Punta Catalina to be off the grid until the end of May; blackouts to continue

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Punta-Catalina-El-Caribe-e1596467126992.jpg

Two major national grid power generators are out for maintenance works. The coal-fired 356 MW Punta Catalina 1 is off the grid through 13 May 2022. And now the Andres AES gas-fired power plant for six days starting on 7 May 2022. This is the explanation for the power outages that are affecting the country as of late.

The Punta Catalina Thermoelectric Power Plant nevertheless says the annual maintenance of Unit 1 was extended through 30 May, that is 18 days more than what was originally scheduled. A press release from the coal-fired generation company indicates that there have been delays in the delivery of equipment, services and materials to carry out the maintenance works due to the global supply chain crisis.

“The administration is doing its due diligence to speed up this process,” the statement said, while extending its apologies to the customers of EDENorte, EDEEste...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Parts procurement is very tough these days...slow & unreliable.....EVERYWHERE!!!
I agree, but how about preventive maintenance & storing at least the most vital parts? I know, this is the DR and both of those are completely unknown concepts here, sorry for talking nonsense here...

Reactions: windeguy

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
well - at least this gov't is getting around to repairs....lacking in the past
Repairs to this plant seem to be a lost cause. The corrupt manner in which this fossil fuel plant was conceived, constructed, and placed into service has been an albatross around the neck of the country. It continues to drain the treasury and stress the public with its lack of ability to provide. It should be shot to put it out of the country's misery.

Regards,

PJT

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
well - at least this gov't is getting around to repairs....lacking in the past
It's a brand new facility. What is really happening is the Edes, as a racketeering influenced and corrupt organization, are harder to reel in than the PN. The Punta Catalina is one of the biggest rackets in the Caribbean-Latam region. Power bills for the month will come out the same. No reason in modern history to take such a large facility off the grid for an entire month. This is just silliness

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
This is why DR govt is always a joke. Thank god I dont live there. I rather live in the US, 24/7 electric guaranteed.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
This is why DR govt is always a joke.
Don't say that... We were in JCE in Santo Domingo last year to get some papers for our son and saw a nice line of brand new black Chevy Tahoes and you name it.... They (the DR govt) "produce" quite a few shiny jeepetas frequently that are well-deserved and certainly cost no money... We even contributed to one of those jeepetas with the almost 2,000 pesos we had to pay there...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Punta Catalina was flawed from the start, and I do not believe that there is a "fix" for it. They have said that there is a "slight vibration" in the rotor....ahah? It is known that under assembly a crane operator let one of the shafts drop and they had to use the rotor of the second unit in order to get the first unit on line in time to make the government happy. Truly a bad and sad situation.
Still a curmudgeon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Punta Catalina was flawed from the start, and I do not believe that there is a "fix" for it. They have said that there is a "slight vibration" in the rotor....ahah? It is known that under assembly a crane operator let one of the shafts drop and they had to use the rotor of the second unit in order to get the first unit on line in time to make the government happy. Truly a bad and sad situation.
Still a curmudgeon
Long time no see HB. Yes I remember that story of dropping the shaft.
And I wondered if that was the reason for such "maintenance" now. Could be.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Power went out in Sosua, just after 3pm today.
That would be someone taking out a huge electric pole in front of the Metro station. The pole was hanging, suspended and held up by the wires I guess. Lucky the falling pole didn't crash the car completely.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I suspect this is an all night power outage.
The first day the bridge opens power goes out.
What kind of a moron could be driving that fast in that location? And it had to be a big vehicle.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I suspect this is an all night power outage.
The first day the bridge opens power goes out.
What kind of a moron could be driving that fast in that location? And it had to be a big vehicle.
Actually looked to be a sedan. But hey - us old expat geezers drive pretty slow in that area. But the yahoos ?

Like I posted earlier - "entitled" yahoos can ( and will ) fukc things up for everyone. And not just on the Cangrejo bridge fiasco.