Snowbirds complaining they left DR too soon

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have a few Canadian friends who have cycled through for the past 3 years and another from New York and one from Chicago
I have heard from them since they returned and they are saying they usually leave at the end of March and the weather is warming up North by then.
But this year I am hearing, especially in Canada, that they should have waited another month or 6 weeks as the weather is abnormally cold, even with snow in May in Toronto
And my friends in Mississauga say this week another cold front is predicted this week with highs not reaching 60.
It seems to me the weather on the North Coast so far this year (3rd week of May) is also cooler than the past 4 years here in Sosua. (And I am not complaining for that )

Anyone else feel things are cooler so far ?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I have a few Canadian friends who have cycled through for the past 3 years and another from New York and one from Chicago
I have heard from them since they returned and they are saying they usually leave at the end of March and the weather is warming up North by then.
But this year I am hearing, especially in Canada, that they should have waited another month or 6 weeks as the weather is abnormally cold, even with snow in May in Toronto
And my friends in Mississauga say this week another cold front is predicted this week with highs not reaching 60.
It seems to me the weather on the North Coast so far this year (3rd week of May) is also cooler than the past 4 years here in Sosua. (And I am not complaining for that )

I'm not but my friend in London,Ont. said it was 3C and rain snow mix with fog 10 days ago.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
19c 2 hrs east of Toronto, right now
High for today 27c feels like 33c
Its being like this all week

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Sounds like more global warming.
A/C bill is gonna be thru the roof for them folks.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe their heating bills ? Especially with natural gas prices increasing so much.
I wonder is they need heating bills in Jarabacoa ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Maybe their heating bills ? Especially with natural gas prices increasing so much.
I recommend a small space heater.
I bought a Honeywell ceramic Uber Heat off Amazon 5 years ago. Cool damp mornings during the winter months are a thing of the past. Best $35 I've spent in a long time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe their heating bills ? Especially with natural gas prices increasing so much

I recommend a small space heater.
I bought a Honeywell ceramic Uber Heat off Amazon 5 years ago. Cool damp mornings during the winter months are a thing of the past. Best $35 I've spent in a long time.
I guess your mini split does not have a heating option ?
Speaking of units for controlling temp in DR. Has anyone used the Sensibo AC Controller for a mini-split

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There was a year a long time ago when the Northern Hemisphere didn't had a real summer. People in many cities in North America had to wear a jacket in July and August. That was before global warming (and global cooling) was a thing.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not required, average overnight temp in Jarabacoa is in the 17-18 C range and about 23 by nine AM. Usually day time high is about 4 degree cooler than Santiago. Very pleasant temperatures most of the time but can be quite hot at times. A rare day in the winter when the temperature doesn't reach the mid twenty C.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not required, average overnight temp in Jarabacoa is in the 17-18 C range and about 23 by nine AM. Usually day time high is about 4 degree cooler than Santiago. Very pleasant temperatures most of the time but can be quite hot at times. A rare day in the winter when the temperature doesn't reach the mid twenty C.
I just flashbacked to weekends up in Ocoa mountains, shivering. Breezy and 15-16C. We sold, so did my BIL, not my idea of Caribbean

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Right now its 27c, feels like 36c
Supposed to rain next couple days, then cool off lows like 17c, for a couple days , then back up to 24c
Selby ont

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
Yeah the Cibao egion overall has the most desirable year round climate. I was Consatanza a few weeks and the weather all though hot was about perfect. The air is SO pure and
nights and mornings feel like New England . The winter months get extremely cold and jackets are usually worn by all any time of year but even on the hottest days there is relatively little to no humidity unlike the coastal areas which become more unbearable each year...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
P
I just flashbacked to weekends up in Ocoa mountains, shivering. Breezy and 15-16C. We sold, so did my BIL, not my idea of Caribbean
Old bones don't like it too cold or too hot.
But just right - like porridge

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
P

Old bones don't like it too cold or too hot.
But just right - like porridge
You got me there!
42B50ED2-DB01-4397-8C2A-C44F414B771D.jpeg