Cigna, which may help more Americans. It may be helpful to go through your insurer to see who they have arrangements with in the DR. If your coverage is valid internationally— many US policies are, because it’s so much cheaper to be treated anywhere else—you can usually submit the bills after the fact and get reimbursed.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The DR hospitals that accept international insurance normally do so undrr agreements with the insurer, so you naturally find insurers with large international operations. Belgium-based Van Breda, for example, fell into this category; now they have been taken over by Cigna, which may help more Americans. It may be helpful to go through your insurer to see who they have arrangements with in the DR. If your coverage is valid internationally— many US policies are, because it’s so much cheaper to be treated anywhere else—you can usually submit the bills after the fact and get reimbursed.
That's correct. But submitting after the fact and getting reimbursed is a horse of another color.

Reactions: aarhus

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
What about Hospiten in Santo Domingo ? XTraveller I ended up keeping the Humano Escencial Plus plan as I will only be visiting the DR from now on and I am actually visiting now as my residency expired in 2021. In the DR you can have health insurance without residency papers. My insurance now I can use for some tests and they told me hospitalization at Clinica Abreu and Plaza de la Salud and they mentioned a couple of others I forget.
I do not know about Hospiten never been there.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have US based health insurance that is accepted internationally. In the fall of 2004 I fractured my wrist.

I was in Puerto Plata at the time and was taken to Centro Médico Bournigal. They accepted my insurance, got an authorization from the US and treated me without any charge or cash payment.

Bournigal and Brugal in Puerto Plata both were participating hospitals with my Blue Cross and were able to offer this arrangement.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That's correct. But submitting after the fact and getting reimbursed is a horse of another color.
I said that to Humano regarding my international insurance if I was to use that in Europe. The US yes as it was also United Health Care. But outside North America I don’t really know how international it is.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Best answer, hands down.The only place I have instructed my inner circle to take me
That’s good to know as they take my Humano Escencial Plus local insurance that I am keeping despite transitioning to becoming more of a snowbird and staying here 4-5 months a year.