Honest Quality Resort/Condo Punta Cana

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Looking for a condo that works close to the beach. Every review I read says nothing works. I understand it is the DR. I have 7 people for 4 nights 5 days and am not looking for surprise charges at check out. Figure $1700-$2200 should give us something that works. Plus will have pregnant sister in law with us. Booked airfares last night.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The 7 people for 4 nights scare owners and property managers away. In the DR that usually translates to 15 to 20 people and they are not gentle on the furniture. You would probably do better looking for 2 units. One for 4 people and one for 3. Then cram in the rest

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
anyone of those massive resorts with communal swimming urinals should fit the bill

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
The 7 people for 4 nights scare owners and property managers away. In the DR that usually translates to 15 to 20 people and they are not gentle on the furniture. You would probably do better looking for 2 units. One for 4 people and one for 3. Then cram in the rest
Huh? SMH not everybody is having teenage parties. Shrimp on the BBQ and Presidente/Tequila shots and some bachata. No teenagers in our family.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You're serious? Do they read the meter before and after?
Yes, it is fairly common with condo/vacation rentals. Most will charge you for your electric consumption. Also, I have seen where the rent included a certain limit and anything above that you are charged the balance.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes, it is fairly common with condo/vacation rentals. Most will charge you for your electric consumption. Also, I have seen where the rent included a certain limit and anything above that you are charged the balance.
And the biggest scam going. If the local kw rate is say 10 pesos, the condo mafia is charging easily double or more.

I think some condos in Cab are billed at 18 pesos and temp renters can be charged over 36. It adds up with ac and hot water fast.

Reactions: NAGUA

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
And the biggest scam going. If the local kw rate is say 10 pesos, the condo mafia is charging easily double or more.

I think some condos in Cab are billed at 18 pesos and temp renters can be charged over 36. It adds up with ac and hot water fast.
That would be a show-stopper for me. I've never heard of that until now. That's being way too cheap/greedy.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I agree I have heard of some pretty outrageous electric bills some were left with. But we have some friends who have a condo in Cap Cana which they rent out when they are not using it. One of the issues they were having was renters being out of the condo all day but then leaving the ac running while out. They had to find some way to balance this out. So, when someone now rents from them, they will provide the renter with electric billing information (previous bills,etc..). So, the renter is well informed of what the charges for electricity will/could be. Anything over the average usage the renter will pay the difference and that is taken out of the deposit.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I agree I have heard of some pretty outrageous electric bills some were left with. But we have some friends who have a condo in Cap Cana which they rent out when they are not using it. One of the issues they were having was renters being out of the condo all day but then leaving the ac running while out. They had to find some way to balance this out. So, when someone now rents from them, they will provide the renter with electric billing information (previous bills,etc..). So, the renter is well informed of what the charges for electricity will/could be. Anything over the average usage the renter will pay the difference and that is taken out of the deposit.

That makes sense. We don't use an AI too much but when we do, we keep the AC in the room on whether we're there or not. I can see how that could drive up the bill.

Reactions: keepcoming

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

I think Playa Turquesa, where OP booked, is now 16 pesos/kw.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
That would be a show-stopper for me. I've never heard of that until now. That's being way too cheap/greedy.
I've had some places in this country where I've stayed for less than a week (booked through airbnb) where they don't charge you electricity. But by and large most people charge for it, and I think it's mostly to keep people mindful about consumption and not leaving the a/c running 24/7. Anything longer than a week and you're definitely paying the electricity here.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016

This is what I am trying to avoid.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Just make sure you take a photo of the meter reading on check in, and on check out. Like I said, it's 16/17 pesos per kwh at Turquesa, so you can do your own math on the rate.
As of a week or so ago, when I emailed them, Yuri said it was 17. I would insist on seeing the meter and as AlaPlaya said taking a foto "for my records". I've learned not to be too trusting and always verify. ;)

Reactions: AlaPlaya

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
This is what I am trying to avoid.
It's a legitimate cost although the rates can be questionable and at least by basing it on your actual consumption it's fairer than just setting a sky-high rate and applying that to everyone. It's like taxes at restaurants. If it's included your prices look too high to some people and if it's broken out you can see it and that offends others. It's hard for the owners to win in that kind of scenario.