Retire in Dominican Republic: To Be or Not to Be?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The whole residency process is a money making scam for the government and lawyers
Why not 10-Year renewals for anyone after their first permanent renewal ?
As long as there is no bad standing ?
Pay some higher fees and reduce the BS renewal load on Migracion ?
I think my next renewal is my last.
After that I will just carry and old Cedula - no one checks the date anyway
Forget it Chico. Mine was confiscated at the airport because the cedula was expired.

Reactions: melphis

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I thought about retiring in a foreign country, but here is the problem: "Even when you make friends, you’ll still be a foreigner, even after living there for many years." I like to be near my old stomping grounds with family and friends and don't like to be a foreigner, at least not for long.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I thought about retiring in a foreign country, but here is the problem: "Even when you make friends, you’ll still be a foreigner, even after living there for many years." I like to be near my old stomping grounds with family and friends and don't like to be a foreigner, at least not for long.
Well said

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
And not even possible who were banished - ridden out of town on a rail, as they

Might be a couple of those lurking here........

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Is anyone forcing you to stay? I stay here because I like being here.
You seem like a decent guy, a little picky, but decent. That said, i do enjoy it here most of the time. I guess you should have asked the poster that i replied to. But you chose me. Imagine that lol. You don't know me i don't know you but I'll venture out in saying last Christmas I completed 18 years here. I stay for personal reasons those of which you have zero idea or knowledge of. Life is complicated sir. I can guarantee I'm more in touch with this place, the people and the language and the culture than you could guess as you do not know me. That said, do I still feel like a foreigner sometimes? Absolutely! Do i get homesick, sometimes, but it's mostly food related. I never said anything about not wanting to be here or not liking it. I replied because you seem reasonable enough to read this and maybe withdraw your pot shot.

Reactions: mountainannie

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I absolutely love it here.
The way things move here is like a cross between Jacksonville, FL in the 1980s and New Orleans pre-Katrina. From the way Dominicans behave (modern day culture) to the foods they eat to the Carnival. Reminds me of home more than anywhere I've ever lived outside the USA or traveled too.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
And not even possible who were banished - ridden out of town on a rail, as they

Might be a couple of those lurking here........
A guy once told me he became one of "the usual suspects" that police rounded up after a crime was committed. He worked as a bartender in a biker bar at the time. So he moved overseas to a tropical beach where no one knew him.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
A guy once told me he became one of "the usual suspects" that police rounded up after a crime was committed. He worked as a bartender in a biker bar at the time. So he moved overseas to a tropical beach where no one knew him.
Smart. I'm sure it has happened to all of us at one time or another, being confused with someone else. Really bad if it's by police. You can't prove innocense folks. [I got pulled over because a similar vehicle was invloved in an armed robbery]

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
Whats driving the construction frenzy in Juan Dolio?

Maybe start a new thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You seem like a decent guy, a little picky, but decent. That said, i do enjoy it here most of the time. I guess you should have asked the poster that i replied to. But you chose me. Imagine that lol. You don't know me i don't know you but I'll venture out in saying last Christmas I completed 18 years here. I stay for personal reasons those of which you have zero idea or knowledge of. Life is complicated sir. I can guarantee I'm more in touch with this place, the people and the language and the culture than you could guess as you do not know me. That said, do I still feel like a foreigner sometimes? Absolutely! Do i get homesick, sometimes, but it's mostly food related. I never said anything about not wanting to be here or not liking it. I replied because you seem reasonable enough to read this and maybe withdraw your pot shot.
I replied to you because I believe kcdmps, who made the original comment, where he said he preferred to be with family and friends, lives in his country where they are. You appeared to agree with him and yet you live here.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I replied to you because I believe kcdmps, who made the original comment, where he said he preferred to be with family and friends, lives in his country where they are. You appeared to agree with him and yet you live here.
I believe i liked the way he explained his feelings on the issue, hence well said. I really have no idea what you needed to say to me when it was a reply to another post. It's ok though Stock, I know you've cared all along. You've always been there bud. I hope you have a great rest of day sir!

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Smart. I'm sure it has happened to all of us at one time or another, being confused with someone else. Really bad if it's by police. You can't prove innocense folks. [I got pulled over because a similar vehicle was invloved in an armed robbery]
He was getting picked up on a routine basis by the police for crimes he did not commit because he made the usual suspects list.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I understand you 100%. I wouldn’t think of living, even parttime, on the DR if not married to a Dominican wife and have her family here.
If you are not in this situation, it is hard to have real Dominican friends here.

Reactions: XTraveller

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I stopped reading at "Overall, the cost of living in the Dominican Republic is about 40% lower than in the U.S., according to March 2022 data from Numbeo. The average American earns about $1,650 per month in Social Security retirement benefits. This means that retirees who move to the Dominican Republic should have no trouble making ends meet."

Not.

Peso goes UP Peso Goes Down....

It is a good place for Old Men to go... since the US Social Security will pay 1/2 benefits to minor children up to 18 (if... yadayada) The older a man is, the More Attractive he is to the Younger Women --

And certainly THAT is better than the Old Folks Home here....

For Foreign Women -- well -- it is a minefield...

And How Many Stranded Gringos have we seen here? No $$$ to go home.
But the expats are certainly a colorful lot - drug lords from ALL over....
Corsican terrorists

I met two guys whose father's were Mob Hit guys...

Don't get that just anywhere, right?