Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
1652014044848.png

Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Welding is an art form. Some can do it well and they are in demand
I don't have a lot of skills welding but when it comes to put a couple pieces of metal together I don't need to go nowhere I have an Inverter stick welder machine.

Most of time I used it just for my inventions. Mostly specialty tools.

JJ

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
Any update on the opening of the bridge ?
I used públicos to go to Puerto Plata on Saturday. So I was in 4 different públicos to go and come back. All four drivers said one week to be open but when I crossed the bridge to come back I asked a senior looking National Police officer and he said 2 weeks.

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I used públicos to go to Puerto Plata on Saturday. So I was in 4 different públicos to go and come back. All four drivers said one week to be open but when I crossed the bridge to come back I asked a senior looking National Police officer and he said 2 weeks.
Anyone's guess but everyday it is closed it is damaging to the economy of the North Coast

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Anybody knows if it is open for small vehicles now?
I passed the bridge yesterday at noon.
Pedestrians only. Work is visibly in progress but nobody can tell the opening date.
Plenty of transport oportunities on both sides of the bridge, including Caribetours to Santo Domingo

• Wow
Reactions: HDR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I passed the bridge yesterday at noon.
Pedestrians only. Work is visibly in progress but nobody can tell the opening date.
Plenty of transport oportunities on both sides of the bridge, including Caribetours to Santo Domingo
That's the problem - The Syndicate is milking this one for lucrative 24/7 work. There is no need for huge foundation reinforcements for a bridge they plan on replacing soon.
Fix the faulting steel, replace the diamond plate on the walkway and re-open for 2-axle vehicles and save the North Coast some money.
How much have businesses on either side lost for reasons like employees not arriving, or customers not able to go shopping.
How many people were not able to be transported to the hospital and how many tourists canceled reservations, etc.
I bet Jumbo alone loses a couple hundred food shoppers daily, and the tourist destinations like Ambar Museum, or the buggy tours, Brugal Factory, Teleferico and others are beginning to count their lost revenue as well.
And what about meeting friends coming in on cruises or cruise boat passengers who want to take a side trip to Sosua.

I would like to hear some real numbers from some of those businesses on either side.
Taxis might be doing better ? short hauls and people parking their cars at home and going to the bridge in taxis

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That's the problem - The Syndicate is milking this one for lucrative 24/7 work. There is no need for huge foundation reinforcements for a bridge they plan on replacing soon.
Fix the faulting steel, replace the diamond plate on the walkway and re-open for 2-axle vehicles and save the North Coast some money.
How much have businesses on either side lost for reasons like employees not arriving, or customers not able to go shopping.
How many people were not able to be transported to the hospital and how many tourists canceled reservations, etc.
I bet Jumbo alone loses a couple hundred food shoppers daily, and the tourist destinations like Ambar Museum, or the buggy tours, Brugal Factory, Teleferico and others are beginning to count their lost revenue as well.
And what about meeting friends coming in on cruises or cruise boat passengers who want to take a side trip to Sosua.

I would like to hear some real numbers from some of those businesses on either side.
Taxis might be doing better ? short hauls and people parking their cars at home and going to the bridge in taxis
Business located on Carretera Jamao are doing better now.
I heard that road is not in great condition.

JJ

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Thanks for reserving your upcoming trip with WestJet Vacations. We wish to notify you of additional information we’ve received regarding your stay. The details we have are as follows:

WestJet has been advised that the bridge that connects hotels in Puerto Plata to the airport is out of service. Repair work has commenced and will take approximately two (2) months to complete.

As a result, hotel transfers are being re-routed and will take at least 90 minutes longer than originally projected.

Thanks for being our guest, and we hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Reactions: CristoRey

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
90 minutes longer?? The alternate route is fine now. Me and my wife go there once a day. And since at least Friday last week the trip only takes 10-15 minutes longer than it used to going over the bridge. And big trucks are coming through those roads. So if you have a car it's only stupid to go to the bridge leave your car and then take taxi/Public transport from the other side. Just drive the alternate route..

Reactions: HDR and bachata

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
90 minutes longer?? The alternate route is fine now. Me and my wife go there once a day. And since at least Friday last week the trip only takes 10-15 minutes longer than it used to going over the bridge. And big trucks are coming through those roads. So if you have a car it's only stupid to go to the bridge leave your car and then take taxi/Public transport from the other side. Just drive the alternate route..

You have a "low car" or a SUV? TIA

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
My video, last time in DR.

JJ
Two things. Why are you driving with either warning lights or turn lights on? That's annoying common here with people either driving with warning lights or turn lights on for several miles and then suddenly out of the blue just turning which just causes confusion. Secondly, the bridge was NOT built in the 20s. Sosúa was founded by Jewish refugees that fled the war end of 30s beginning 1940s. And according to several sources the bridge was built in the 50s.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Two things. Why are you driving with either warning lights or turn lights on? That's annoying common here with people either driving with warning lights or turn lights on for several miles and then suddenly out of the blue just turning which just causes confusion. Secondly, the bridge was NOT built in the 20s. Sosúa was founded by Jewish refugees that fled the war end of 30s beginning 1940s. And according to several sources the bridge was built in the 50s.
Yes you are right, later on I found out the bridge was built during Trujillo era 1940s.

I Wonder you assumed I am with blinkers on due the the clicking noise in the video.
But that noise might be something else, my wife who was recording will yell on me if that would be the turn signal or the Hazzard light...She always does! Ja Ja

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes you are right, later on I found out the bridge was built during Trujillo era 1940s.

I Wonder you assumed I am with blinkers on due the the clicking noise in the video.
But that noise might be something else, my wife who was recording will yell on me if that would be the turn signal or the Hazzard light...She always does! Ja Ja
The 40s ? Are you certain of that. That looks like a commonly used design from about the mid 50s using wide flange beams.
Not saying it could not have been from the 40s, because Pratt Truss bridges (see below photo) have been around since way before 1940 but I would have not expected to see one in DR

Attachments

• 397078-L.jpg
    397078-L.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 85

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a low car. So if I can, anybody can..
Travelled it yesterday. Yes, just about anyone can do it now. There will remain those very tight sections when large trucks pass within a few inches.
They did get rid of the choke point where I had to wait for an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.