Retire in Dominican Republic: To Be or Not to Be?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I stopped reading at "Overall, the cost of living in the Dominican Republic is about 40% lower than in the U.S., according to March 2022 data from Numbeo. The average American earns about $1,650 per month in Social Security retirement benefits. This means that retirees who move to the Dominican Republic should have no trouble making ends meet."

Not.

Peso goes UP Peso Goes Down....

It is a good place for Old Men to go... since the US Social Security will pay 1/2 benefits to minor children up to 18 (if... yadayada) The older a man is, the More Attractive he is to the Younger Women --

And certainly THAT is better than the Old Folks Home here....

For Foreign Women -- well -- it is a minefield...

And How Many Stranded Gringos have we seen here? No $$$ to go home.
But the expats are certainly a colorful lot - drug lords from ALL over....
Corsican terrorists

I met two guys whose father's were Mob Hit guys...

Don't get that just anywhere, right?
When I PLANNED my move there
the Peso was at 50

When I ARRIVED
it plunged to 25

BANNITAR, dontchaknow

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
He was getting picked up on a routine basis by the police for crimes he did not commit because he made the usual suspects list.
I used to have the same problem and it was one the main reasons I left the states for good spring of '06. Haven't matched the description of the suspect since.

Jan 9, 2004
When I PLANNED my move there
the Peso was at 50

When I ARRIVED
it plunged to 25

BANNITAR, dontchaknow
I believe you mean the peso actually strengthened/gained for that brief period after the IMF bailed out the DR. 50/1 to 25/1 USD would signify a strengthening......not a plunge.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In her case , it was a plunge -- making her life more expensive

Yes, you're about peso strength..... she cared about US$ buying power

Reactions: JD Jones

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I remember a story about an American expat who retired to a beach resort town in a foreign country. He committed suicide soon after the move -- He left a note that said, after arriving and settling in, he went to all of the tourist attractions. He then felt very lonely and isolated in a society where he didn't even speak the language.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I remember a story about an American expat who retired to a beach resort town in a foreign country. He committed suicide soon after the move -- He left a note that said, after arriving and settling in, he went to all of the tourist attractions. He then felt very lonely and isolated in a society where he didn't even speak the language.
The psychological effects are varied and highly dependent on the individual's psych profile and their respective life situation. You always have this honeymoon phase. There exists phases where loneliness, homesickness, depression may kick in, again, depending on the individual. Adaptation takes years. Most are back home before that happens. Few make the long haul.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I used to have the same problem and it was one the main reasons I left the states for good spring of '06. Haven't matched the description of the suspect since.
There ya go, a new neighborhood and a new lifestyle can work wonders.

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Perhaps if you speak the language, yes. I've found things like church groups can be very cliquish.
I have not found them to be cliquish at all. I guess different experiences. When I lived in the States years ago, I was the token white at an all black church. The members went out of their way to make me feel welcome, including a Thanksgiving home invitation.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There ya go, a new neighborhood and a new lifestyle can work wonders.
Out of sight.
Out of mind.
No doubt all of those short little power hungry control freaks are getting their just dues now. LOL, life is tough in the big city.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
Can a retired person from the United State use his/her insurance (Medicare/Veteran's Insurace/Private insurance in Dominican Republic?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can a retired person from the United State use his/her insurance (Medicare/Veteran's Insurace/Private insurance in Dominican Republic?
Medicare is not accepted in the DR.

Any other plans would depend on how they cover people while out of the USA.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Medicare is not accepted in the DR.

Any other plans would depend on how they cover people while out of the USA.
Doesn't the HOMS hospital in Santiago accept medicare?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do not know of anywhere that will bill Medicare. You can pay and then submit the bill to Medicare yourself. But I do not know of anywhere that bills Medicare directly. Medicare HMOs seem to be the same, pay the bill and then send them the bill and see if they will reimburse you.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
That may be misleading regarding Medicare in Santiago. Do you know of anyone who received Medicare coverage in Santiago? Probably not. Here is the official Medicare statement with regard to overseas coverage from medicare.gov:

"Travel outside the U.S.​

Medicare usually doesn’t cover health care while you’re traveling outside the U.S. There are some exceptions, including some cases where
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)
may pay for services that you get on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S. However, Medicare won't pay for health care services you get when a ship is more than 6 hours away from a U.S. port.

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, and ambulance services you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:
  • You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.
  • You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another U.S state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.
  • You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists."