Sunwing agrees to double the arrival of Canadian tourists to Punta Cana and Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am surprised Puerto Plata was even mentioned for new flights. Must be because of the new housing developments going in and more expats living on the north coast, but Canadians still have that 6 month health care issue, silly as that rule is for them to deal with.

As for the education system, I don't think that can be helped, so getting more money from tourists remains job 1.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am surprised Puerto Plata was even mentioned for new flights. Must be because of the new housing developments going in and more expats living on the north coast, but Canadians still have that 6 month health care issue, silly as that rule is for them to deal with.

As for the education system, I don't think that can be helped, so getting more money from tourists remains job 1.
What on earth are ya talking about?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm not Canadian, but I recall reading here that there is a rule that limits how long a Canadian can be out of the country before being forced to give up their health coverage in Canada. That length of time is six months if I'm not mistaken.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

This strangeness for Canadians : https://www.knightsbridgefx.com/how-long-stay-outside-canada-without-losing-benefits/

How Long Can You Stay Outside Of Canada Without Losing Benefits​

When thinking about leaving the country, it is very important to know about the implications of your trip duration. If you plan on staying out of the country for an extended duration, you may eventually be restricted from certain national benefits at home. While this mainly applies to snowbirds, Canadians in general have a tendency to travel outside the country every now and again. The most crucial things to keep in mind when adventuring on foreign land is how long you’re able to legally stay there, and how long you can rely on your provincial support. Also, don't forget to look for a currency exchange before your trip.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN TRAVELLING OUTSIDE OF CANADA

Can I stay out of Canada for more than 6 months?

Depending on the governing provincial body that you’re subject to, there are certain rules you would need to follow to retain provincial medical insurance privileges while outside the country. Generally, each province/territory has a maximum time period for how long they can ensure your medical coverage.

Currently only residents of Nunavut are allowed to leave the country for 12 months (a full year) and retain territorial health care coverage. Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador can enjoy the second longest maximum duration at 8 months. Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick all fall under the 7 month category, in other words most of the Canadian population is only granted 7 months of provincial healthcare coverage upon departure. The shortest maximum coverage duration – 6 months – is applicable to residents of Quebec, Yukon, PEI, and Northwest Territories.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not Canadian, but I recall reading here that there is a rule that limits how long a Canadian can be out of the country before being forced to give up their health coverage in Canada. That length of time is six months if I'm not mistaken.
That is correct. Upon return we must wait 3 months to "legally" get our health care privileges back.