getting ripped off by your internet provider? 1st Prize = Telenord

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
While the above makes sense, as far as I understand, the problem here is that usually, the modem/wifi router is ISP's property and they configure it so essentially it's the same ISP not providing good enough equipment to actually work properly with the WIFI. Yes, you can purchase a premium router IF that works with the ISP/router. I have understood that this can certainly be done though...
yes of course, you are right. But what I would recommend is to keep the current modem which is good… and add a quality wireless router for your devices to connect to. It’s cost effective, will provide your best wireless solution, and you can use it with any future modem.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
there is an app called wifi sweetspots - connect to your wifi and walk around the house and you will see what speed is negotiated between your phone and wifi radio/router/modem you can see what is happening. for example if you have modem with strong wifi,but your phone is standard wifi signal. so you may see better signal on your phone but modem will not hear as well from your phone and for internet you need it work both ways.
also with stronger signal you get into more interference.

therefore i personally would hesitate to invest into a modem because it may not fix the problem and may not be portable to a new ISP and may simply create more problems than solutions.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
While the above makes sense, as far as I understand, the problem here is that usually, the modem/wifi router is ISP's property and they configure it so essentially it's the same ISP not providing good enough equipment to actually work properly with the WIFI. Yes, you can purchase a premium router IF that works with the ISP/router. I have understood that this can certainly be done though...

Telenord said they have an enhanced/upgraded router on order but like so many lies from them, I'm not holding my breath. On Friday, I drove (not called) to the local Telenord office and said that we did not have service in the morning and they said they would send a technician that day. By 3:30pm or so, I had a bad feeling it was a lie. Sure enough, I drove to their local office again and many of their techs had parked their trucks on the lot and were heading home.

I caught the Manager by surprise so he had a technician follow me home. He had to recalibrate the router to function again. So that solved that for now.

Yesterday, we had an independent IT guy install a wireless and expensive NanoStation Loco M2 wi-fi extender that's primarily used for commercial settings. He then inserted a cable directly into the router from this LOCO device. On the secondary/wi-fi extender system, we're getting speeds between 35-50 if we're within about 40'-50' feet. It does drop down a bit when we're in the bedrooms due to the concrete block walls, but overall, I thought this was good enough for now and a clever trick.

Feb 7, 2007
The router MUST provide the full contracted speed even with the WIFI, so being wired cannot be the requirement.

Same with my Altice guy when I got Fiber Optic installed. He was struggling to get me to 100 Mbps on Wifi until I insisted that 96 Mbps was acceptable for me. lol

That's simply not true. All speeds offered are only at point of RJ45 connection. First of all, it's a standard practice worldwide, and second read your ToS.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's simply not true. All speeds offered are only at point of RJ45 connection. First of all, it's a standard practice worldwide, and second read your ToS.
Please note the first sentence in my post was a repost from another member, and the second sentence was my personal experience with the tech who installed my service.

Feb 7, 2007
Please note the first sentence in my post was a repost from another member, and the second sentence was my personal experience with the tech who installed my service.
OK sorry... Got it.
In any cases poor Altice guy ...
Even Indotel tells you to do measurement of speeds via Ethernet cable, which implies you not necessarily receive same speed on wifi as wired. While with smaller speeds this is not an issue, with speeds over 50 Mbps you will hardly get them on basic 2.4 GHz wifi, and not likely over 100 Mbps on 5 GHz wifi. You cannot expect to get 300 Mbps on wifi on 300 Mbps internet service.
Also the type of router matters, because no provider in the DR is going to give you a top class modem for a service that costs monthly a 1/3 of price of a residential service in the US. The OP mentioned ZTE F660, I buy those in China for 12 dollars... Imagine the quality that it must have ..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
OK sorry... Got it.
In any cases poor Altice guy ...
Even Indotel tells you to do measurement of speeds via Ethernet cable, which implies you not necessarily receive same speed on wifi as wired. While with smaller speeds this is not an issue, with speeds over 50 Mbps you will hardly get them on basic 2.4 GHz wifi, and not likely over 100 Mbps on 5 GHz wifi. You cannot expect to get 300 Mbps on wifi on 300 Mbps internet service.
Also the type of router matters, because no provider in the DR is going to give you a top class modem for a service that costs monthly a 1/3 of price of a residential service in the US. The OP mentioned ZTE F660, I buy those in China for 12 dollars... Imagine the quality that it must have ..

I agree. Even though I have wifi, my computer and TV are both hardwired. I get anywhere from 40-50 on my cel phone outside my apartment.