Restaurants Santo Domingo

Aug 21, 2007
Back in Santo Domingo tomorrow. Am continuing to sample the best restaurants as recommended by you here. Tomorrow we have decided on Maraca.

https://www.maracamenu.com/eng

Pikobello wrote that I should first make reservations, and that made my decision where to go next. Any restaurant that needs reservations must be really good! And, of course, I made one!

Review to come! Am looking forward to a great meal!

Jan 9, 2004
Back in Santo Domingo tomorrow. Am continuing to sample the best restaurants as recommended by you here. Tomorrow we have decided on Maraca.

https://www.maracamenu.com/eng

Pikobello wrote that I should first make reservations, and that made my decision where to go next. Any restaurant that needs reservations must be really good! And, of course, I made one!

Review to come! Am looking forward to a great meal!
Bonus not to be missed..........................since you will be in the Colonial Zone...................visit the Tall Ships while you are there..........they will be berthed at the Don Diego terminal..........you can probably see them from the CZ.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
Maraca is one of my favorite restaurants in the capital. Love their mofongo with chicharrón!

Also try La Cassina, Peperoni SDQ, Lila, and of course Sophia’s (there’s the main one in Piantini, and their cafe, Cafe SBG, in BlueMall).

Aug 21, 2007
Maraca is one of my favorite restaurants in the capital. Love their mofongo with chicharrón!

Also try La Cassina, Peperoni SDQ, Lila, and of course Sophia’s (there’s the main one in Piantini, and their cafe, Cafe SBG, in BlueMall).

Ate at Maraca last night. As recommended, we had reservations at 7 pm. Arrived a few minutes early, told the maitre'd that we had reservations. She opened a book and I saw 2 -3 pages of reservations! You who recommended that was not kidding.

When they took us in, they asked whether we wanted to sit inside, outside, or in the bar. Some tables were occupied, so the choice was ours. It looked like they were set up for some large groups outside and we liked the ambiance of the bar looking out through the windows to the outside terraza, so we chose an intimate table in the corner there.

Our waiter arrived at the table to ask what kind of water we wanted and if we would like to order drinks. I had to ask him 3 times what he was saying, even though I understand Spanish. Problem was, he not only spoke rapidly, but he was Haitian and spoke Spanish with a think Creole accent. My Spanish is not THAT good!

Eventually, he got someone else to the table and we ordered our beverages - a vodka and soda and a bottle of wine.

The wine steward opened our wine with class of a fine restaurant. He swirled it himself before putting a sip in my husband's wine glass.

The problem came when our waiter returned to take our order.

First, let me explain the menu. There are actually 3 menu's - fish, campo, fire ( meats). And three sections of items for each, small, medium, and large. Being from North American and accustomed to appetizers, salads, and mains, I asked for an explanation. I was told the small was food enough for one. The medium and large were enough to share. It was not until I saw others eating that I understood that this was more or less a sharing menu. We ordered otherwise. One item from "small" which we requested they bring as an appetizer, from the medium menu we chose a salad to share, and my husband chose a salmon dish. From the large, I chose lamb pappardelle with mint.

We had a bit if a disagreement with the Haitian water who insisted that the fried okra appetizer was olives. Finally, he brought another waiter to the table who explained to him what okra was. Apparently, although we were using the English menu, he spoke only Spanish and even when we pointed, did not understand. After that, the other waiter took our order.

The okra was not like they do in southern US. It was more like tiny croquettes with a sauce and they were delicious. The salad we ordered was tangerine and goat cheese. It was huge, certainly enough to share and it was delicious. The dressing had a little kick to it, just enough to counter the smooth, warm taste of the goat cheese.

My husband loved the salmon and ate every bite. It was served on a bed of creamed corn. My lamb and pasta was good, but way too much, even though my husband shared it with me. The mint in it was a little overwhelming for the sauce. I picked most of it and put it aside.

One half hour into our stay, the restaurant was packed , every table taken, with people waiting in the lobby area as well as outside. We were the only gringos in the place. All other clientele appeared to be very wealthy, sophisticated Dominicans in their 20's and 30"s. It was the first time since I moved here 16 years ago that I saw classy Dominican women, obviously NOT prostitutes sitting at the bar alone. The woman in front of us sat down, ordered her own bottle of wine, chatted with the bartender, then later ordered her dinner, all dressed as if she just had come from work, but walked. She was wearing tennis shoes.

I understand why this restaurant draws this clientele. It has a sexy, sophisticated atmosphere that is also a little New Age. Outside, in the terraza area there was one wall facing the bar and rest of the restaurant. When darkness fell, the entire wall showed projections, changing every 10 minutes or so from tropical environments, to the skies full of stars, to a river and waterfall, to a wall of buildings in the Colonial Zone, to flamingos. It was so realistic that it appeared that you were actually there!

After dinner, we let the waiter order our dessert to share. I have no idea what they call it, but wow! It was like a flan with chocolate cream oozing from inside, served hot with a ball of ice cream. I could have eaten the entire dessert myself.

If we had another waiter, I would have ranked this restaurant 5 stars. It appeared he was the weakest among all waiters. Our dishes came with nothing to serve the items only our plates. I noticed other waiters with special tongs serving at their tables. We mucked through, using forks as spoons. We did not want to try to communicate to the water what was missing. Since the clientele are mostly Dominicans, perhaps they don't have a problem understanding rapidly spoken Spanish with a thick Creole accent. No discrimination intended. So the problem would be purely ours.

Our bill totaled around 10,000 pesos. The wine was 3,000.

I must add one other comment. North Coast tourists often ask us, don't we miss eating at a fine restaurant. Their implication is that on the North Coast they have not found one restaurant that would qualify as fine. Maybe I would agree with them. But the North Coast is not the entire Dominican Republic, and although so far I have only visited 3 of the restaurants recommended here on dr1, I would say that Naca'n, Maraca, and La Cassina could equal or surpass most of the best restaurants I have eaten at around the world.

I have a few great photos, will post them in a bit.

Thanks for reading.

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
Ate at Maraca last night. As recommended, we had reservations at 7 pm. Arrived a few minutes early, told the maitre'd that we had reservations. She opened a book and I saw 2 -3 pages of reservations! You who recommended that was not kidding.

When they took us in, they asked whether we wanted to sit inside, outside, or in the bar. Some tables were occupied, so the choice was ours. It looked like they were set up for some large groups outside and we liked the ambiance of the bar looking out through the windows to the outside terraza, so we chose an intimate table in the corner there.

Our waiter arrived at the table to ask what kind of water we wanted and if we would like to order drinks. I had to ask him 3 times what he was saying, even though I understand Spanish. Problem was, he not only spoke rapidly, but he was Haitian and spoke Spanish with a think Creole accent. My Spanish is not THAT good!

Eventually, he got someone else to the table and we ordered our beverages - a vodka and soda and a bottle of wine.

The wine steward opened our wine with class of a fine restaurant. He swirled it himself before putting a sip in my husband's wine glass.

The problem came when our waiter returned to take our order.

First, let me explain the menu. There are actually 3 menu's - fish, campo, fire ( meats). And three sections of items for each, small, medium, and large. Being from North American and accustomed to appetizers, salads, and mains, I asked for an explanation. I was told the small was food enough for one. The medium and large were enough to share. It was not until I saw others eating that I understood that this was more or less a sharing menu. We ordered otherwise. One item from "small" which we requested they bring as an appetizer, from the medium menu we chose a salad to share, and my husband chose a salmon dish. From the large, I chose lamb pappardelle with mint.

We had a bit if a disagreement with the Haitian water who insisted that the fried okra appetizer was olives. Finally, he brought another waiter to the table who explained to him what okra was. Apparently, although we were using the English menu, he spoke only Spanish and even when we pointed, did not understand. After that, the other waiter took our order.

The okra was not like they do in southern US. It was more like tiny croquettes with a sauce and they were delicious. The salad we ordered was tangerine and goat cheese. It was huge, certainly enough to share and it was delicious. The dressing had a little kick to it, just enough to counter the smooth, warm taste of the goat cheese.

My husband loved the salmon and ate every bite. It was served on a bed of creamed corn. My lamb and pasta was good, but way too much, even though my husband shared it with me. The mint in it was a little overwhelming for the sauce. I picked most of it and put it aside.

One half hour into our stay, the restaurant was packed , every table taken, with people waiting in the lobby area as well as outside. We were the only gringos in the place. All other clientele appeared to be very wealthy, sophisticated Dominicans in their 20's and 30"s. It was the first time since I moved here 16 years ago that I saw classy Dominican women, obviously NOT prostitutes sitting at the bar alone. The woman in front of us sat down, ordered her own bottle of wine, chatted with the bartender, then later ordered her dinner, all dressed as if she just had come from work, but walked. She was wearing tennis shoes.

I understand why this restaurant draws this clientele. It has a sexy, sophisticated atmosphere that is also a little New Age. Outside, in the terraza area there was one wall facing the bar and rest of the restaurant. When darkness fell, the entire wall showed projections, changing every 10 minutes or so from tropical environments, to the skies full of stars, to a river and waterfall, to a wall of buildings in the Colonial Zone, to flamingos. It was so realistic that it appeared that you were actually there!

After dinner, we let the waiter order our dessert to share. I have no idea what they call it, but wow! It was like a flan with chocolate cream oozing from inside, served hot with a ball of ice cream. I could have eaten the entire dessert myself.

If we had another waiter, I would have ranked this restaurant 5 stars. It appeared he was the weakest among all waiters. Our dishes came with nothing to serve the items only our plates. I noticed other waiters with special tongs serving at their tables. We mucked through, using forks as spoons. We did not want to try to communicate to the water what was missing. Since the clientele are mostly Dominicans, perhaps they don't have a problem understanding rapidly spoken Spanish with a thick Creole accent. No discrimination intended. So the problem would be purely ours.

Our bill totaled around 10,000 pesos. The wine was 3,000.

I must add one other comment. North Coast tourists often ask us, don't we miss eating at a fine restaurant. Their implication is that on the North Coast they have not found one restaurant that would qualify as fine. Maybe I would agree with them. But the North Coast is not the entire Dominican Republic, and although so far I have only visited 3 of the restaurants recommended here on dr1, I would say that Naca'n, Maraca, and La Cassina could equal or surpass most of the best restaurants I have eaten at around the world.

I have a few great photos, will post them in a bit.

Thanks for reading.
Great detailed post. After reading your post, I think I’ll be going there again on Friday with one of my dates to enjoy myself. Love the dessert there as well. Had it several times. Reservations are only really needed in the late evening and night though.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Aug 21, 2007
And would need to add that Blue Moon - although an altogether different experience and package- is probably closest to the experience in SD. However, Blue Moon does not offer a menu. It is a fixed meal. But- the client service, the preparations, the flavors and the atmosphere and experience are comparable.

Aug 21, 2007
Here are the photos. You are seeing still photos. I have a couple video clips where you can see and hear the water moving, the birds calling, etc. However, I think you get the idea. These photos were taken not outside in the terraza where the images could be directly seen, but inside the bar, looking out the window.

IMG_3063.jpg IMG_3073.jpegIMG_3075.jpegIMG_3074.jpeg IMG_3066.jpg

Aug 21, 2007
Giving this a bump. I know restaurants change over time and new ones open. Any new recommendations? Am heading there Friday and have tried several of those mentioned above.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Maybe this should be in the Living forum. Most of us travel in Santo Domingo from another part of the country, I think. But let me try it here.

Each time we go to SD we like to try a different fine restaurant. Maybe there is a previous thread here about this, but I haven't seen anything recently and since the pandemic, many places closed.

So, what is the one restaurant you would recommend for a really great meal? We are heading down next week to take someone to the airport. He is a meat eater, so a good steakhouse would be perfect, but we are open to any type of restaurant. Price is not an issue. Ambiance and good food are most important. And, of course, service.

What would you recommend and where is it located? Thanks for helping out!!!!!
Tripadvisor app is your gateway to all the reviews

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Maybe this should be in the Living forum. Most of us travel in Santo Domingo from another part of the country, I think. But let me try it here.

Each time we go to SD we like to try a different fine restaurant. Maybe there is a previous thread here about this, but I haven't seen anything recently and since the pandemic, many places closed.

So, what is the one restaurant you would recommend for a really great meal? We are heading down next week to take someone to the airport. He is a meat eater, so a good steakhouse would be perfect, but we are open to any type of restaurant. Price is not an issue. Ambiance and good food are most important. And, of course, service.

What would you recommend and where is it located? Thanks for helping out!!!!!
I read most of the replies and even thought I do NOT yet live in DR I have being there as tourist many times ; So here it’s my recommendations to places to Eat in santo domingo

STEAK = Tony roma , el Argentino , Hodelpa hotel ( inside restaurant , best churrasco in the country ).

SOUP : ADRIAN TROPICAL

Mediterranean : falafel zona colonial

Dominican : JALAO restaurant ,and Batey rest.,,, but but I hear people saying that even at a local comedor one can get great Dominican typical plates even better than a 5 star restaurant can make ,

Fusion : Japanese fusion rest. , krakos

PLACE TO BE SEEN rest. :any blue mall restaurant

Restaurant where you need to pass a background check , ethnicity background check , DNA test , a letter of recomendation from the Secretary of State to get in and finally a top society clearance = PEPPERONI RESTAURANT

OK go get ‘em cowboy , BON APPETITE 😋

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Place to be seen: any Blue Mall restaurant? No, I don't think so. Adrian Tropical, no just no. Peperoni not as exclusive (as your post leads one to believe), expensive and wasn't good at all.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I read most of the replies and even thought I do NOT yet live in DR I have being there as tourist many times ; So here it’s my recommendations to places to Eat in santo domingo

STEAK = Tony roma , el Argentino , Hodelpa hotel ( inside restaurant , best churrasco in the country ).

SOUP : ADRIAN TROPICAL

Mediterranean : falafel zona colonial

Dominican : JALAO restaurant ,and Batey rest.,,, but but I hear people saying that even at a local comedor one can get great Dominican typical plates even better than a 5 star restaurant can make ,

Fusion : Japanese fusion rest. , krakos

PLACE TO BE SEEN rest. :any blue mall restaurant

Restaurant where you need to pass a background check , ethnicity background check , DNA test , a letter of recomendation from the Secretary of State to get in and finally a top society clearance = PEPPERONI RESTAURANT

OK go get ‘em cowboy , BON APPETITE 😋

Good try, but way outdated list there, Kimosabe.

Reactions: keepcoming

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
These options may be less "Fine" than you desire, or may be perfectly adequate but I found they are all great quality and decent prices. You can get in and out spending between 2ish-6 mil pesos in any of these places and have a great day/evening with 2 people.

Sushi -

Samurai - My favorite spot for sushi in the city but I have a number of places I need to cross off my list. Best wasabi I've ever tried in my life. Literally.
Nau - Super high class ambiance, great location inside of some huge hotel building that I forgot the name of
Asian market - Really cool Jersey City/NYC feel. Good food, great prices, some of the best waitstaff I've experienced here.

Asian -
Wu - Classic mid-high class chinese spot
Asian market
Zen Kitchen in Galeria 360. Decent spot but not on the level of Wu or Asian Market. A little more commercial

Haitian -
Maison Kreyol - probably my favorite spot in the country. Great food, great prices, great ambiance, service can be a little slow. I highly recommend a service of the fried goat with black rice (djon djon), sopa de ayuama and a side of tostones to dip into the sopa de ayuama. Incredibly delicious sober, even better after a couple beers.
Aali - more expensive than Maison Kreyol, worse ambiance, better presentation, same flavor

Someone else mentioned El Buho, I agree.
Loretta Cafe Bistro - Very clean, solid middle-middle - middle upper class location. Lots of rich people, lots of events held here. Honestly I feel a bit uncomfortable coming here as it's a little too much for me but it really is a gorgeous spot and the service is outstanding

Breakfast - Flor de Café - wear something appropriate. Lots of people of status come here. middle middle to middle upper class spot. Great presentation, decent prices, incredibly amazing ambiance/scenery, great place for a coffee/breakfast date. You can have this one freebie. Come early on saturday or sunday as it will be packed.

Affogato - More of a lazy sunday morning diner but with great ambiance and decent food. Nothing amazing, just solid diner food. Younger, hipper spot

Cafe Barista & Co. - ONLY the one in Zona Colonial. Very cool setup, very memorable location. Honestly it smells a little dank inside if you sit towards the front, but there is additional seating in the rear. Chill location, very nice look, other than that sorta regular coffe and pastries spot. I don't recommend the food, though that is only because I've had bad experiences at their other location.

Mexican -
Gastronomía Mexicana - great guacamole artesenal. Make sure to order that one and not the regular guacamole.
La Catrina - Amazing, but expensive/small portion Birra. Great mole enchiladas. More expensive than Gastronomía but great vibe and good for drinking and eating.

Mediterranean/Halaal/Middle Eastern
La Libanesa - delicious mediterranean food. More authentic than Hummus though I wouldn't say it's necessarily better. Solid spot

DEFINITELY not fine dining but I recommend FreshFresh Cafe SD, lots of healthy options, juices, vegan bowls, lots of meat options as well.

SLEEPER SPOT - Indian & Pakistani Desi Halaal food - mostly takeout only. Technically you can eat there but it's literally someone's apartment and you'll be eating in the open kitchen/living room, watching them prepare food for takeout orders. Literally one of the best meals I've had in my entire time here. Super affordable. Super delicious

Vikingos - best wings I"ve had here so far. Obviously not a "fine dining spot" but a really solid, safe location to eat wings and drink beers with friends.

SBG - I didn't enjoy.
Don Pepe's - I did not enjoy. SUPER HELLA fancy. If that's your thing you may enjoy it.
Sully - Great prices, great portions, incredibly so really. Super together spot. Not really my flavor though. Food is a bit greasy. Service is immaculate. I'll never forget describing it to someone - I poured my last bit of water from the bottle into the glass and someone came over instantly and took the plastic bottle away and asked if I needed another. There are always 4-5 waiters standing around "doing nothing" - waiting patiently for whatever you might need.
Adrian Tropical - Not fine dining. I understand why some people like it. Not my kind of place