English Speakers Hiring

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Just three days ago, my brother told me that most folks with native or near-native English fluency are not taking Call Center jobs with wages such as those above.
He knows what he's talking about, as he possesses native fluency and has worked in CC.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Just three days ago, my brother told me that most folks with native or near-native English fluency are not taking Call Center jobs with wages such as those above.
He knows what he's talking about, as he possesses native fluency and has worked in CC.
13 years ago in SD they were paying 18-20k peso base per month. A real slave driving business. Super high turnover.

Most are doing this remotely from the comfort of their own homes now, making avg USD 7.00/hour plus incentive.

Reactions: Lucifer

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Interesting. If I do the arithmetic correctly, 170*8 = 1360 which is 460 or ~ 50% higher than the minimum. Plus you don't get dirty.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Interesting. If I do the arithmetic correctly, 170*8 = 1360 which is 460 or ~ 50% higher than the minimum. Plus you don't get dirty.
According to my brother, most positions at these centers exact a heavy toll on the part of the interpreter/customer service rep. due to the constant pressure to perform: one call after another; short-duration lunch breaks; and, most importantly, QUOTAS!

Supposedly, the stress level is astronomical.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've been in this industry a long time.
Those wages are too low for quality English speaking (or bilingual) agents in Santo Domingo.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been in this industry a long time.
Those wages are too low for quality English speaking (or bilingual) agents in Santo Domingo.
Not only low, but waaaaaaay too low. OP is dreaming. The ole' "People in Hell want ice water"

Big

Apr 24, 2019
$3.00 dollars an hour, no wonder why chicas sell their wares

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
$3.00 dollars an hour, no wonder why chicas sell their wares
Big I sympathize however many here would love a 29k month job. Even more people here manage with much less a month. Fair? No, but it is what it is and it is preferable to chicas selling their wares. For reference a recent college graduate in DR is lucky to land a 20k monthly job.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Big I sympathize however many here would love a 29k month job. Even more people here manage with much less a month. Fair? No, but it is what it is and it is preferable to chicas selling their wares. For reference a recent college graduate in DR is lucky to land a 20k monthly job.
What was the major? Receptionistism? I think there are sectors where grads are landing 30 and 40. Tourism, accounting etc

Contact center is bottom fishing. Unless, as i said up, you can get something online 7 to 10 USD/hour.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
There's a one-year-old video by a former Language Line interpreter in which he interviews other Dominican interpreters regarding the craft.
They all agree that the going rate of 160-170 DOP is too low for these times. They exhort folks to try to become medical interpreters, instead, where the potential to make better income (close to, and above, US$2000 a month) is feasible.

Reactions: lucanunez

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There's a one-year-old video by a former Language Line interpreter in which he interviews other Dominican interpreters regarding the craft.
They all agree that the going rate of 160-170 DOP is too low for these times. They exhort folks to try to become medical interpreters, instead, where the potential to make better income (close to, and above, US$2000 a month) is feasible.
Interpretation level language skills is very upper echelon. I'm very bilingual in pany but i am no interpreter by a long shot.

Very bilingual, highly ? Lol not so good in mi Inglee

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Interpretation level language skills is very upper echelon. I'm very bilingual in pany but i am no interpreter by a long shot.

Very bilingual, highly ? Lol not so good in mi Inglee
I agree. Language interpretation goes beyond bilingual skills.
I work as a medical interpreter/translator, and I can tell you that most folks think that all that's necessary is being bilingual. Bilingual skills are a given, but context matters, as well as accuracy and speed.

There are some interpreters who are too literal in their interpretations.

CASE IN POINT:
A doctor asked a mother if she had other kids. She replied, "tengo uno de cinco".
The interpreter said, "I have one of five."
He could've said, "I have a 5-year-old boy or I have a boy who's 5."

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
What was the major? Receptionistism? I think there are sectors where grads are landing 30 and 40. Tourism, accounting etc

Contact center is bottom fishing. Unless, as i said up, you can get something online 7 to 10 USD/hour.
Please list job for recent graduates with zero experience that pay 40k monthly. Many would be very appreciative. I guess that's why many recent graduates drive for uber or are unemployed because those 40k+ jobs are abundant.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree. Language interpretation goes beyond bilingual skills.
I work as a medical interpreter/translator, and I can tell you that most folks think that all that's necessary is being bilingual. Bilingual skills are a given, but context matters, as well as accuracy and speed.

There are some interpreters who are too literal in their interpretations.

CASE IN POINT:
A doctor asked a mother if she had other kids. She replied, "tengo uno de cinco".
The interpreter said, "I have one of five."
He could've said, "I have a 5-year-old boy or I have a boy who's 5."
Doctor: "who has the other 4??"

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Please list job for recent graduates with zero experience that pay 40k monthly. Many would be very appreciative. I guess that's why many recent graduates drive for uber or are unemployed because those 40k+ jobs are abundant.
1. Industrial engineering
2. Systems engineering
3. Accounting and financial engineering
4. Tourism management.

No one said 40+. I did say 30 to 40. Let's be real also, no one's gonna land a 40k gig with a liberal arts degree

Reactions: Big