Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hear what you're saying. I've worked with developers. I was with Arvida Corporation in Boca Raton for 5 years. I just think Abinader knows the importance of tourism for Sosua and also considered the importance of the beach to the local residents in Sosua, as well as future residential development there. The plazas aren't much, but they are way better than nothing. That would have been a disaster for Sosua.

Seven story towers don't have that big of a footprint compared to comparable low rise ones and, regardless of the allowed density, I think there is a practical limit due to required water and sewage. I just think the owner/developer might have considered it a good tradeoff to give up control of small parcels at either end in exchange for high story towers(and who knows what else they were given?).

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ctrob, I did not see the paperwork, but just over 6 months ago this was published. Please note the area I highlighted in red
As I understand it , and all other indications I have heard about this, is that the land for the plazas was given to the DR government.
Abinader was in town to accept that land.
How do you interpret the world donated? Looks like the land owners made that what you call a huge error, no?

Abinader announces investment of RD$350 million in the remodeling of Sosúa beach
August 24, 20210643

President Luis Abinader and David Collado in Sosúa.
President Luis Abinader and the Minister of Tourism, David Collado, led the signing of the commitment agreement for the reorganization of Sosúa beach, whose initiative aims to organize the entire environment of the area, currently overcrowded, with the presence of a large number of stalls.

Abinader stressed that the government is characterized by seeking progress through consensus and that it is necessary to develop tourism for the benefit of all sectors. He stressed that the organization of the beach will benefit its vendors.

The works include the construction of the beach area and a place for vendors with a total investment of RD$350 million.

Tourism Minister David Collado praised the efforts of President Abinader's government to recover tourism in the sector.

He added that the government is supporting the Mayor's Office of Sosúa in the construction of the Municipal Funeral Home, the Castle Court and a baseball stadium with a total investment of RD$28 million, as well as the construction of the fire station and civil defense with an investment of RD$33 million.

Don Andrés Pastoriza, on behalf of the Tavares and Pastoriza Tavares families, donated part of his land to the solution proposed by the government.

Pastoriza said that his family has been linked to Sosúa for more than 80 years and that is why he decided to donate the land to contribute to the recovery of tourism in the municipality.

The event was attended by Governor Claritza Rochette, Senator Ginette Bournigal, Bishop Julio César Corniel, Mayor of Sosúa Willy Olivence, URBE businessman José Miguel González Cuadra, as well as Army Commander General Ramón Augusto Betances and Politur CEO Minoru Matsunag.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know, I know, nobody thinks there is an actual plan for tourism to be revived in Sosua, and that the changes to Sosua beach are not part of a larger plan for Sosua and the North Coast.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I hear what you're saying. I've worked with developers. I was with Arvida Corporation in Boca Raton for 5 years. I just think Abinader knows the importance of tourism for Sosua and also considered the importance of the beach to the local residents in Sosua, as well as future residential development there. The plazas aren't much, but they are way better than nothing. That would have been a disaster for Sosua.

Seven story towers don't have that big of a footprint compared to comparable low rise ones and, regardless of the allowed density, I think there is a practical limit due to required water and sewage. I just think the owner/developer might have considered it a good tradeoff to give up control of small parcels at either end in exchange for high story towers(and who knows what else they were given?).
I'm thinking some sort of tax break?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Besides the plazas on each end,the reason for the owner donating land on each end is to keep public access to the beach. If they had sold the entire plot of land to a developer then they could legally shut off public access. El Presidente specifically mentioned that public access to the beach would remain from both ends.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We went to a different beach yesterday with a couple. They told me one of the owners of a business on Sosua Beach already decided to close up on her own. They only visit here a short time each year and didn't recall the name of her business on Sosua Beach.
I guess she figured she would not be able to fight City Hall.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know, I know, nobody thinks there is an actual plan for tourism to be revived in Sosua, and that the changes to Sosua beach are not part of a larger plan for Sosua and the North Coast.
I think this is because most of the naysayers who've lived here are used to the
16 year reign of the "do nothing" PLD.
These folks said the same thing about the plans the Abinader Administration has for
Santiago's public transportation infrastructure which is currently being built as we speak.
Team Luis is marching to a different drum.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think this is because most of the naysayers who've lived here are used to the
16 year reign of the "do nothing" PLD.
They didn't do nothing. They ignored laws and committed many crimes now being prosecuted.
These folks said the same thing about the plans the Abinader Administration has for
Santiago's public transportation infrastructure which is currently being built as we speak.
Team Luis is marching to a different drum.
On the north coast, not much has been different. So far Abinader has been 0 for 2 regarding redoing the resort near Perla Marina (when he was still a private citizen) and reportedly losing out to Sea Horse Ranch and failing on the Cabarete bypass. The Sosua Beach changes, might make him 1 for 3...

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
They didn't do nothing. They ignored laws and committed many crimes now being prosecuted.

On the north coast, not much has been different. So far Abinader has been 0 for 2 regarding redoing the resort near Perla Marina (when he was still a private citizen) and reportedly losing out to Sea Horse Ranch and failing on the Cabarete bypass. The Sosua Beach changes, might make him 1 for 3...
Ah the bypass

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Besides the plazas on each end,the reason for the owner donating land on each end is to keep public access to the beach. If they had sold the entire plot of land to a developer then they could legally shut off public access. El Presidente specifically mentioned that public access to the beach would remain from both ends.

I don't think that really comes into play for Sosua Beach. The public access on each end is well within the 60 meter setback. That would never get closed off.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Supposedly nobody on the beach now actually will be in the new plazas. Just another rumor I heard. Time will tell.
Their goal is to clean it up and get rid of the run down shacks, the hanger-ons and the (in general) "cheap charlie" tourist they chase around trying do/ sell whatever for/to.

I hope they don't bring in outside vendors but I won't be surprised if they do as once these projects are complete Playa Sosua will be considered a prime location.

Indeed time will tell.

Reactions: It wasn't me

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I still can't see how plazas at each end of the beach will work at all. It makes no sense to me. It will be a great place to find companions if that is what you are looking for but sitting on the corner of the beach just doesn't see appealing Maybe some of the new condo owners can start up small restaurants of their own? Buy a condo and offer food and drinks to people on the beach.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I still can't see how plazas at each end of the beach will work at all. It makes no sense to me. It will be a great place to find companions if that is what you are looking for but sitting on the corner of the beach just doesn't see appealing Maybe some of the new condo owners can start up small restaurants of their own? Buy a condo and offer food and drinks to people on the beach.
I don't think it's going to be as bad as you make out. It all depends on just how much land they get and the design of the plaza. I'm sure the restaurants that are there will be renting beach lounges and umbrellas. You won't have stay right on the beach in front of the plaza, but there will be a practical limit as to how far away from the plaza that they will be able to provide service.

Reactions: ramesses

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think it's going to be as bad as you make out. It all depends on just how much land they get and the design of the plaza. I'm sure the restaurants that are there will be renting beach lounges and umbrellas. You won't have stay right on the beach in front of the plaza, but there will be a practical limit as to how far away from the plaza that they will be able to provide service.
I think it makes choices very limited and I am positive the prices will skyrocket. I suppose I am biased as I love the beach the way it is.

Things change, usually for the worse but that is life.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where this limit will be is a question I think many of us are eager to have answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.