‘CoComelon’ is Coming to Punta Cana

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
More great news for Tourism in the Dominican Republic..............

Falcon’s Beyond will build and own the 40,000-to-60,000-square-foot activity area featuring Moonbug’s characters as one of four locations in the Curiosity Playground. Other characters in the complex will come from PBS Kids shows such as “Dinosaur Train” and “Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum.”

The playground will be located on property owned by Meliá Hotels International SA, a Mallorca, Spain-based hotel operator.

Jan 9, 2004
More great news for Tourism in the Dominican Republic..............

Falcon’s Beyond will build and own the 40,000-to-60,000-square-foot activity area featuring Moonbug’s characters as one of four locations in the Curiosity Playground. Other characters in the complex will come from PBS Kids shows such as “Dinosaur Train” and “Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum.”

The playground will be located on property owned by Meliá Hotels International SA, a Mallorca, Spain-based hotel operator.

Indeed.........."real" good news for a change.............not the usual fluff pieces put out via the Ministry of Tourism and others.

I was told about this last June when I brought some electric vehicles to the DR for another tourist project and it is probably the single most important change to the tourist landscape in the Punta Cana region in at least a decade.

The park will be named KATMANDU and will occupy the space at the Palma Real Shopping Center.......which I am told will be completely torn down.

It will be to Punta Cana what Disney World is to Orlando (destination for families but on a smaller scale)......................and will likely spawn further investment of that nature in the region.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Indeed.........."real" good news for a change.............not the usual fluff pieces put out via the Ministry of Tourism and others.

I was told about this last June when I brought some electric vehicles to the DR for another tourist project and it is probably the single most important change to the tourist landscape in the Punta Cana region in at least a decade.

The park will be named KATMANDU and will occupy the space at the Palma Real Shopping Center.......which I am told will be completely torn down.

It will be to Punta Cana what Disney World is to Orlando (destination for families but on a smaller scale)......................and will likely spawn further investment of that nature in the region.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Reading the article I get the impression KATMANDU is one project, and Cocomelon is another. Am I missing something?

Jan 9, 2004
Reading the article I get the impression KATMANDU is one project, and Cocomelon is another. Am I missing something?
As I understand it, think of KATMANDU in the same way you think of Disney World.

Inside, Disney World is Epcot, Magic Kingdom etc. Inside KATMANDU will be a number of theme parks and Cocomelon is one or a part of one, along with Blippi......designed for the small fry.

That is but one of the many attractions/entertainment KATMANDU is scheduled to offer.

When I first heard about last year I was impressed......but like many of the projects envisioned over the years in PC related to tourism.......a bit skeptical.

Make no mistake, when this is completed it will be a significant step forward for the PC region..............and tourism in general.

It will be patterned after KATMANDU in Mallorca, Spain;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Feb 7, 2007
As I understand it, after reading the bloomberg article and the press releases on the website,
the structure of the complex will be - from top to bottom
FALCON's CENTRAL (project name, amusement + retail)
KATMANDU (amusement park)
CURIOSITY PLAYGROUND (free part of Katmandu)
COCOMELON (part of Curiosity Playground)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As I understand it, after reading the bloomberg article and the press releases on the website,
No doubt.
Let's hope they let the kids be kids and leave their stupidity in the States.

Jan 9, 2004

However they structure it…….it will not be cheap. Ticket prices are rumored to be over 100 USD per adult…….and near 100 USD for children.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
$100 is the new $10.
While I think there will be enough tourists willing to pay for such an experience (the amusement park is supposedly being limited to 4,000 people per day), there is still a large population of AI goers that expect/want to pay nothing further. The AI experience is marketed as a value play, flight/hotel/food/alcohol..............and there are those, not all, who refuse to even give a small propina for a job well done.

The question becomes then, without some discount mechanism, will a family of four be willing to pay what amounts to $400 USD for a trip to the amusement park.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones
Jan 9, 2004
It said in the article that Curiosity Playground will have free admission
Again, I am not sure how they will structure the area and what may or may not be free, but no one invests millions of dollars to give things away free. I am told from those at Melia, the ticket costs (whatever that may include) are north of $100 for adults and close to $100 for children.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Construction is well underway on Katmandu. They're pouring a LOT of concrete.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You got that right 4000 guests a day compared to 250,000.
What is that...like 2%
😂

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy
Jan 9, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2