Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
!00% agreed. Lost a good friend last November who drowned in Cabarete.
The currents in Cabarete are much stronger where as Sosua Bay has the reef
which helps break them up with almost zero undertow. I would also like to
warn people on the North Coast to be very careful if visiting Playa Los Gringos
in Nagua as the undertow there is horrible.
Where in Cabarete did your friend drown? Drownings reported as being in Cabarete have happened anywhere from Camino del Sol on the east side to Perla Marina on the west side. In over 15 years living in Cabarete full-time on the beach(east side), I don't recall one drowning on "Cabarete Beach" in front of the bars and restaurants.

Because "Cabarete Beach" is oriented east and west in a small bay protected by a reef, the sea and wave conditions there don't remotely resemble the beaches to the east and west. The idea that "Cabarete Beach" in front of the bars and restaurants has strong rip currents and is unsafe is completely false. Here is a link where you can see what I mean and how different/why the conditions are to the east and west and why those beaches are much more dangerous. Pomodoros is on the west end of "Cabarete Beach":

Reactions: Big

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
location, location, location
Now you're nit-picking. There is no way one can compare Playa Sosua to the beach(es) in Cabarete and have Cabarete win when discussing the beach atmosphere/ambiance and pleasure of being in the water. Cabarete is a distant 2nd....or 5th LOL

I would concede that Cabarete is great at night, since there is no nighttime scene on the beach in Sosua. A ridiculous oversight of the Major and the Beach Association, and probably far too late now...with the perhaps imminent changes. But that's not really the topic at hand. ;)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Now you're nit-picking. There is no way one can compare Playa Sosua to the beach(es) in Cabarete and have Cabarete win when discussing the beach atmosphere/ambiance and pleasure of being in the water. Cabarete is a distant 2nd....or 5th LOL

I would concede that Cabarete is great at night, since there is no nighttime scene on the beach in Sosua. A ridiculous oversight of the Major and the Beach Association, and probably far too late now...with the perhaps imminent changes. But that's not really the topic at hand. ;)
I don't think pointing out how wrong you were about dangerous rip currents and people drowning on Cabarete Beach proper is nit-picking at all.

I like Sosua Beach, but much prefer Cabarete Beach. Sosua beach has more restaurants - and that's it. I can go to Cabarete, park in the parking lot alongside Scotia Bank, walk across the street and in the front door of a restaurant and out the back, and I'm on the beach. Can't beat that! The restaurants and bars on Cabarete Beach are much more upscale than the shacks in Sosua and generally have better food. There also tends to be a more upscale crowd on Cabarete Beach, too. Add to that the sight of dozens of windsurfers zipping across the bay and maybe a hundred windsurfers with their different colored kites in the sky and Cabarete wins hands down!

• Sad
Reactions: It wasn't me

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
I was having lunch at one of the places on the beach of Playa Cabarete a few years ago and a local teenager drowned that afternoon right in front of us.
We watched as they went out with a boat and brought him back to shore that day.

Certainly not the type of excitement we expected or wanted to see that day.
And it was a nice day with what I would call normal waves and surf but the tide was strong enough to take his life.

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
I don't think pointing out how wrong you were about dangerous rip currents and people drowning on Cabarete Beach proper is nit-picking at all.

I like Sosua Beach, but much prefer Cabarete Beach. Sosua beach has more restaurants - and that's it. I can go to Cabarete, park in the parking lot alongside Scotia Bank, walk across the street and in the front door of a restaurant and out the back, and I'm on the beach. Can't beat that! The restaurants and bars on Cabarete Beach are much more upscale than the shacks in Sosua and generally have better food. There also tends to be a more upscale crowd on Cabarete Beach, too. Add to that the sight of dozens of windsurfers zipping across the bay and maybe a hundred windsurfers with their different colored kites in the sky and Cabarete wins hands down!
In a very short time 2 people have told of people they know or saw drown. Ignore that or play semantic games if you need but the points are made and your opinion is only that, and unsupported. I don't care who likes Cabarete, or who doesn't and the facts are still the facts. Let's not waste more time or space arguing about opinions. Have the last word if you must, this is mine. ;)

It wasn't me

Banned
Jan 1, 2022
!00% agreed. Lost a good friend last November who drowned in Cabarete.
The currents in Cabarete are much stronger where as Sosua Bay has the reef
which helps break them up with almost zero undertow. I would also like to
warn people on the North Coast to be very careful if visiting Playa Los Gringos
in Nagua as the undertow there is horrible.
My condolences, RIP. I remember you posting about it. It was a tragedy.

Reactions: CristoRey

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Front loop was a favorite of ours i heard it was sold.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where in Cabarete did your friend drown?
According to the police report, in an area called Playa Rocon. I will admit during the year and a few months I spent living in Charamicos I probably visited Cabarete twice so I am not too familiar with how their beaches are positioned but there have several news articles over the last 10 years (unfortunately) about people drowning at beaches within Cabarete.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
According to the police report, in an area called Playa Rocon. I will admit during the year and a few months I spent living in Charamicos I probably visited Cabarete twice so I am not too familiar with how their beaches are positioned but there have several news articles over the last 10 years (unfortunately) about people drowning at beaches within Cabarete.
I've seen that sign somewhere - I believe it's just west of Kite Beach. There have been several drowning there as well as others going west from Kite beach to Playa Encuento and Perla Marina. It might also have been Playa Rinconada which is close to me on the east side of Cabarete. Several people have drowned on the east side of Cabarete also. These drownings are usually just reported as being in Cabarete with no specific location mentioned. The beaches to the east and west of Cabarete "centro" are dangerous, but not the beach in Cabarete centro.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
I was having lunch at one of the places on the beach of Playa Cabarete a few years ago and a local teenager drowned that afternoon right in front of us.
We watched as they went out with a boat and brought him back to shore that day.

Certainly not the type of excitement we expected or wanted to see that day.
And it was a nice day with what I would call normal waves and surf but the tide was strong enough to take his life.

Would have been about were the red x is

Certainly not one of the more aggressive beaches but plenty strong enough
And this wasn't the first drowning at this particular beach over the years

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Although I agree with ALL of what you wrote here .

One question .. How many times , (as a percentage) do you actually go INTO THE WATER at Cabarete Beach ..
I can tell you for me , its about 5 % And we not even gonna talk about the LONG WALK to the waters edge

For Sosua OTOH .. it is 100 % .... I sit my arse on a rented Chair , put my my toes in the Sand, and THEN I go cool off in the Water . REPEAT as needed .

Playa Alicia , is also close to 100% , even though that water gets kind of rough ..but I only do it there because I HAVE to cool off , because the Umbrella alone is just not shade enough and the sand is very very hot . cant even walk without sandals kind of hot .

Therefore IMO, Cabarete Beach is a hang out spot , with good Food & Drink , yes . But it is NOT an ideal Bathing Beach ..not by a long shot .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
In a very short time 2 people have told of people they know or saw drown. Ignore that or play semantic games if you need but the points are made and your opinion is only that, and unsupported. I don't care who likes Cabarete, or who doesn't and the facts are still the facts. Let's not waste more time or space arguing about opinions. Have the last word if you must, this is mine. ;)
Unsupported? Hardly. I've lived here year around in Cabarete for over 15 years, heard the stories and know where they happened, and have been to the beach countless times - not just visited here once or twice and didn't even put your toes in the water. That really is unsupported.

• Sad

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Although I agree with ALL of what you wrote here .

One question .. How many times , (as a percentage) do you actually go INTO THE WATER at Cabarete Beach ..
I can tell you for me , its about 5 % And we not even gonna talk about the LONG WALK to the waters edge

For Sosua OTOH .. it is 100 % .... I sit my arse on a rented Chair , put my my toes in the Sand, and THEN I go cool off in the Water . REPEAT as needed .

Playa Alicia , is also close to 100% , even though that water gets kind of rough ..but I only do it there because I HAVE to cool off , because the Umbrella alone is just not shade enough and the sand is very very hot . cant even walk without sandals kind of hot .

Therefore IMO, Cabarete Beach is a hang out spot , with good Food & Drink , yes . But it is NOT an ideal Bathing Beach ..not by a long shot .
I'd say about the same, but at the same time, I've seen many kids and adults in the water swimming and bathing. Here's a video of a typical day on Cabarete beach: winds are variable 5kts-10kts. virtually no waves at all, and many people, including kids, in the water:

Unfortunately, I can't attach the video(?).

Reactions: jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That would be a parking problem for sure.
I'm wondering where the government expects these vendors to move their businessses to? Judging from some of the previous comments it sounds like most of the prime areas of Cabarete Beach are currently occupied with a higher price tag to boot.

Does this mean the end of cheap drinks and the booty shaking bikini parties?

Reactions: ramesses

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'd say about the same, but at the same time, I've seen many kids and adults in the water swimming and bathing. Here's a video of a typical day on Cabarete beach: winds are variable 5kts-10kts. virtually no waves at all, and many people, including kids, in the water:

Unfortunately, I can't attach the video(?).
This is what it's like the majority of the time on Cabarete Beach. Without any waves, you don't have any rip currents. Any beach can become dangerous when the seas get rough:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm wondering where the government expects these vendors to move their businessses to? Judging from some of the previous comments it sounds like most of the prime areas of Cabarete Beach are currently occupied with a higher price tag to boot.

I'm sure the gov't isn't giving it a second thought. Why would they? It's not their responsibility.

And the whole "signing of the deed transfers" over to the "gov't" was most likely just a song and dance to make everyone more aware of the plazas. Prez comes in, signing on the beach, There's going to be plazas! Everybody has a chance to get in one! BS. No way the owner or the developer gives over control of part of a project to anyone else, especially a gov't entity. They want big sales prices, big rental prices and big HOA fees. No way they let somebody else control part of the project and screw it up - it's too small of a site to begin with.

They just want the beach vendors to think they have a chance of occupying one of the plaza spaces. It's similar to paying a problem tenant to leave a rental unit. I've done it a many times. You just want them out the most expedient way. They just want the vendors to vacate without any violence. It's in everybodys interest to have a smooth transition.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm sure the gov't isn't giving it a second thought. Why would they? It's not their responsibility.

And the whole "signing of the deed transfers" over to the "gov't" was most likely just a song and dance to make everyone more aware of the plazas. Prez comes in, signing on the beach, There's going to be plazas! Everybody has a chance to get in one! BS. No way the owner or the developer gives over control of part of a project to anyone else, especially a gov't entity. They want big sales prices, big rental prices and big HOA fees. No way they let somebody else control part of the project and screw it up - it's too small of a site to begin with.

They just want the beach vendors to think they have a chance of occupying one of the plaza spaces. It's similar to paying a problem tenant to leave a rental unit. I've done it a many times. You just want them out the most expedient way. They just want the vendors to vacate without any violence. It's in everybodys interest to have a smooth transition.
That seems like a pretty big site to me(?). There's about 1/2 mile of beachfront and that owner also has a lot of land on the other side of the road, doesn't he? Those plazas will only occupy a small piece of land on either end of the beach - maybe 150ft(?). My guess is that the owner got quite a few concessions in density and building height in return, as well as guarantees that all approvals will go through smoothly.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm wondering where the government expects these vendors to move their businessses to?

I don't think the government has "expectations" on those businesses continuing to exist at all.

Judging from some of the previous comments it sounds like most of the prime areas of Cabarete Beach are currently occupied with a higher price tag to boot.

There are a number of closed bars and restaurants on Cabarete Beach including what used to be the site of Jose Oshays, now with a blue plastic roof falling in.

Any of the places available on Cabarete Beach would be expensive to very expensive to get up and running and operate.

As for Sosua beach, time will tell.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That seems like a pretty big site to me(?). There's about 1/2 mile of beachfront and that owner also has a lot of land on the other side of the road, doesn't he? Those plazas will only occupy a small piece of land on either end of the beach - maybe 150ft(?). My guess is that the owner got quite a few concessions in density and building height in return, as well as guarantees that all approvals will go through smoothly.

Half mile long but narrow on the beach side of the road. There's a lot of stuff to pack into that site. Besides the two towers, they need parking, maintenance buildings, pools, green space and depending on how they handle the sewage they could need a lot of space for that. That site on the beach side of the highway gets small pretty quick.

Sure, there's room for a couple of plazas on either end. But my point is that I doubt the owner/developer actually signed over that land. I think the reported "deed transfer signing" was just symbolic. I think it was a "Look at what we're doing just for you Beach Vendors! Beautiful Future Plazas! Now Please Leave" song and dance.

I do think the plazas will be built because they benefit the development. But as a developer you never give up control over what happens on your property because it can adversely effect profits. You actually try to control what happens off site too - roads, lighting, traffic lights, etc.

If I'm wrong and the owner gave control of those plazas to the gov't, they made a huge error.

Status
Not open for further replies.