adding a vpn to fiber optics modem

tripp789

May 4, 2018
ExpressVPN.com,s software can be sideloaded onto your router if compatible. I chose to buy a separate router already set up which I plugged into my existing Claro unit (fiber).
Get all your info together and contact them. They’ll tell you what you need and assist in the setup.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
How do I add a vpn to my fiber optics modem (ZTE). Any help would be appreciated.

You can use a browser plug-in with almost any VPN provider. Or a router programmed with your VPN provider details. My experience with the routers (tried many different ones) - they all slow down your internet speed when VPN is installed. If you need help to set up one - feel free to PM me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
ExpressVPN.com,s software can be sideloaded onto your router if compatible. I chose to buy a separate router already set up which I plugged into my existing Claro unit (fiber).
Get all your info together and contact them. They’ll tell you what you need and assist in the setup.
Bridging a router with a VPN - that really will slow your connection.
Much better just a software VPN.
Many sites will not let you access if they detect your VPN is spoofing your location.

Reactions: Gadfly

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
ExpressVPN.com,s software can be sideloaded onto your router if compatible.

Key word here is Compatible. Not many of those routers that the ISPs are using are compatible. But as others have said, you would rather need to purchase your own router that is compatible (you can generally see a list of compatible routers for the specific VPN you want to use on their website) and then connected it to your network. With many routers from the ISP, you can "turn-off" the router function on it and only use it as a modem and then just connect your other router instead.
My experience with the routers (tried many different ones) - they all slow down your internet speed when VPN is installed. If you need help to set up one - feel free to PM me.
Well, then you are not using a reputable VPN provider. Because the slow speed doesn't have anything to do with you connecting through another router, and what "slows" things down, is that you get a higher response time (ping) because, the signal instead of traveling from your router to the destination and then back, it needs to travel from your router to your VPN's router and then to the destination and then back to your VPN's router and then back to your router. So it add delays, but if you are using a reputable VPN provider the speed should almost be the same (unless you have really fast internet such as 500Mbit/sec or something like that).
But I do however agree that I prefer using software VPN instead because of this reason:
Many sites will not let you access if they detect your VPN is spoofing your location.
It's a little bit easier and faster to just turn it on or off when you need it if you have it right on your computer instead of on the router.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Not exactly true.

VPN is very CPU intensive. To improve your VPN throughput you would have to buy a router (business class) that has VPN hardware acceleration. You can't use a $20 router (with a stock firmware or DD-WRT installed on it) and expect the speeds of a $200+ router

If not ready to pay big $$ for a business class router then let the pc do the computations

Because the slow speed doesn't have anything to do with you connecting through another router, ...

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Not exactly true.

VPN is very CPU intensive. To improve your VPN throughput you would have to buy a router (business class) that has VPN hardware acceleration. You can't use a $20 router (with a stock firmware or DD-WRT installed on it) and expect the speeds of a $200+ router

If not ready to pay big $$ for a business class router then let the pc do the computations
First of all, those $20 routers that you may find here in your local PC shop are more useful as door stoppers than to use for your local network:LOL:. They are completely useless, and they aren't going to be supported to use a VPN firmware on them anyways. And for those that are, I would not recommend any under $100. And then again, it all depends on what regular speeds you are having. If you only have let's say 20/4 Mbit, to add a VPN to that, it won't make it slower as it's not that much data that has to pass through. But yes, if you have fiber optics with 100+ Mbit download speeds, you might (depending on your Service provider) see like %10 lower.
And good luck trying to find a "Business-class" router for $200.. :ROFLMAO: They start at around $1000....

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
How do I add a vpn to my fiber optics modem (ZTE). Any help would be appreciated.
Some modems provided by ISPs support PPTP or L2TP in client mode. If your modem is one of these, you can configure your modem to use your VPN account provided your VPN service provider supports either of these protocols. For example ExpressVPN supports L2TP/IPsec, SmartDNSproxy supports both PPTP and L2PT/IPsec and NordVPN doesn't support either.

For example my Altice provided ARRIS TG2482 supports L2PT/IPsec in client mode.

1653695333985.png

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Some modems provided by ISPs support PPTP or L2TP in client mode. If your modem is one of these, you can configure your modem to use your VPN account provided your VPN service provider supports either of these protocols. For example ExpressVPN supports L2TP/IPsec, SmartDNSproxy supports both PPTP and L2PT/IPsec and NordVPN doesn't support either.

View attachment 5702

View attachment 5702

Most VPN providers discontinued L2TP and PPTP protocols some years ago because they are insecure.

Reactions: chico bill

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Most VPN providers discontinued L2TP and PPTP protocols some years ago because they are insecure.
I know that some VPN providers have discontinued support for PPTP and L2TP for lack of security. PPTP is an ancient protocol, from the windows 95 days, and very insecure. However L2TP when coupled with IPsec is pretty secure. Have a look at this Stack Exchange question and answer for further details. That said, the OP asked for how to configure a fiber optic modem, perhaps ISP provided, with a VPN not recommendations of faster routers or secure protocols.

I offered the OP an example of my ISP provided router VPN configuration page and VPN service providers that offer the supported protocol. If the OP's router provides a similar option the OP now has an idea on how to proceed and where the supporting VPN service can be obtained.

It is certainly possible to use the el-cheapo router with perhaps not the most secure tunneling protocol if the goal is to protect mundane network traffic from a common low funded attacker. If the goal is to protect state secrets or sensitive research then I suggest going a different much more secure route than what the OP has in mind.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
It is certainly possible to use the el-cheapo router with perhaps not the most secure tunneling protocol if the goal is to protect mundane network traffic from a common low funded attacker. If the goal is to protect state secrets or sensitive research then I suggest going a different much more secure route than what the OP has in mind.

I don't know why the OP wants to use VPN, but personally it's not from a security aspect. If you're using a VPN on your home network for security, it would rather be because you don't want your ISP "spying" on you. And personally I don't really care if they would know what websites I visit, as the traffic to and from is already encrypted (if you're visiting websites using HTTPS). So from your local home network using a VPN isn't used to protect you from "common low funded attacker", unless they are already connected to your network, and then it's kind of point less either way. And to use it to be surfing anonymously, well if your logged in to your Google account everywhere and accept third party cookies, then it's also kind of pointless as they'll track you either way.

It's not like VPN is s holy grail to be surfing safely and anonymously.

Reactions: chico bill

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I don't know why the OP wants to use VPN, but personally it's not from a security aspect. If you're using a VPN on your home network for security, it would rather be because you don't want your ISP "spying" on you. And personally I don't really care if they would know what websites I visit, as the traffic to and from is already encrypted (if you're visiting websites using HTTPS). So from your local home network using a VPN isn't used to protect you from "common low funded attacker", unless they are already connected to your network, and then it's kind of point less either way. And to use it to be surfing anonymously, well if your logged in to your Google account everywhere and accept third party cookies, then it's also kind of pointless as they'll track you either way.

It's not like VPN is s holy grail to be surfing safely and anonymously.
I think the OP just wants to use a VPN to unblock geolocation blocked services like Amazon prime video and Netflix. If that's the case the OP can use a smart DNS and would be better served but this is just supposition on my part since the OP didn't say why the OP wanted to use a VPN. Personally I would not use a VPN on my router as most computers and handheld deices can use software provided by the VPN service provider that is secure and easy to disable when not needed and has the added benefit of not impacting all devices on the network. But, again, the OP asked for help in configuring a router with a VPN service not for advice on security or router speed and since the OP hasn't chimed in again with more info we are all just pissing in the wind at this point.

As to HTTPS SSL/TLS it is secure as far as we can tell but It could also be vulnerable or already breach but we just don't know. The protocol was breach about 10 years ago and could be breach again in the future. There are also factors that weaken our data security that isn't protocol weakness related. As an example Google recently issued a zero day vulnerability update to 3 billion Chrome users. Another issue is the sanction imposed on Russia. Russia creates its own TLS certificate authority to bypass sanctions. This will normalize the warning of invalid certificate when people visit Russian hosted sites weakening security. Finally even the RSA security algorithm relying on factoring large integers will eventually be vulnerable with the advancement on quantum computing. Microsoft claims breakthrough in quantum computer system. Anyway enough of this. We are way into the weed on this and somewhat off topic.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks everyone, great advice !!! What I was looking for is not possible without slowing down my speed or huge cost. I'll keep what I have - cracked firestick - vpn on my computer when needed - ( to download movies) .

again thanks for the great advice.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
I can't imagine needing a vpn to download movies when youre in the Dominican Republic. Is there something i dont know? the motion picture assocication of america has no jurisdiction in the DR to press any charges

Reactions: SKY

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can't imagine needing a vpn to download movies when youre in the Dominican Republic. Is there something i dont know? the motion picture assocication of america has no jurisdiction in the DR to press any charges
The amounts of content available on Netflix and Prime is much less without a VPN outside of the US. Some VPNs really put a dent in speed.

Having said that, the service you have very often has movies that are showing in local theaters here.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
The amounts of content available on Netflix and Prime is much less without a VPN outside of the US. Some VPNs really put a dent in speed.

Having said that, the service you have very often has movies that are showing in local theaters here.
Yes my service has no restrictions. you get everything included

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

No dent in speed with this one. Have been using it for many years. $40 per year on all your devices, Cells also.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
as an fyi, and for those who are technically inclined. if you have a home in the states, you can buy a router that has a vpn server built in. then you can use vpn client software to connect to your own home. basically you can use yourself as your own vpn provider.. all your internet traffic will bounce off your home. netflix (and everyone else) will see your traffic coming from your home in the states. You may need some help setting it up.. im sure theres tutorials out there tough

Reactions: Bred