Motorcycle Licenses and Illegal Aliens

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is he wrong about?
One thing. The length of time a person can drive on a foreign license, years ago I thought it was the same as you were legally in the country which is 30 days on a tourist card. A foreign license (barring an International License which is OK for up to 6 months if you are not from a country where the DR recognizes the license) is valid for 90 days since that is a separate agency with separate laws. . I admitted that long ago. There are just trying to have fun, let them play in their sandbox with the other illegal aliens.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I have no direct contact. Third party information was that he was "clipped" by a vehicle driven by "gringos" on the main road in Cabarete, his leg was severely damaged and my lose it , he is in the hospital in Santiago and his children are here and will fly him to Canada when he is stabilized.
Steve Costa Azul, the pool guy?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If the Ministry of Tourism has an opinion on license validity --
Does anybody care ??

Is my driver’s license valid in the Dominican Republic?

Yes it is valid, but only for the duration of your legal stay–i.e. your 30-day tourist card or visa term.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anybody care ??

Yes it is valid, but only for the duration of your legal stay–i.e. your 30-day tourist card or visa term.
Still waiting for your posts on people that did not get paid by car insurance companies when over the "legal" limit. Also reports on ANYONE having a problem with the Policia for driving over the "limit". In fact been waiting over 10 years, or the length of time you have reminded us of the "rules". Not holding my breath.............

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I could be wrong but you would have to show me a post that someone personally did not get paid by an insurance company after 90 days. I say this because I know of many people living here that have been paid after 90 days..............And none that have NOT been paid.
I don't expect to see one, but waiting..............
Perhaps somebody else remembers it too .... I haven't the skills to retrieve it.

Similarly, there is a post about non-resident health insurance -
Yes, it works but the limits are different for residents..... that too , was posted a while back

Hopefully, an insurance person can clear that one up.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Still waiting for your posts on people that did not get paid by car insurance companies when over the "legal" limit. Also reports on ANYONE having a problem with the Policia for driving over the "limit". In fact been waiting over 10 years, or the length of time you have reminded us of the "rules". Not holding my breath.............
My "board friend" began his day with the blanket handwaving statement "illegals are not offered the sames rights under the law", for which I asked for cited cases where this was true. He then deflected to me to prove the contrapositive. That said, we await the citations of both now.

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Car Insurance in the DR. These companies make BIG money on FULL Insurance. Possibly one of the biggest ripoffs here. You can pay $2,000-3000 per year for this ripoff as opposed to $100-150 for "Ley" coverage. With Ley you are lawfully covered for injuries in any accident. The majority of customers paying this ripoff {with high deductibles I may add} are Gringos. Most not Residents. No company wants to lose this business as even rich Dominicans do not bite on this. So they PAY, and will continue to pay anyone with a valid policy.....................

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I am sure you remember a long time and well respected poster on Dr1 that went under CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC who has since passed on.

He was in the DR for about 30 years on a Tourist Visa. He owned and drove cars here for 30 years, had car insurance, a home. Even worked in a Dominican Hospital for many years. He traveled extensively in and out of the DR. Payed the overstay fee dozens of times with no problems of any kind.

He is a good example of your “illegal alien” I presume……………….
How was he able to work in a hospital on a tourist visa,that is illegal,no??

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Tom, i don't know how this guy was paid, but the DGII has plenty of ways for companies to pay foreigners. Formally the individual would get hit with an ITBIS charge but there are just so many places employing low level support staff under the table.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is EXACTLY my point. As Windy said, no one cares. He did his job and got paid for it off the books so to speak. And we KNOW this is true. Just the way of life in the DR. Embrace it and live a better life..............

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Tom, i don't know how this guy was paid, but the DGII has plenty of ways for companies to pay foreigners. Formally the individual would get hit with an ITBIS charge but there are just so many places employing low level support staff under the table.
Tom (CC) was not a low level support guy.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This is EXACTLY my point. As Windy said, no one cares. He did his job and got paid for it off the books so to speak. And we KNOW this is true. Just the way of life in the DR. Embrace it and live a better life..............
I'll drop this tale of an illegal alien and his mate who was a Dominicana Yol who came to DR, opened a Dominican business corporation and collected lovely and generous consulting fees for years in la capitai working for organizations such as GLJ, Brugal, Acromax, and a few others. They had a top floor apartment with a jacuzzi done via a lease based on a US Passport and they drank very old single malt scotch, laughing and holding hands.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'll drop this tale of an illegal alien and his mate who was a Dominicana Yol who came to DR, opened a Dominican business corporation and collected lovely and generous consulting fees for years in la capitai working for organizations such as GLJ, Brugal, Acromax, and a few others. They had a top floor apartment with a jacuzzi done via a lease based on a US Passport and they drank very old single malt scotch, laughing and holding hands.
Do they drive a moto?

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Does anybody care ??

So if you do the visa extension option, to 90 days, your license is valid for the full 90?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes.... that is the point of renewing before the 30 days runs out..... to protect your status in the country
Comes in 30 bites , I think....

As controversial as this all is....

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Do they drive a moto?
One drives an apache motorcycle, i believe, replete with all legal paperwork, insurance paper and Disney stickers in the name of the agency with alien's name as "buyer" (as a workaround) where a motor was purchased with 140k pesos and a US passport.

Is moto for Motorola?
Paso la=scooter
Motor or motocicleta=motorcycle
Moto i thought is what gringos that don't peaky Pani say when they want to go to janets