Jarabacoa - Who is the mayor ?

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
Thank you all , Just looking at/for places to visit and of interest. Private residences, as I prefer to stare at my wife at night than strangers... Who has romance with a crowd. :sneaky:

Reactions: bob saunders

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
OH WHATS WITH THE FIREPLACES IN SO MANY LOCATIONS? Does it really get that cold up there? I'm from Canada, so Caribbean cold like 6 am cool mornings where I am in shorts still and they are in winter jackets and hats and its 17degrees?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
OH WHATS WITH THE FIREPLACES IN SO MANY LOCATIONS? Does it really get that cold up there? I'm from Canada, so Caribbean cold like 6 am cool mornings where I am in shorts still and they are in winter jackets and hats and its 17degrees?
16 degrees Celsius this morning. 13-16 is common overnight in the winter months. Some of the villas are in the mountains where 8-10 isn't uncommon. Jarabacoa caters to the rich Dominicans not foreigners.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
16 degrees Celsius this morning. 13-16 is common overnight in the winter months. Some of the villas are in the mountains where 8-10 isn't uncommon. Jarabacoa caters to the rich Dominicans not foreigners.
So autumn like Canadian weather. Thanks was just curious as I saw the mention of fireplaces in quiet a few places. Money is money and these days, that's all the world wants 🤷‍♂️. Local or foreign.:rolleyes::)

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I spent a night in Jarabacoa many years ago when I was married and I swear we almost froze to death.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I spent a night in Jarabacoa many years ago when I was married and I swear we almost froze to death.
You are exaggerating I hope , or you went without a good pair of fleece pajama pants ?
But thanks I will ensure to take a place with a fireplace as it will be in the autumn by the time I get to that part of the island.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You are exaggerating I hope , or you went without a good pair of fleece pajama pants ?
But thanks I will ensure to take a place with a fireplace as it will be in the autumn by the time I get to that part of the island.
I don't even know what fleece pajamas are! lol

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
On one of my first trips to the DR, in the fall or winter, the hotel I was staying at did not offer any bedding beyond a top sheet for warmth. I slept a few nights in jeans and a jacket, wrapped up in towels. It was bizarre.

Worse was up at the top camp on Pico Duarte, in January where frost or even snow is possible. We were cold enough, despite trying to anticipate the weather and dressing accordingly in many layers, that our teeth were chattering and we were shaking uncontrollably until we moved closer to a fire. Signs of hypothermia.

Luckily now all hotels and AirBnB's I've stayed in for the last 10 years have comforters and blankets.

I want to climb Pico Duarte again one day, it was an amazing voyage I still dream about.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
It makes me want to move to Jarabacoa. Maybe Bob and Cobraboy and I can all hang out! LOL :p

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
On one of my first trips to the DR, in the fall or winter, the hotel I was staying at did not offer any bedding beyond a top sheet for warmth. I slept a few nights in jeans and a jacket, wrapped up in towels. It was bizarre.

Worse was up at the top camp on Pico Duarte, in January where frost or even snow is possible. We were cold enough, despite trying to anticipate the weather and dressing accordingly in many layers, that our teeth were chattering and we were shaking uncontrollably until we moved closer to a fire. Signs of hypothermia.

Luckily now all hotels and AirBnB's I've stayed in for the last 10 years have comforters and blankets.

I want to climb Pico Duarte again one day, it was an amazing voyage I still dream about.
LOL, fleece pajama's. I am from Canada, played football in the snow with a nice layer of ice water below it, been thru an Ice storm, had no power for 3 days and the catch , I owned a king size water bed at the time. So as long as it does not go below 0 degrees , I will be good.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I called them flannels when i was a kid. Different material than fleece. Fleece sounds like what rich folks wear
No but for those who live in a cold climate weather. Flannel and fleece are different.

Fleece holds heat better and thus provides more warmth. Flannel has a breathable cotton weave that can keep you warm and prevent you from overheating at the same time. Fleece has greater strength and durability and will hold up in the wash for a long time. Flannel gets softer and wears out over time.