Best options for purchasing a vehicle (used and new)

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Not really interested in the used options here although you're welcome to share. Used you just need common sense and negotiation skills and mechanical knowledge essentially to weigh the deal.

I am interested in buying a truck here i.e Toyota Hilux. or something of similar build quality. What are the leasing options here currently like? buying new is expensive and imo not worth it in the Dominican as the prices are high also a high risk of getting bumps and scrapes.

Can you share what you have currently, where you bought it, how you rate the service, monthly payments ( ball-park ) and any other relevant information or tips? do you regret it ? is there anything you wish you would have done differently ? thank you.

Jan 9, 2004
Not really interested in the used options here although you're welcome to share. Used you just need common sense and negotiation skills and mechanical knowledge essentially to weigh the deal.
Buying used in the DR requires much more skill than you think.
I am interested in buying a truck here i.e Toyota Hilux. or something of similar build quality. What are the leasing options here currently like? buying new is expensive and imo not worth it in the Dominican as the prices are high also a high risk of getting bumps and scrapes.

Unlike many other countries, leasing options in the DR are few and far between.
Can you share what you have currently, where you bought it, how you rate the service, monthly payments ( ball-park ) and any other relevant information or tips? do you regret it ? is there anything you wish you would have done differently ? thank you.
All of my vehicles were imported by me from the US.

All vehicles in the DR are expensive due to taxes, fees, etc. Expect to pay 50% more than you would pay if in the US.............unless you qualify for a tax reduction.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We purchased our first ever vehicle almost 5 years ago from someone we know personally and who is the owner of an agency... I would definitely not do anything differently but our case really does not compare to if you just go car-hunting... We managed to find a vehicle that had been owned exclusively by other expats and the condition was what you can expect... We financed it but again, due to this someone we know personally...

Yes, everything with vehicle purchase is expensive here, for which reason I'm giving this one all the maintenance very carefully, as we're not looking to purchase further vehicles here anytime near in the future...

Very many years ago, the company I worked for in Santo Domingo did purchase me a vehicle that was exlcusively in my use and that vehicle was inspected by a mechanic (from here) before purchase... Still, it practically broke down after just 6 months of ME using it (I have driven our current vehicle for those close to 5 years and it even runs smoother than it used to, thanks to very careful maintenance and driving habits, odometer says currently 140,000 kms)... The invoice for all the parts was close to 50k in pesos... Thankfully, it was the property of the company I worked for... So this is just to emphasize that buying a used vehicle here is really difficult and you have to be careful... I would, if possible, bring an expat (like The Gorgon) who knows about cars with you...

arete92

Jul 5, 2018

All vehicles in the DR are expensive due to taxes, fees, etc. Expect to pay 50% more than you would pay if in the US.............unless you qualify for a tax reduction.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
On the leasing options...

OK but how is it that I see so many new or within 5 year old vehicles on the North coast ? when i look in the vehicle 85% of them are Dominicans that are professional but I know for a fact they're not making more than 60,000 DOP a month..

Jan 9, 2004
On the leasing options...

OK but how is it that I see so many new or within 5 year old vehicles on the North coast ? when i look in the vehicle 85% of them are Dominicans that are professional but I know for a fact they're not making more than 60,000 DOP a month..
They often pool family resources and/or you have multiple generations living in the same casa to save money, so they can show/drive their perceived wealth/status.

Having multiple Dominican clients who buy/sell and ship cars, they will tell you that culturally Dominicans like to show/drive their wealth.............whether real or not...........and often times the vehicle ends up getting repossessed or turned back into the dealer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
They often pool family resources and/or you have multiple generations living in the same casa to save money, so they can show/drive their perceived wealth/status.

Having multiple Dominican clients who buy/sell and ship cars, they will tell you that culturally Dominicans like to show/drive their wealth.............whether real or not...........and often times the vehicle ends up getting repossessed or turned back into the dealer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Funny thing I have observed... Knowing approximately the prices of real estate in different parts of POP, the vehicles in the poorer parts are usually those recently imported and thus more expensive CRVs you name it whereas many times (not always) in residendial areas the vehicles are much more "humble" in a way... Our neighbors, who are expats and entrepreneurs, drive with a smaller end Ford/VW/Kia, for example... Then again, they are expats so exactly what you posted regarding cultural differences...

Then again, back when we lived in a barrio, I witnessed people living in very poor conditions to drive new CRVs etc without any plates... Then the cars disappeared...

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Funny thing I have observed... Knowing approximately the prices of real estate in different parts of POP, the vehicles in the poorer parts are usually those recently imported and thus more expensive CRVs you name it whereas many times (not always) in residendial areas the vehicles are much more "humble" in a way... Our neighbors, who are expats and entrepreneurs, drive with a smaller end Ford/VW/Kia, for example... Then again, they are expats so exactly what you posted regarding cultural differences...

Then again, back when we lived in a barrio, I witnessed people living in very poor conditions to drive new CRVs etc without any plates... Then the cars disappeared...
In my home country I drive a very humble vehicle and as a result owe nothing on it but maintain it well. Here i would like to do the same but I don't think I would be comfortable driving a smaller car here; most have been outfitted to use propane but the size of the holes on the road are suspension killers along with the caution that's required to cross the drainage lines.

I live in a middle-class neighbourhood and there are a few nice vehicles nothing crazy. If I go down a bit it turns into a lower class barrio and ironically the vehicles get better from what I observe.

Nice thing about here is that if you do have the money to buy a new vehicle they don't often corrode like they would in Canada or the upper states due to the salt/sand and snow. But I have seen so many brand new vehicles here with ugly scratches and key marks; Dominicans are just not very respectful of others property in general unless you somehow put barb-wire or a giant bubble around it.

Does anyone have any prices for what they're currently leasing?

At this point it feels like the opinion is to bring someone knowledgeable with you to buy a used vehicle... which i'm not disagreeing with; for me I just want to weigh everything and come to a consensuses on how to proceed.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Curious with this statement here... I know never to trust the odoms here, make sure they have the proper ownership and documentation and everything else, making sure there are no electrical gremlins and making sure the engine is mechanically healthy ( scares me how they change oil here ) are we talking about the actual mechanical condition here ? or other things that become problems ?

Jan 9, 2004

Curious with this statement here... I know never to trust the odoms here,
Exactly. Rolling back odometers is almost standard operating procedure here. Unless you have the proper software program running on a laptop or scanning device (expensive) it is near impossible to detect. And if you think a CarFax/AutoCheck report will help solve the dilemma....think again. Most auto rental fleets (Hertz/Avis/Alamo/Budget etc., are all self insured...........thus their vehicles are not reported to CarFax/AutoCheck databases (usually done by insurers after an accident)...............and they are major sellers at car auctions.............to which many buyers (heavily foreign) line up to bid/buy their crashed/hit vehicles.........knowing once fixed there is no paper trail to the accident.

So called "salvage" vehicles are illegal to import.............but they are here..........and there are lots of them.

make sure they have the proper ownership and documentation and everything else,

Lots and lots of vehicles being driven by buyers who never bothered to do the transfer paperwork and will gladly sell you a vehicle they do not "legally" own.

making sure there are no electrical gremlins and making sure the engine is mechanically healthy ( scares me how they change oil here ) are we talking about the actual mechanical condition here ? or other things that become problems ?

Today's vehicles (2016 and newer) have become extremely sophisticated with lots and lots of sensors/electrical components that require professionals with the proper tools/equipment to diagnose and repair. Those professionals tend to be few and far between in the DR.............and if they are trained and have the proper equipment......are expensive.

As to oil...............all I can say is WOW. I have watched people mix/add regular oil with synthetic or vice versa............and even some add used oil.

Also, it is rather amazing how bad some people treat their vehicles or ignore the signs of necessary maintenance................not all do this...............but know there are many. Many who get to use a family members vehicle, who currently lives in the US, shipped it down to the DR, with a promise from a friend/family member they would "take care" of it..............yet do not have the funds to do so.

Unless you buy new here, or used from someone you know/trust, know a dealer personally, used car buying here is a game of chance.............and there are very few people with the equipment/expertise to separate the good cars from the bad.

That is not to say, it cannot be done..............just that the odds are often stacked against you here.............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
bumps and scrapes are guaranteed - and usually occur the first time you go to a shopping center

Reactions: NotLurking

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I live in a middle-class neighbourhood and there are a few nice vehicles nothing crazy. If I go down a bit it turns into a lower class barrio and ironically the vehicles get better from what I observe.

Exactly. I'm glad I'm not alone with this observation.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
bumps and scrapes are guaranteed - and usually occur the first time you go to a shopping center
Malls and supermarkets are the worst. Come to think of it consider your new to you car like a chalk board. Everyone scribbles, dings and mar it without regards or respect. Yuck! Oh one last thing, if someone doesn't like you or your car, be assured your car will get some unwanted decorations by way of a key or piece of glass bottle scraped from the tail end to the front end without skipping the doors. I've seen a few cars here with the mark of key scraping damage.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com

You're in luck, I'm selling my truck. It's not aa comfortable s a HiLux, but it's a strong 4 x4 turbo diesel with a German chip for power and economy. Four Hella driving lights, Yokohama Geolander AT tires with 80% or 90% of the tread. This is in no way a lux vehicle--it's a working man's truck and has been exceedingly well-maintained since I bought it new in 2012. Vehicles are expensive here; this one is too. $1,250,000 dop

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
You're in luck, I'm selling my truck. It's not aa comfortable s a HiLux, but it's a strong 4 x4 turbo diesel with a German chip for power and economy. Four Hella driving lights, Yokohama Geolander AT tires with 80% or 90% of the tread. This is in no way a lux vehicle--it's a working man's truck and has been exceedingly well-maintained since I bought it new in 2012. Vehicles are expensive here; this one is too. $1,250,000 dop
Oh, yes--it has dings and scratches, but has almost always been waxed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That’s very good for 10yrs
Excelente

And a good brand
You should do well with it

Have you spoken to Gorgon, Mike Logan?
He might have buyer

Reactions: Auryn

arete92

Jul 5, 2018

I am scoping for the fall as I am currently building my house. But I would be interested when it gets closer to that time, if you have babied it like you claim and it's diesel ( I hope it's manual ) and has that amount of KM on it for a diesel that's very low mileage for that... I'm not worried about the cosmetic scratches here and there; I want a truck I can trust and have for a very long time. You say garage; do you have a shop with other vehicles for sale potentially or you're referring to w/e you're storing the vehicle?

i'm assuming it's a frontier ?

Yeah it's expensive but so are seized engines with a fancy body held together by smiling faces and the word amigo to finish sentences off.