Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The accused are probably guilty based on the information available, but they are guaranteed "timely" justice. Delays can be used by the defendant as the bases for requesting bail (or that charges be dropped).
Exactly what I was referring to.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It might get the British Embassy in the DR and the UK Foreign Office to pull their finger out, but it would need a few thousand signatures. I think the family would be well advised to get a good PR company on the case at this point and to try to get the maximum publicity for this. The DR doesn't like a light being shone into it's dark corners, puts people off from booking their AI holidays and we all know that's what Mr Abinader and Mr Collado care about most of all.

So if it were posted here, on the Everything FB Groups, and a few others, I think there’s a chance there.

Is change.org a good platform? I don’t know much about online petitions.

Reactions: Matilda's Mother

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It might get the British Embassy in the DR and the UK Foreign Office to pull their finger out, but it would need a few thousand signatures. I think the family would be well advised to get a good PR company on the case at this point and to try to get the maximum publicity for this. The DR doesn't like a light being shone into it's dark corners, puts people off from booking their AI holidays and we all know that's what Mr Abinader and Mr Collado care about most of all.

So if it were posted here, on the Everything FB Groups, and a few others, I think there’s a chance there.

Is change.org a good platform? I don’t know much about online petitions.

Somehow I got on change.org's email list. I get emails from them and they generally have counts of 2000 or so sigs, depending of course on what the problem du jour is. I have no clue on how seriously they're taken.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That is the legal system in DR. All trials are decided by a Judge, there are no juries. A lot of the time they consider the evidence in writing before the trial takes place and the trial is pretty much decided as they walk in the door. And there are a lot of accusations of unfairness.
Let this be a cautionary tale for anyone thinking about moving/ living down here.
It may look and feel a lot like home but things move a lot different than where you are from.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
100% aGREED.

Reactions: jd426 and laurajane

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
There was an article today from Listin Diario,,,majority of Dominicans feel..domestic violence should be a private matter ....further.. if spouse wants to visit families, permission is required...7 out of 10 Dominicans stated..... To get a 1st or 2nd murder charge ... premeditation and malice are required. I am surprise a plea deal is not offered due to difficulty proving motive.. Such a tragedy.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: tink23 and AlaPlaya

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There was an article today from Listin Diario,,,majority of Dominicans feel..domestic violence should be a private matter ....further.. if spouse wants to visit families, permission is required...7 out of 10 Dominicans stated..... To get a 1st or 2nd murder charge ... premeditation and malice are required. I am surprise a plea deal is not offered due to difficulty proving motive.. Such a tragedy.

I guess I can see why the male perps feel that way...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Disappointing. I was hoping for something to happen with this trial date. Many of us (off-line/in private) have made calls, emails, etc... We need to stay strong and continue our efforts.

Reactions: AlterEgo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The accused are probably guilty based on the information available, but they are guaranteed "timely" justice. Delays can be used by the defendant as the bases for requesting bail (or that charges be dropped).
No one here doubts their guilt. Seeing their actions post assault and prior attempts it is now obvious they plotted and carried out the murder.
But will Dominicans see it differently because the accused are their own and Lindsay was from far off England?

If they get bail they will be in the wind and the trial will get pushed off into the ether.

The old expression rings true "Justice delayed is justice denied"

Reactions: irishpaddy

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I don't think that's a thing in DR. Firstly most court cases were postponed because of the pandemic. And secondly I think it's true that more than 70% of prisoners are awaiting trial. Look at how often the Odebrecht trial has been delayed.

Let's also look at the positive side of this. Most people on here believe the 4 are guilty, and so far they have served 2 years and 3 months in prison awaiting trial. If they had the money to bribe someone or any influence on anyone, they would have used it by now.

Positive things we can all do. Send a couple of emails. For those who want to help, I think an email to both of the guys below will help as neither one is likely to be particularly busy and will have the right contacts. If they were to receive even 10 emails about this it would get the ambassador's attention I am sure. We all need to say that we are aware that the trial and a bail hearing are imminent and we want confirmation that the relevant governments are aware of the importance of the case and are taking all steps possible to ensure that a fair trial is held. (Of course they will reply that they are, but the more emails they receive, the more they will understand this is a "thing" and will pick up the phone and speak to someone important about it).

UK.inDominicanRepublic@fcdo.gov.uk is the email for the British Embassy in Santo Domingo. Address it to His Excellency Mr Mockbul Ali who is the British Ambassador to Dominican Republic.

pa@dominicanembassy.org.uk is the email for the Dominican Embassy in London. Address it to His Excellency Señor Elnio Manuel Durán who is the ambassador.

Reactions: Auryn and AlterEgo

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

There were three separate attempts to murder poor Lindsay, so I think this case crosses the threshold of the possibility of pre-meditation. And from the way in which she was killed, it is clear there was malice. This is definitely 100% a murder trial, no question of that.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
But will Dominicans see it differently because the accused are their own and Lindsay was from far off England?
Not really. It doesn't matter where the victim is from. The only person who'd want things to go well for a guy like Danilo is his attorney.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The responses seemed all to be Dominican and everyone wrote that they were guilty.
Most Dominicans I know seem to pay closer attention to murder cases when they involve a child or a foreigner. Although I do not use social media , they definitely do.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
That is the legal system in DR. All trials are decided by a Judge, there are no juries. A lot of the time they consider the evidence in writing before the trial takes place and the trial is pretty much decided as they walk in the door. And there are a lot of accusations of unfairness.

Nicole Reyes (now there's a blast from the past for some of the older DR1'ers) is a British woman who was found guilty of murdering her husband Jorge in a trial in Puerto Plata in 2014. The murder trial lasted just 2.5 hours, she wasn't allowed to give evidence (at her own trial!) and then was convicted. But subsequently they gave her bail (after finding her guilty of murder remember), and "accidently" forgot to stamp her passport to stop her leaving the country, so she went to the airport and went back to the UK. That's how Dominican justice works.

These cases are decided by a panel of three judges (tribunal colegiado) upon deliberation, after the parties have presented their closing arguments and the trial is over. The evidence must be previously filed and detailed in writing because the old system was claimed to be unfair. Now, each party must be notified of the evidence that the other one is going to use. This allows each one to prepare and challenge what the other has.

As for unfairness accusations, everyone who doesn't get their claim is going to be unhappy and state it was not fair to them. The legal system, of course has it weaknesses, as it allows for constant adjournments, parties using delays tactics, etc. but, compared to the old one, it has improved a lot. Every system faces strengths and weakness. For instance, I think someone like Casey Anthony walking free is unfair, and that was a trial by jury, in the US.

I see many people have mentioned Nicole's case, but it's not the same thing. If I'm not mistaken that was found to be a "traffic matter.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
There were three separate attempts to murder poor Lindsay, so I think this case crosses the threshold of the possibility of pre-meditation. And from the way in which she was killed, it is clear there was malice. This is definitely 100% a murder trial, no question of that.
Maria...I know he did it......The reason I mention the Listin article, is to point out attitudes of latino males and how it relates to this case, and the existing double standards that exist in our culture...

Status
Not open for further replies.