Cola Wood

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Does anyone know if there is any available Cola timber and a rough price. Thanks

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Got another name for cola wood?
Cocobolo shortened in the Dominican way to Cola. It's a very hard dense timber with a specific gravity of 1.1, in other words it sinks in water. The seasoned wood is deep red/brown and can be highly polished.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I seem to remember it's also called El Subo or something similar. It'll wear out a carbide blade pretty quick. Hard stuff.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I seem to remember it's also called El Subo or something similar. It'll wear out a carbide blade pretty quick. Hard stuff.
Has a lot of different names:
This tree is also known under following names - Caviuna, Cocobolo Prieto, Funeram, Granadillo, Jacarandáholz, Nambar, ñamba, Nicaraguan Rosewood, Palisander, Palissandro, Palo Negro, Pau Preto, Rosewood, and Urauna

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Here it's Cola
Thanks Les. I am here. And I've heard Palo negro. I've lived between Cabarete and Samana and this sort of wood if on the north coast will most likely be found in Nagua, but if you don't peak Pani, bring a translator. There you will find good hard to find wood.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Thanks Les. I am here. And I've heard Palo negro. I've lived between Cabarete and Samana and this sort of wood if on the north coast will most likely be found in Nagua, but if you don't peak Pani, bring a translator. There you will find good hard to find wood.
Thank you

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
medeci, just outside of Santiago heading from pop. I saw it there yrs. ago, it's also called iron wood mainly used for decking because it can last 30 yrs. or more.