Timber. Denuding the trees across from Sosua Beach

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Is anyone else alarmed that chain saws and huge excavators are felling huge trees on the South side of the road just East of the entrance to Charmaicos?
Expect most of the trees, including many Caoba trees to be toppled in the next few weeks as they punch a road in to built villas and apartments above Sosua Beach
So much for protecting the environment and the runoff from the hill above which crosses under the road to Sosua beach in two places.

And how in the heck can they expect a road entry there to not cause major problems ?
How in the heck did the Ambiente permit this project ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can't believe no one else is watching them strip the trees off the hillside overlooking Sosua Beach and has not commented.
It certainly isn't a surgical operation.
Reminds me of the song "Today Paradise Put Up a Parking Lot"
Once those hundred year old trees are cut they're gone and lots of the egrets that nest in them .

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
I can't believe no one else is watching them strip the trees off the hillside overlooking Sosua Beach and has not commented.
Once those hundred year old trees are cut they're gone and lots of the egrets that nest in them .
I would like to know what are the most active/aggessive organisations or associations which would take and follow up on such case. Certainly not the last one!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I suggest you tell the president:

@luisabinader

and

@ambienterd

Dieguito

Jan 23, 2018
It is starting....initially on the south side of the main road, soon (I believe) next to the beach...these developments will change the look of Sosua. It seems that a residential development is what they are starting to build here, hopefully something which respects the environment and does not destroy the beautiful look of the area. The beginning (see picture) does not look promising...from what I heard and from what I see I do not expect an eco friendly development here...I hope Medioambiente gave them a building permit because this is going to be something good . Build something good to see and the whole Sosua will benefit, build something ugly and the whole look of the hills behind the beach is ruined...

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I suspect a pedestrian overpass will soon become a reality.

Dieguito

Jan 23, 2018
No that doesn't pay a bribe
the owners of this property are not the same of the property next to the beach, different owners and different plans, I do not think a pedestrian overpass will ever be made.....I wonder how they will deal with the surface runoff from the top of the hill right in the middle of this development ....not to mention seawage (this is not a small house with a small septic tank, it looks like a big development).....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is anyone else alarmed that chain saws and huge excavators are felling huge trees on the South side of the road just East of the entrance to Charmaicos?
Expect most of the trees, including many Caoba trees to be toppled in the next few weeks as they punch a road in to built villas and apartments above Sosua Beach
So much for protecting the environment and the runoff from the hill above which crosses under the road to Sosua beach in two places.

And how in the heck can they expect a road entry there to not cause major problems ?
How in the heck did the Ambiente permit this project ?
Not alarmed since it was known that change was gonna come.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the owners of this property are not the same of the property next to the beach, different owners and different plans, I do not think a pedestrian overpass will ever be made.....I wonder how they will deal with the surface runoff from the top of the hill right in the middle of this development ....not to mention seawage (this is not a small house with a small septic tank, it looks like a big development).....
I thought they were the same owners. At least that is what others posted in the thread about the changes coming to the beach area.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I drove by there today. That is really an ugly scar on the landscape. Where is Medio Ambiente? Where is the group the got the Ritz Carlton project stopped?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I drove by there today. That is really an ugly scar on the landscape. Where is Medio Ambiente? Where is the group the got the Ritz Carlton project stopped?
They just are getting started. They will cut the whole hillside. There will be very little foliage when they finish.
And some of those trees are supposed to be protected. There are some real majestic ones being felled

• Sad
Reactions: cavok

Dieguito

Jan 23, 2018
It is probably, from what I heard, a well connected Dominican group developing here: they "deslinded" the land lot last year and they are already breaking ground, they got all the permits very quickly....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is probably, from what I heard, a well connected Dominican group developing here: they "deslinded" the land lot last year and they are already breaking ground, they got all the permits very quickly....
I'm sure they have their legal team handling and following up on everything.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They are going all the way up the hill. It will be dozens of apartments some villas and Condos.
It will be visible form the beach and the West side of Sosua and of course Charamicos.
How they plan to handle traffic is a big mystery. Imagine 500 cars a day trying to tun left onto Highway 5 just east of the road into Charamicos

Dieguito

Jan 23, 2018
They are going all the way up the hill. It will be dozens of apartments some villas and Condos.
It will be visible form the beach and the West side of Sosua and of course Charamicos.
How they plan to handle traffic is a big mystery. Imagine 500 cars a day trying to tun left onto Highway 5 just east of the road into Charamicos
it's a 15'000 square meters land lot, we are probably talking of something like 70 or 80 apartments....it seems they are cutting the trees to make an entrance from the road to Los Cerros (which by the way is a private road). Considering there is very little water in Los Cerros and no seawage system I am a bit worried....it is not only a traffic problem and a potential ecological issue

Reactions: Kricke87 and cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
it's a 15'000 square meters land lot, we are probably talking of something like 70 or 80 apartments....it seems they are cutting the trees to make an entrance from the road to Los Cerros (which by the way is a private road). Considering there is very little water in Los Cerros and no seawage system I am a bit worried....it is not only a traffic problem and a potential ecological issue
Speaking of ecological issues...
Does anyone know whether or not they finally fixed the broken pipe in front of 4 Roses on Pedro Clesante?
It was only leaking water since like 2012.
There is an entire thread dedicated to the up and coming changes to Playa Sosua.
No one should be surprised about them clearing the hillside.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The owner is the Govt. The Dept is Paliza.
It is scheduled to be 17 floors towering well over the beach plus a parking garage (About 200' high)
It will have to be lit on top with red lights (if not flashing white in the day) because of its height in line with the airport runway
About 3,000 people.
And all this sewerage will be dumping into a septic system above Sosua Beach.

Hepatitis anyone ?